Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

stuartbert two hats

What's your best guess?   

1,012 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

6 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

That lovely bouncer is a personal friend of mine and he runs the company.. Its also his security firm that looks after pilton village when the festival is on.. I totally agree with you that he's not NHS etc but these security companies do have to do alot of health welfare and safety training nowadays... 

This isn't HIS advice but if knowing him as I do he thinks it's good enough to share then so do I.. And if I read it its really only common sense stuff.....

and when you think about this not shaking hands but do the elbow thing well the government say to cough into your elbow.. Lol 

I think the more you know the better you will be prepared.. 

Great, but I wasn't saying that you shouldn't believe him if you know him, however without knowing any of this nobody else should believe it.

How else do we determine what is good advice to follow without checking thatthe source has the necessary credentials? In this case, only you could have known that as there's nothing on his FB profile to suggest that there's any difference between his post and numerous other similar posts giving absolutely terrible advice.

Even a few of his own friends have made negative comments on his FB post suggesting it may not be the best advice.

Just now, Ozanne said:

Cobra meeting tomorrow and it looks like BJ will announce we are moving to the delay stage, looks like some restrictions will come into place as well.

About time I reckon... I know it's only one day but the place in China where it came from have had there first day with no cases.. 

Just now, Stokesy10 said:

If Glasto is called off shall we all do what they've done in the football matches behind closed doors and congregate in our thousands at the gates, rendering the cancellations pointless?

I could sing Wonderwall?

Are you any good?

1 minute ago, bombfrog said:

Great, but I wasn't saying that you shouldn't believe him if you know him, however without knowing any of this nobody else should believe it.

How else do we determine what is good advice to follow without checking thatthe source has the necessary credentials? In this case, only you could have known that as there's nothing on his FB profile to suggest that there's any difference between his post and numerous other similar posts giving absolutely terrible advice.

Even a few of his own friends have made negative comments on his FB post suggesting it may not be the best advice.

I suppose not all advice is going to be good where ever it comes from.. This lock down issue has people split into good and bad.. I thing Yea lock down now and hope to slow the thing down but for others this could really be bad for them.. 

It's crazy how Flipping brexshit is done and now it's all about this virus... All we want to do is go to a Flipping festival lol

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

It'll be interesting to see how far the restrictions go, from the sounds of it they won't be that severe to be honest, just 'suggestions' with schools closing.

Expect them to ramp up for a period of time then have total lock down for a few weeks. 

4 minutes ago, Jack.194 said:

Is moving into the delay stage a good thing or bad thing for Glastonbury?

This seems to be moving to the delay phase a week or so ahead of schedule, so I'd say reaching the phase of cancelling events and school etc. sooner is probably better news than if they started the delay phase in mid April. 

Still, no real difference until this time next month when we'll know more.

7 minutes ago, Jack.194 said:

Is moving into the delay stage a good thing or bad thing for Glastonbury?

I think it gives Glastonbury the best possible chance of going ahead personally. The earlier the delay stage starts the better, Glasto is three and half months away, they won’t be able to keep us in the delay phase beyond a certain period, it’s just not feasible.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Breeze said:

This from the government’s own Pandemic Mitigation Review:

2.25 Evidence supporting the role of mass gatherings in the transmission of influenza comes from events where there are crowds with high densities, and also where the participants are likely to live close together for prolonged periods, such as large musical festivals (Department of Health 2011 I). In these events, crowded accommodation is also likely to be relatively basic, such as communal camp style living. It seems apparent that events where close contact among participants extends beyond event venues and into accommodation areas are most associated with influenza. Event size per se does not seem to be a critical factor.

Full doc here for those interested: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/215666/dh_125333.pdf

We're fucked!!! ;)

No really, I think we are!

1 minute ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I think it gives Glastonbury the best possible chance of going ahead personally. The earlier the delay stage starts the better, Glasto is three and half months away, they won’t be able to keep us in the delay phase beyond a certain period, it’s just not feasible.

Agree. If we must have a lockdown let’s get it done sooner rather than later. 

3 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Yep, agreed.

7 minutes ago, Breeze said:

This shows Singapore and Hong Kong approach Vs UKs - we don’t seem to have learnt much.

91F3748B-2811-4C65-917C-EE7F873EA6C8.jpeg

They aren't great comparisons for a number of reasons. Very different political cultures/powers and probably most crucially, they are effectively island city states. It makes a lot of the more restrictive measures easier to enforce.

1 minute ago, Benja100 said:

Isn’t the point of the delay phase to slow the increase of cases until the weather improves. Flu season is usually Feb isn’t it. 

Of all the festivals, Glasto is the one that is more financially resilient, that’s a good thing as it’s less of a risk for eavis to gamble on continuing with it

One things for sure if it’s cancelled don’t expect to automatically get a ticket for the next one, it’ll be back to f5

There isn’t any real evidence that the weather will help. The delay phase is to try and attempt to flatten cases out over a longer period so the NHS isn’t overrun

How can Glastonbury plan and proceed through construction (with all associated costs) during a delay phase if the delay phase bans large events and does not have a defined end point? Would be very risky investment, no?

Sorry to be a downer but I’m revising my likelihood down not up. It sucks but unless rising temps eradicate it nearly overnight (most epidemiologists I’ve read seem to think this unlikely) I can’t see how any festivals will be on in early summer. Maybe Glasto can postpone rather than cancel though?

If April second payment goes ahead that may be a good sign of their intent to delay rather than cancel?

2 minutes ago, Breeze said:

How can Glastonbury plan and proceed through construction (with all associated costs) during a delay phase if the delay phase bans large events and does not have a defined end point? Would be very risky investment, no?

Sorry to be a downer but I’m revising my likelihood down not up. It sucks but unless rising temps eradicate it nearly overnight (most epidemiologists I’ve read seem to think this unlikely) I can’t see how any festivals will be on in early summer. Maybe Glasto can postpone rather than cancel though?

If April second payment goes ahead that may be a good sign of their intent to delay rather than cancel?

Most countries that have implemented such measures have given specific end dates, you can only assume our government will do the same. If not no doubt behind the scenes they will be able to give definitive guidance to not just Glastonbury, but the hundreds of other events happening over the summer