Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

stuartbert two hats

What's your best guess?   

1,012 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

Just now, Chrisp1986 said:

This festival doesnt seem concerned.....

I don't think a festival putting out a poster is a look in to whether they are concerned or not.

For most it has to be business as usual until anything is forced upon them by the government.

2 minutes ago, Gregfc15 said:

I'd class myself as one of the more positive 'let's listen the experts' type's on here, but i'm feeling pretty broken after today. 

I've always been positive but there has to be a point where realism hits you unfortunately.

We are about to go through the toughest period many of us would have experienced in our lifetimes from an economic and social point of view. 

No hiding from that now.

5 hours ago, H.M.V said:

All travel is going to be banned from the states to the rest of the world. The state of the situation over there is fucking terrifying. The cost for tests, no insurance, zero hours and no plan. It's the last place I would travel to. Sorry to our American pals. Big hugs. X

Can’t upvote for some reason (not done any today so maybe they’re on strict rations now) but I agree completely. The rest of the world should be restricting flights from the US.

Like Italy they only made the virus public when people actually starting dying. The amount of US tourists worldwide is huge, who knows how long it’s been spreading in America. Maybe if they actually tested some more people we might have a better understanding of how bad it is over there.

The same with Russia, those numbers are too low for a country that size especially one that shares an extensive border with China. 

I don't feel any more perturbed by it all because it's still following the pattern that we expected it would. We knew full well things would get worse.

The main surprise is how quickly we have reached this point. Earlier in the week it seemed like we'd reach this point around the end of March, but things have accelerated. And that's probably a good thing tbh since it means we're taking more extreme action sooner. 

36 minutes ago, Gregfc15 said:

The while you were sleeping update for our UK friends

(stolen from the Guardian, and will hopefully (but probably not) stop the "have you heard this happened posts every 2 hours)

• US President Donald Trump introduced a total travel ban from Europe (schnegen area), excluding the UK, for 30 days. The ban does not extend to trade.
  • Actors Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson have announced that they have both tested positive for Covid-19 while filming in Australia.
  • The St. Patrick’s Day parade in New York City has been canceled this year for the first time since 1762, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo said on Wednesday night.
  • The total number of coronavirus cases worldwide now stands at 126,135, according to figures from Johns Hopkins University.
  • The NBA has suspended play indefinitely after after a player on the Utah Jazz preliminarily tested positive for Covid-19.
  • Two more Formula One team members have been tested for the coronavirus at the Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne. The event has not been cancelled.
  • Juventus defender Daniele Rugani has tested positive for coronavirus, the Serie A club said on Wednesday.

2 NBA players tested positive 

39 minutes ago, Gregfc15 said:
  •  
  • Juventus defender Daniele Rugani has tested positive for coronavirus, the Serie A club said on Wednesday.

I know it's an incredibly minor point all things considered, but I'm not sure I can realistically see the football season finishing, especially the Champions League. 

There's surely zero chance Juve will play next week? Then postponing that game but moving forward with the quarter finals would be a nightmare. Feel like the whole thing might be called off (which as a City fan, with Liverpool out, would be a kick in the nuts 😂

3 minutes ago, jparx said:

I know it's an incredibly minor point all things considered, but I'm not sure I can realistically see the football season finishing, especially the Champions League. 

There's surely zero chance Juve will play next week? Then postponing that game but moving forward with the quarter finals would be a nightmare. Feel like the whole thing might be called off (which as a City fan, with Liverpool out, would be a kick in the nuts 😂

As a Leeds fan I'm resigned to the football season finishing prematurely and us being stuck in the championship forever. 

2 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

As a Leeds fan I'm resigned to the football season finishing prematurely and us being stuck in the championship forever. 

As a fellow Leeds fan have faith. The EFL can’t keep us down forever. We are going up. MOT

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, kalifire said:

Is anyone else scared at this point? 

Maybe I’ve been following this too closely, but I’ve yet to read a single model of the near future in which things don’t get very dark very quickly.

Normal life is about to disappear. It’ll only be temporary, but we will each have a critical responsibility to play ball. I fear that in an age where conspiracy theories and ‘alternative facts’ feel so vindicated, fuckwits will stop this from being a short term issue. 

And as if to prove your point:

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Homer said:

Anyone know what size of event banning gatherings of a certain size would equate to?

would gigs and club nights, for instance, be restricted?

Other countries have cancelled anything with capacities over 500-1000 people. I dont know how that could only be restricted to gigs and sporting events when bars and clubs go way over this amount of people and closing them for even a couple of days could drive smaller businesses into the ground.

Edited by kaytee...