Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

stuartbert two hats

What's your best guess?   

1,012 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

8 minutes ago, Friendly Banter said:

Trump just announced suspension of US travel from* Europe.  Everywhere except the UK.  
This is going to change all of my plans outside of Glastonbury.   Holy hell. 

edit: FROM Europe.  Still.  

Wow. I can see why he's doing this but he'll be screwed if he's still trying to blame Europe in 2 weeks when its still spreading there...

10 minutes ago, Friendly Banter said:

Trump just announced suspension of US travel from* Europe.  Everywhere except the UK.  
This is going to change all of my plans outside of Glastonbury.   Holy hell. 

edit: FROM Europe.  Still.  

All travel is going to be banned from the states to the rest of the world. The state of the situation over there is fucking terrifying. The cost for tests, no insurance, zero hours and no plan. It's the last place I would travel to. Sorry to our American pals. Big hugs. X

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, efcfanwirral said:

Honestly, I'd be surprised if they actually do these things now - I imagine they'll announce plans to enact plans 

This article; from someone who I envy for their way with data and charts, is brilliant. It is essentially statistical modelling of it all based on the countries seeing outbreaks so far. Makes for sobering, but essential reading 

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

Just wanted to echo the thanks for this article. Best one I've seen yet. Detailed but accessible, in plain spoken English.

13 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

All travel is going to be banned from the states to the rest of the world. The state of the situation over there is fucking terrifying. The cost for tests, no insurance, zero hours and no plan. It's the last place I would travel to. Sorry to our American pals. Big hugs. X

Yep. Trump is currently more interesting in being seen to be Presidential than in being honest with his people. He must have been told how bad it is privately. He escaped impeachment but his handling of this will be his legacy.

I agree. He must have been warned privately.  I mean the numbers that are being shared with us at work don’t seem real and we are getting it from a government source. 

Also, travel is suspended FROM Europe to the US, everywhere but the UK.  Exemptions will be made for US citizens with screening procedures.  So US citizens can travel to Europe, but coming back might be an issue with quarantine.   Europeans not from the UK will not be able to go to the US. 

Edited by Friendly Banter

28 minutes ago, Friendly Banter said:

I agree. He must have been warned privately.  I mean the numbers that are being shared with us at work don’t seem real and we are getting it from a government source. 

Also, travel is suspended FROM Europe to the US, everywhere but the UK.  Exemptions will be made for US citizens with screening procedures.  So US citizens can travel to Europe, but coming back might be an issue with quarantine.   Europeans not from the UK will not be able to go to the US. 

Can you give us an idea of the numbers? I would suspect it's in the tens of thousands or more.

1 hour ago, H.M.V said:

Wow, I need to get out of here as fast as I possibly can, this place sounds like a complete disaster! The only thing I find "fucking terrifying" are the people who are out there trying to cause fear and panic, as you are doing. The sad thing is that your opinion has been shaped by people who are mainly interested in getting President Trump out of office.

45 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Yep. Trump is currently more interesting in being seen to be Presidential than in being honest with his people. He must have been told how bad it is privately. He escaped impeachment but his handling of this will be his legacy.

Every president will "escape" impeachment moving forward, based on the new set of rules that determine impeachable offenses.

I have seen a good number of people hoping that the coronavirus causes massive issues to our well-being, way of life, and economy, just as long as it damages President Trump's legacy, and leads to him to be impeached again, forced to step down, or eventually lose the election... Anyone who hopes this pandemic can hurt a political rivals legacy, is demented.

• Downvote 3

20 minutes ago, jevans.900 said:

Wow, I need to get out of here as fast as I possibly can, this place sounds like a complete disaster! The only thing I find "fucking terrifying" are the people who are out there trying to cause fear and panic, as you are doing. The sad thing is that your opinion has been shaped by people who are mainly interested in getting President Trump out of office.

Every president will "escape" impeachment moving forward, based on the new set of rules that determine impeachable offenses.

I have seen a good number of people hoping that the coronavirus causes massive issues to our well-being, way of life, and economy, just as long as it damages President Trump's legacy, and leads to him to be impeached again, forced to step down, or eventually lose the election... Anyone who hopes this pandemic can hurt a political rivals legacy, is demented.

Trumps "legacy" is dog shit anyway. This virus is definitely going to cause massive issues to our well being, way of life and economy. By the end of next week the US will have tens of thousands of cases and we will likely be experiencing some sort of lockdown here in Ireland similar to Denmark and Italy, along with probably most of the rest of europe. If you aren't worried you haven't been paying attention. Having a moron like Trump running the show will only make it worse unfortunately.

3 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

I don't give a fuck about who's in office. I do give a fuck about the ineptitude of the office. It's not a game. It's not partisan. It's ridiculous. 

Our state and local governments have been shutting down mass gatherings, and our federal government has implemented travel restrictions. My local clinic has been calling, texting, and e-mailing patients with ways to react should any symptoms appear, and are advising anyone who feels sick to stay home, and if they are "at risk" patients, they will do testing at their house.... Who knows how bad this will this will turn out over here, but freaking out, dropping f bombs, and calling people inept because you hate their political views, isn't going to help much.

Even the governor of California (who vehemently hates Trump) is putting his political differences aside, as is Trump, in order to hopefully limit the number of illnesses Newsom - Trump - Coronavirus.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

No offense but the situation is anything but terrifying here. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

Trumps "legacy" is dog shit anyway. This virus is definitely going to cause massive issues to our well being, way of life and economy. By the end of next week the US will have tens of thousands of cases and we will likely be experiencing some sort of lockdown here in Ireland similar to Denmark and Italy, along with probably most of the rest of europe. If you aren't worried you haven't been paying attention. Having a moron like Trump running the show will only make it worse unfortunately.

As a lab tech, I'm most certainly worried about this, and have been paying attention. I suppose I'm just a stupid moron Trump supporter, with all the negative stereotypes that come along with that.

I just hope I'll be catching my flight on June 20th, as that will mean the festival is on, and this thing has stabilized.

42 minutes ago, jevans.900 said:

Anyone who hopes this pandemic can hurt a political rivals legacy, is demented.

I didn’t say I hope it hurts him. The man is such a pathological narcissist, he’ll never feel ‘hurt’ because he’ll twist logic and reality to come out on top. 

I did say that this will be his legacy. Maybe he’ll defy all expectation and handle it well. So far, that’s not the case. But it hasn’t gone to shit for him properly yet. His time is coming. 

6 minutes ago, jevans.900 said:

I just hope I'll be catching my flight on June 20th, as that will mean the festival is on, and this thing has stabilized.

That's what we all want and we're looking at leaders to implement the necessary changes to keep us protected. Simple as that. 

9 minutes ago, jevans.900 said:

As a lab tech, I'm most certainly worried about this, and have been paying attention. I suppose I'm just a stupid moron Trump supporter, with all the negative stereotypes that come along with that.

You have a head start then. If I was you id go and get a few weeks of supplies in, food etc.

Honestly atm I'm still hopeful the fest will be on, things are ramping up but that is in line with whats expected.

Edited by Madyaker

1 hour ago, Madyaker said:

Can you give us an idea of the numbers? I would suspect it's in the tens of thousands or more.

I shared some already in earlier pages, but we have been shown models by US government intelligence that were eye popping.  Conservative estimates are around 50 million infected in the US over the next 16 months, with around 100,000 dead. This will likely be the scenario.  The drastic model showed 100 million infected with nearly 500,000 dead (I think the actual number was around 460,000, but can't remember).  

And I know most of you don't like to hear it, but it is the correct call not allowing people from Europe to travel to the US at this time. Nobody is prepared to handle this outbreak, It's not just the US.  The models the US government have show the danger and they are not taking it lightly, despite what the media might be saying.  Ive personally seen their data and had conversations with government officials.   Anything that can limit the transmission of the disease should be enacted at this time to try and contain what we can. 

Edited by Friendly Banter

Is anyone else scared at this point? 

Maybe I’ve been following this too closely, but I’ve yet to read a single model of the near future in which things don’t get very dark very quickly.

Normal life is about to disappear. It’ll only be temporary, but we will each have a critical responsibility to play ball. I fear that in an age where conspiracy theories and ‘alternative facts’ feel so vindicated, fuckwits will stop this from being a short term issue. 

Over here, we’ll be getting survival friendly in the coming day or two, stocking up on 2-3 weeks of long life goods to whether the storm. That’s no longer silly, it’s a rational precaution. We won’t be buying endless toilet paper but we will make sure that when our own lockdown happens, which we’re expecting literally any day now and probably without warning, we’re prepared. 

Cripes. Hope you’re all doing OK. 

I'm the opposite. The more people start to panic the more certain I am its unnecessary. 

20+ pages of posts in less than a day is wild. 

I'm not saying this isnt going to be bad, but the risk for people under 65 is almost non existant. Everyone globally is on this, and vaccines and antiviral trials are already in the works. 

Yes this is worse than the flu, but it's not a freaking zombie virus. 

Whatever action the governments take now is just to control the spread, not stop it. 

Even if a lockdown happens, you will be allowed to leave the house for food, obviously. 

Man we really need a poster in these parts. 

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, kalifire said:

Is anyone else scared at this point? 

Maybe I’ve been following this too closely, but I’ve yet to read a single model of the near future in which things don’t get very dark very quickly.

Normal life is about to disappear. It’ll only be temporary, but we will each have a critical responsibility to play ball. I fear that in an age where conspiracy theories and ‘alternative facts’ feel so vindicated, fuckwits will stop this from being a short term issue. 

Over here, we’ll be getting survival friendly in the coming day or two, stocking up on 2-3 weeks of long life goods to whether the storm. That’s no longer silly, it’s a rational precaution. We won’t be buying endless toilet paper but we will make sure that when our own lockdown happens, which we’re expecting literally any day now and probably without warning, we’re prepared. 

Cripes. Hope you’re all doing OK. 

I'm having wild swings between being really frightened and then thinking its overblown. I guess the only thing that proves is that I know bugger-all? 

The while you were sleeping update for our UK friends

(stolen from the Guardian, and will hopefully (but probably not) stop the "have you heard this happened posts every 2 hours)

• US President Donald Trump introduced a total travel ban from Europe (schnegen area), excluding the UK, for 30 days. The ban does not extend to trade.
  • Actors Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson have announced that they have both tested positive for Covid-19 while filming in Australia.
  • The St. Patrick’s Day parade in New York City has been canceled this year for the first time since 1762, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo said on Wednesday night.
  • The total number of coronavirus cases worldwide now stands at 126,135, according to figures from Johns Hopkins University.
  • The NBA has suspended play indefinitely after after a player on the Utah Jazz preliminarily tested positive for Covid-19.
  • Two more Formula One team members have been tested for the coronavirus at the Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne. The event has not been cancelled.
  • Juventus defender Daniele Rugani has tested positive for coronavirus, the Serie A club said on Wednesday.

1 minute ago, Gregfc15 said:

The while you were sleeping update for our UK friends

(stolen from the Guardian, and will hopefully (but probably not) stop the "have you heard this happened posts every 2 hours)

• US President Donald Trump introduced a total travel ban from Europe (schnegen area), excluding the UK, for 30 days. The ban does not extend to trade.
  • Actors Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson have announced that they have both tested positive for Covid-19 while filming in Australia.
  • The St. Patrick’s Day parade in New York City has been canceled this year for the first time since 1762, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo said on Wednesday night.
  • The total number of coronavirus cases worldwide now stands at 126,135, according to figures from Johns Hopkins University.
  • The NBA has suspended play indefinitely after after a player on the Utah Jazz preliminarily tested positive for Covid-19.
  • Two more Formula One team members have been tested for the coronavirus at the Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne. The event has not been cancelled.
  • Juventus defender Daniele Rugani has tested positive for coronavirus, the Serie A club said on Wednesday.

Definitely a night to forget!