Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

stuartbert two hats

What's your best guess?   

1,012 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

Football matches are supposedly going to be played behind closed doors until the end of the season as a result of the UK moving into the ‘delay’ phase, I’m not sure what this means for Glastonbury, but if social distancing is being put into place as of tomorrow (as what I’ve read suggests that’s when the BHD policy is being put into place) then that might be a good sign? Ramp up social distancing and get it over with in time for the festival?

Can’t expect social distancing to start tomorrow, and still be happening in 3 and a half months time?

4 minutes ago, Jack.194 said:

Football matches are supposedly going to be played behind closed doors until the end of the season as a result of the UK moving into the ‘delay’ phase, I’m not sure what this means for Glastonbury, but if social distancing is being put into place as of tomorrow (as what I’ve read suggests that’s when the BHD policy is being put into place) then that might be a good sign? Ramp up social distancing and get it over with in time for the festival?

Can’t expect social distancing to start tomorrow, and still be happening in 3 and a half months time?

I’d imagine it’ll be initially that crowds over a certain amount aren’t allowed until end of April (for example)

4 minutes ago, Jack.194 said:

Football matches are supposedly going to be played behind closed doors until the end of the season as a result of the UK moving into the ‘delay’ phase, 

I suspect Until players start getting diagnosed with it, then likely they'll suspend all games like what happened with the nba

Said this on the other thread, but worth repeating. Transmission rates, mortality rates, seriousness of infection on different demographics are TBH almost irrelevant. Can discuss and extrapolate as much as we want but by the time the NHS is breaking under the number of persons suffering from not only CV19 but 'everyday' conditions, the key to any large gatherings will be whether they can get the required safety certification in terms of medical care, security, crowd safety etc and the maintenance of those standards throughout the period of that gathering.

Even if they can get boots on the ground, the required certification agencies could not possibly keep up with demand.

Withe NHS resources likely to be solely directly to doing the best they can in the CV19 environment, police and FRS resources stretched to breaking point with normal duties, security companies struggling to find sufficient qualified and certified staff, volunteer organisations struggling with illness and absence meaning a shortage of fire marshals, stewarding capacity severely reduced these gatherings will struggle to reach the required standards.

Plus, would you really want 200,000 people descending on a small piece of rural Somerset potentially putting the limited medical facilities in the area under further unnecessary strain?

Jut seems barking mad to me.

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, squirrelarmy said:

Notts Forest owner confirmed to have corona but the players have been cleared. 

I've seen this with the Arsenal and Olympiakos lot - all three cases are within what should be a potential 2 week incubation period, yet the narrative seems to be that testing negative now means they're fine- can any medical professional confirm that would be the case? 

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Imagine if the poster dropped and it just said 

CANCELLED

😪

Booooooooo !!!

Just from another point, all medics need to be available so from a safety point of view how would it affect GF getting enough health care professionals to be at an unnecessary gathering in the grand scheme of things ?

I , as much as anybody want it to go ahead but for the long term safety of everyone this could be a problem moving forward...just as an after thought other workers needed to build and plan may also be a bit thin on the ground 

Just now, babyblade41 said:

Booooooooo !!!

Just from another point, all medics need to be available so from a safety point of view how would it affect GF getting enough health care professionals to be at an unnecessary gathering in the grand scheme of things ?

I , as much as anybody want it to go ahead but for the long term safety of everyone this could be a problem moving forward...just as an after thought other workers needed to build and plan may also be a bit thin on the ground 

200,000 at Glastonbury mean they’re not in the hospital or doctors.....

All good

34 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I've seen this with the Arsenal and Olympiakos lot - all three cases are within what should be a potential 2 week incubation period, yet the narrative seems to be that testing negative now means they're fine- can any medical professional confirm that would be the case? 

Not a medical professional but from what I have read the 2 week incubation period is the time when symptoms can show ,

EDIT For a better explanation see Toilet Ducks post next page

Edited by DeadAmos
Wrong info

1 hour ago, BeddyDriver said:

I’ve just heard a rumour from an inside source at a label that we are looking at a postponement til later in the year. No more detail as to when or how yet though :(

So, I had a friend who anticipated the Coachella postponement and knew that Golden Voice holds permits in events October and booked a hotel for that weekend in October just 2 days before the official announcement.... Do we know if Glastonbury holds a similar secondary permit for any other time of year? Because of weather I'd imagine if they postponed they'd have to do it in like September at the latest, right?

We're coming from Australia and are seriously looking at the possibility of having to cancel our entire European trip (Rome > Paris > Amsterdam > London > Glastonbury) bc of corona :( 

20 minutes ago, Jack.194 said:

Both Mrs Lycra & I are medical professionals. We both hearing this will take months not weeks to play out. One Prof told me yesterday he personally can see restrictions being in place through the summer. He admitted though it all came down to how quickly the numbers came down.

29 minutes ago, Jack.194 said:

China has been on STRICT lockdowns since basically January. They're doing some crazy stuff which is way beyond what any western country would do, and it's still spreading.

Edited by Monie802

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I believe The Doors originally missed the definite article from their name, leading to exceedingly small numbers for their support slots.

One of my favourite lines from the mighty Pratchett's "Soul Music":

"Yeah, I liked it best when we were The Whom" said Noddy

"But we were only The Whom for half an hour!" said Crash*

*A very grammatical half an hour, however.

I feel that @bennyhana22would approve of that one.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, DeadAmos said:

That is interesting - hopefully they create a cheap and quick test that can be mass produced, it'll be a game changer as people can know to self isolate. Though testing people beyond travel history and having direct contact with a known case could help...

28 minutes ago, Monie802 said:

So, I had a friend who anticipated the Coachella postponement and knew that Golden Voice holds permits in events October and booked a hotel for that weekend in October just 2 days before the official announcement.... Do we know if Glastonbury holds a similar secondary permit for any other time of year? Because of weather I'd imagine if they postponed they'd have to do it in like September at the latest, right?

We're coming from Australia and are seriously looking at the possibility of having to cancel our entire European trip (Rome > Paris > Amsterdam > London > Glastonbury) bc of corona :( 

Having been to a September festival it was cold and miserable. Though being further south gives better odds of weather being good, this was south Wales! 

Edited by efcfanwirral

6 minutes ago, Monie802 said:

I don’t know but I wouldn’t have thought so. It seems much more likely that glasto would move to 2021 and use this as a fallow year. they obviously have the Pilton party licence but it’s a bit different to a humongous 200000 people fest!

Sorry about the worry over your trip. For what it’s worth it sounds amazing! Hope you can reschedule if the worst happens 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

That is interesting - hopefully they create a cheap and quick test that can be mass produced, it'll be a game changer as people can know to self isolate. Though testing people beyond travel history and having direct contact with a known case could help...

From what I heard, South Korea (I believe) was doing door-to-door testing for this exact reason. They've done something insane like over 110,000 tests at this point.