Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

stuartbert two hats

What's your best guess?   

1,012 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

6 minutes ago, TownesMR said:

Coachella is offering the choice of refund or ticket for October. I see this as being the best thing Glastonbury can do in case of cancellation.

But Coachella has been postponed not cancelled, I can't see Glastonbury being postponed till later in the year,  So I would say everyone gets a refund and has to try again for tickets in October

Edited by DeadAmos

1 minute ago, DeadAmos said:

But Coachella has been postponed not cancelled, I can't see Glastonbury being postponed till later in the year, 2021   So I would say everyone gets a refund and has to try again for tickets in October

That makes sense, but SXSW hasn't? I'm not sure yet, we'll know if Glasto has to say something about it if the time comes. I'm hoping my ticket transfers over because I've been planning for years to go. 

9 minutes ago, Tuna said:

Do we know for sure that the April payments are earmarked to pay for the upcoming festival, and not paying off the previous? If it's not almost entirely the former then refunds become trickier.

Pretty much.  We know they have a slush fund in place in case of disasters like 2008, so it doesn't sound like they're paying for the festival out of debt. 

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Pretty much.  We know they have a slush fund in place in case of disasters like 2008, so it doesn't sound like they're paying for the festival out of debt. 

Ta!

14 minutes ago, Tuna said:

Do we know for sure that the April payments are earmarked to pay for the upcoming festival, and not paying off the previous? If it's not almost entirely the former then refunds become trickier.

Don’t think that’s the case. Do they not make all the payments and then work out how much they can allocate to the sponsoring charities? 

1 minute ago, TownesMR said:

Tons of stuff still being announced for June. Until we hear otherwise, Glastonbury is on. Things may not look great, but anything is possible. Always hoping for the best!

I was thinking that. So many festival announcements being made for June and July.

7 minutes ago, northernringo said:

I think there is still a fairly good chance it won't be cancelled.

Half the people on this thread seem to think it is a foregone conclusion for some reason.

At the moment thats the most logical prediction if you listen to people who know what they're talking about. Events at the end of this month and all of April will all be cancelled though I think, potentially into some of May too.

23 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

That reminds me of the chicken pox parties that folk used to have back in the day.  If some kid had it then others deliberately went to their house so they could catch it. Fucking crazy, loads of kids walking around scratching like demented chimps and covered head to foot in pink calamine lotion. 

There was actual logic to doing that. Much better to catch the virus as a child as their immune system can handle it better than an adult. Chicken Pox in adults can make them very ill. 

You have to wonder if Corona is here to stay then similar methods may be used. Especially when you look at how different ages deal with this virus. 

4 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

There was actual logic to doing that. Much better to catch the virus as a child as their immune system can handle it better than an adult. Chicken Pox in adults can make them very ill. 

You have to wonder if Corona is here to stay then similar methods may be used. Especially when you look at how different ages deal with this virus. 

We could have a Coronavirus festival so that we all can catch it.

7 minutes ago, Glastobourne said:

A friend of mine who is involved in the planning of a certain aspect of the festival said today... 

As it stands it’s 100% going ahead. The only way it won’t is if the Government get involved. 

I guess there is still every chance of that happening though.

Benefit of the doubt, but you're brand new to this thread it seems. Can you elaborate any more?

9 minutes ago, Glastobourne said:

A friend of mine who is involved in the planning of a certain aspect of the festival said today... 

As it stands it’s 100% going ahead. The only way it won’t is if the Government get involved. 

You're new here aren't you....

7 minutes ago, Glastobourne said:

That’s good news - although your friend should probably do some extra sessions around percentages and probability. 

9 minutes ago, Glastobourne said:

Emily? Is that you?

11 minutes ago, Glastobourne said:

I love a good post of hope that is entirely unverifiable but I will 100% take as true regardless

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Too bloody right it does, I caught it as an adult and it was murder. One of the drawbacks of working in education.