Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

stuartbert two hats

What's your best guess?   

1,012 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

2 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

yeah we seem to think we know better over here, when it's clear elsewhere that this is the answer

I've seen it said that if we go too soon with isolation measures that people will ignore them and ultimately make things worse than they'd otherwise be.

I've no idea if it would really happen like that, but there is a certain logic to it.

Just now, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

@eFestivals do you know when the site build officially begins? Do you think they'd hold off commencement for as long as possible? Construction always seems like a well-oiled machine with every day being important (some areas literally finish just before opening) so I'd imagine they must have a definitive must-start-by date?

I think it starts around the beginning of May. It takes a while to do the fence.

They might be able to delay things a little, but I also guess it's already a finely tuned operation.

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I've seen it said that if we go too soon with isolation measures that people will ignore them and ultimately make things worse than they'd otherwise be.

I've no idea if it would really happen like that, but there is a certain logic to it.

Theres also a need to prep schools. Colleges. Shops. Public spaces that there might be a shut down instead of just going head first for it. 

5 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

You can recind the vote.

Done! (I couldn't do it on my phone at 4.30am this morning (when I randomly woke up for no reason...!) not sure why. Anyway, all sorted now. Thanks :)

Just now, eFestivals said:

I think it starts around the beginning of May. It takes a while to do the fence.

They might be able to delay things a little, but I also guess it's already a finely tuned operation.

So there's a lot more wiggle room yet. The next four weeks are probably crucial, I can't see any knee-jerk reactions being made just yet, at least not this month.

1 hour ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

She’s probably not wrong though is she? I mean how does this pan out until there is a vaccine?

If it’s not seasonal then it’s it going away until there is a vaccine, the only way to guarantee you don’t get it is lock yourself away until the vaccine is ready. In reality that’s not feasible for the vast majority of the population. The government can lock us away indefinitely but the world would literally collapse, it would be like a zombie film.

I believe herd immunity will help long term, for most of the population.  Once you've had it, it can't take hold again, whcih means you won't be infectious.  So in Germany, for example, once 70% or whatever have got ti in the first wave, only 30% can get it next time and so on, in decreasing numbers, each wave.  It's why most circulating viruses aren't a real problem (except 'flu and that's because it's highly mutagenic, so we get a different version each year, that many immune systems don't recognise from previous years).

None of which is comfort to those who are at risk, of course.  They will need to be careful each time there's an outbreak, unfortunately, until there's a vaccine (which may be as early as the end of this year.

None of which is directly relevant on whether Glastonbury goes ahead, which in turn will depend on a) whether this proves to be seasonal and b) if it peaks early enough.  I'm hopeful for Glastonbury (not on cotaining it, though).

7 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

in our country that makes a lot of sense - people are pretty selfish and don't take well to being told what to do/minor inconveniences. I'm guessing the South Korea success is because they had SARS and maybe have a bit more of a "big picture", community spirited view on things. 

pretty sad indictment on our country really but it is what it is 

6 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

- people are pretty selfish and don't take well to being told what to do/minor inconveniences

For example telling people not to go panic buying products has the opposite effect.

Maybe we need to tell everyone to stay outdoors and interact as much as possible with each other. 

I think there's 2 options, the China option where nobody leaves their homes at all for 2 months and the army delivers food. Or the virus spreads essentially unimpeded through the population until we either have a vaccine or we develop natural immunity. Seems to me we going with option 2 so I don't see why all of europe won't end up like Italy at some point? It's not a cause for alarm, it'll only last for a few weeks or maybe a month or 2 and then things should calm down again in may / june. At the moment id still be hopeful it'll go ahead. At that point what difference will restricting large outdoor gatherings make?

Edited by Madyaker

Just to stir the pot a bit regarding tickets. Every festival that has been cancelled so far (Ultra, SXSW, Coachella) have made the tickets for this year valid for their next event. Why do so many people think Glastonbury doing the same would be unprecedented?

5 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

For example telling people not to go panic buying products has the opposite effect.

Maybe we need to tell everyone to stay outdoors and interact as much as possible with each other. 

That reminds me of the chicken pox parties that folk used to have back in the day.  If some kid had it then others deliberately went to their house so they could catch it. Fucking crazy, loads of kids walking around scratching like demented chimps and covered head to foot in pink calamine lotion. 

1 minute ago, TownesMR said:

Just to stir the pot a bit regarding tickets. Every festival that has been cancelled so far (Ultra, SXSW, Coachella) have made the tickets for this year valid for their next event. Why do so many people think Glastonbury doing the same would be unprecedented?

Because they will have spent the money already and will desperately need to avoid giving refunds out at all costs. Normal festivals have to pay top dollar for acts and imagine more of it up front as well. Glastonbury probably won’t be in that same position.

2 minutes ago, TownesMR said:

I think if it’s cancelled then tickets would be valid for next year, would be a bit of a kick in the teeth to not go down that route as long as it’s permitted.

I believe people’s thinking is that honouring tickets for a rescheduled event is different to honouring tickets to a different version of the same event.

Do we know for sure that the April payments are earmarked to pay for the upcoming festival, and not paying off the previous? If it's not almost entirely the former then refunds become trickier.

3 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Because they will have spent the money already and will desperately need to avoid giving refunds out at all costs. Normal festivals have to pay top dollar for acts and imagine more of it up front as well. Glastonbury probably won’t be in that same position.

Coachella is offering the choice of refund or ticket for October. I see this as being the best thing Glastonbury can do in case of cancellation.

6 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

That reminds me of the chicken pox parties that folk used to have back in the day.  If some kid had it then others deliberately went to their house so they could catch it. Fucking crazy, loads of kids walking around scratching like demented chimps and covered head to foot in pink calamine lotion. 

I went to one of these as a kid!

Stockpiling in evidence for the first time in my Tesco. No pasta, no soap, no loo roll. People are idiots.

On the government response and testing overall, it does seem a bit inconsistent to me. A woman I work with was told the parents of a child at her kids' school tested positive. The school was not shut down, her kids are still at the school and she is still going to work. So presumably they only tested the parents' kids and not anyone the kids came in contact with? Just assumed it was probably fine?

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

And what if acts don’t want to commit to gigs because it’s still up in the air how prevalent the virus would be in June?

I’d understand the logic if it was a few artists across the bill. But potentially losing all headliners + the legend slot is some pretty large casualties. They could lose every artist they’ve announced so far.

What if the sun explodes and destroys the earth?

Most experts seem to think that the worst of this will be over before the end of june, we'll still be dealing with it, but the worst will hopefully be over.

A while ago (6 years!!) I had a chat with a venue owner, big enough venue that he bid for huge acts. He said the process was: A band (or their management or whatever) decide to go on tour; venues bid for the bands - and the winner gets it and pays, the money goes in escrow; the ticket company sells tickets and keeps the money; the band plays; the band gets paid from escrow; the venue gets paid by the ticket company. He said key to success was cash flow and getting the bid right. Also separate out ticket money from venue sales money (that paid for all the staff etc).

No idea how a festival works!