2020 headliners

4 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Honourable mention for getting two out of three (on the correct nights if it's in order!) in literally the second post of the thread, and then it took 7 months for anybody to get all three.

Your Blue Peter badges are in the post

We'll see when it's confirmed, still just 1 right so far.

• Replies 16.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Taylor Swift is out.   https://amp.theatlantic.com/amp/article/588118/

Looks like we might have finally got Gaga for Fri judging by her latest heavily Glasto related Instagram post... I mean, they're striking pyramid poses... Even the flight attendan

Still to look forward to: • Self confirmations ramping up • Predicting the next announcement  • 1st poster day • Who's playing which stage and when • Who hasn't made the 1st p

Posted Images

3 hours ago, circus92 said:

Okay fair enough, and its easy to see that you are not on your own with this opinion.  For any of you that are "bemused by the admiration for her on here" I would like to ask if any of you have ever seen her live?  Or even listened to her back catalogue at any length beyond her singles (some of which were questionable choices)?

You unfavourably compare her to Gaga or Pink - I have seen all 3 live within the last 16 months, so feel i am in a fairly reasonable position to judge them.  I saw Taylor on the Reputation Tour in Croke Park and it was easily one of the best concerts I have ever attended.  I then saw Gaga in Vegas earlier this year and she was also fantastic, and finally I saw Pink in Wembley this summer.  She also put on a superb show.

In my opinion they are all very talented, all put on excellent shows, all have loads of stone cold bangers, and I would love to see any of them at the Farm as the "pop" act - they would all smash it.  However, I firmly believe Taylor is without question way out ahead of the other 2 on practically every measure. 

You mention Taylor having "a few decent tunes"  It isn't even close!  Not being a big fan I was actually amazed with how many bangers Pink had, and she filled her set very well, but beyond the 23 tunes she played, it starts to thin out very rapidly.  Gaga was pretty much the same - amazing gig and so many hits, but you could pretty much predict the setlist for both these artists.  This is no criticism of either by the way.  Taylor on the other hand - there would be a core list of tacks that would be nailed on for her set, but her problem would literally be what to leave out.  She could easily play 2 nights with different songs each night and still smash it.

On the question of talent again she is streets ahead - there will be sections of her set where she will be playing the piano, while singing songs she wrote herself.  She will then be playing her guitar while singing on other songs.  Any one who has watched any of her acoustic sets will know what I mean - you wont see many of the others doing what she does anywhere near as well.

I even laughed when someone the other day lumped her in with Katy Perry and suggested that Taylor should have a similar slot. Katy Perry is not even in the same league - she doesn't play instruments, doesn't write her own stuff, is far more "manufactured" and again her back catalogue is not even remotely comparable.

I also get your point about her sometimes "not coming across very nice". I completely agree on that point and she really doesn't do herself any favours sometimes.  That being said, I am not overly bothered by that when judging an artist - to me it is the music and talent that matters and whether you like her or not, she has both in spades.

I am sounding a bit like a "fanatic" here ? - trust me I am not, but just trying to encourage some of you who may be sceptical to gave her a chance - I was sceptical 3/4 years ago and am now a huge fan. 

At the end of the day everyone has different tastes when it comes to music and the debates on here are whats makes this place so much fun.  However, whether you can appreciate her music or not, as a contemporary pop act, she is way out on her own at the moment and is undoubtedly one of the biggest acts that could be booked for Glasto 50.

I for one can't wait ?  ?

?

Bang on.

By the way... incredibly jealous you've seen two of my favourite artists ever (Gaga and Pink) in the last 16 months.

Before yesterday my thoughts on Swizzle were that I would understand why she'd play GF, and I'd probably go along to watch as I love a fair few of her tracks, have seen a load of her live stuff online and she's extremely talented musically, and an absolutely beautiful human being.

Then I listened to Lover start to finish.

Get her on that Pyramid. My word. What a record.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Watching the Queen + Adam Lambert thing on Sky Arts, it's a damn shame to be honest, Queen on the Pyramid would be one for the ages.

I watched that too. I'm a massive Queen fan and really pleased how it comes across with Lambert. Fair play to him and the band.

However, I cannot in a million years see it as a Pyramid headline act - and with that, I don't know where else they'd be placed.

3 minutes ago, Stokesy10 said:

I watched that too. I'm a massive Queen fan and really pleased how it comes across with Lambert. Fair play to him and the band.

However, I cannot in a million years see it as a Pyramid headline act - and with that, I don't know where else they'd be placed.

I generally think people would be a bit meh about it when announced but come the night, it would be something very special. 

Just now, Gnomicide said:

I generally think people would be a bit meh about it when announced but come the night, it would be something very special. 

That's a fair point. At the risk of contradicting myself, if they WERE announced I don't think I could avoid them.

42 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Honourable mention for getting two out of three (on the correct nights if it's in order!) in literally the second post of the thread, and then it took 7 months for anybody to get all three.

The fun thing is, I can see 1975 being a Other headliner. 

5 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

5 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

We'll see when it's confirmed, still just 1 right so far.

Didn't the same happen for 2019s headliners in that thread? (Or next announcement thread). Someone got it straight away? Thousands of pages, but it was done in 5 mins!?!

Edited by FuzzyDunlop
5 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

First to mention all three headliners in the same post, but not quite the winner because of bet hedging on which old coot it's going to be.

Oh balls. Will this have to be my last festival then?!

I can't believe they aren't going to book any white guys with guitars this year. I know the only headliner actually announced is a white guy but he plays bass and he isn't even in a band any more. It's all gone all #lookatme as people who like guitar music are serious music fans and people who like a wider range of music are just there to be seen.

• Upvote 1
26 minutes ago, mcshed said:

I can't believe they aren't going to book any white guys with guitars this year. I know the only headliner actually announced is a white guy but he plays bass and he isn't even in a band any more. It's all gone all #lookatme as people who like guitar music are serious music fans and people who like a wider range of music are just there to be seen.

Imagine this forum in 18 months time when 1975 & Green Day are 2 of the 3 headliners.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

So safe to say the first BST announcement is Taylor Swift? They pretty much posted her album cover in video form as their announcement clip. Or its just set up for a future announcement and its somebody else as the first show?

Edited by Suprefan
30 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Imagine this forum in 18 months time when 1975 & Green Day are 2 of the 3 headliners.

If The 1975 are announced first I can't wait for the proper music nostalgia brigade to explain why they aren't a "real" band due to the popularity of their insta.

23 minutes ago, mcshed said:

If The 1975 are announced first I can't wait for the proper music nostalgia brigade to explain why they aren't a "real" band due to the popularity of their insta.

They're not a proper band - the singer's too full of himself. They should bring back the more modest self-effacing bands like Oasis.

15 hours ago, thewayiam said:

It would be majorly disappointing in my eyes and definitely the turning point where I say that is my point....it screams exactly what I've been thinking for a while with the fest that's its edging way more an Instagram to be seen their festival/hugely more commercial now. Take Macca out and ignore the Friday this year where I had almost no headline option to see, I'd take The Cure and The Killers all day....they aren't both just getting booked for your next pop festival.

Wish people would stop getting their knickers in a twist and blaming Instagram and pop music because people who enjoy different things to them have fun at the festival. "Taylor plays to kids" is meaningless and "Rap is a divisive genre" is some strange, dark bullshit. I wasn't fussed on The Killers or The Cure last year but I didn't piss my pants and decide that Glastonbury has turned into something terrible. I simply remembered that there's other people that will have the time of their lives at those gigs and there will probably be something else for me to enjoy at the same time. Lo and fucking behold, there was. The obsession with blaming Instagram really grinds my gears... What do you want to do? Ban everybody who takes an Instagram on the hill infront of the sign? Come off it. They have nothing to do with you preferring two guitar bands to two different acts from two different genres.

Edited by jyoung
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 4

People with this view are still living in the early noughties where music was still under heavy gatekeeping and liking pop music meant you were a square. They equate pop music to bad and can’t shift themselves away from that view because that’s what has been drained into them.

Pop music is just as viable as a genre as any. So is hip hop. The days of bands only being seen as credible artists is so old I’m surprised people still hold that view.

Edited by Matt42
  • Upvote 2

This reminds me of when I was at an extended family party and it was late in the night and we were requesting some pop bangers for a good old singalong. A really old member of the family genuinely pulled me to one side and was like “do you actually like that shit... like... girls music?”.

He was quite surprised that I could like various genres of music and also enjoy pop music.

Peoples music tastes are more diverse now and I think Glastonbury’s lineup reflects that. Bit of something for a bit of everyone.

• Like 2

I don’t know why but I just think it’s too early to have the headliners all sorted ... just think there might be a twist in this to come ... for the resale people I’m hoping an early announcement will cause some to make decisions to put those tickets back in the pot and give them lots of time to make other plans ... fingers crossed :)