Other Stage

FuzzyDunlop

8 hours ago, strummer77 said:

She doesn't say that at all. The sentence was all about Keith, who obviously can't play:

"We are so saddened to hear about the passing of Keith Flint. He’s played here so many times with the Prodigy and was booked for 2019"

I think it's very very very unlikely they play but I strongly doubt any firm decision would have been made and certainly not communicated at this time. They will be mourning right now, not picking up the phone to have a chat to the Eavis family. They will probably make the decision (probably to cancel) in the coming days.

He's played here many times before and was booked for 2019...he wasn't booked without The Prodigy and I doubt that show is going to go ahead. A large majority of the dates at least will probably be cancelled...they aren't going to go and perform within 3 months of his passing I doubt.

I know this is not really relevant as the circumstances are different but the Charlatans played at Knebworth, supporting Oasis, within 3 weeks of Rob Collins dying. They drafted in Martin Duffy from Primal Scream. He had a weeks practice and played with the band.

You would say it is easier to relplace a keys player than a focal point like Keith. Yet Rob Collins playing was the key element in the Charlatans sound at the time.

Also Joy Division had became New Order and were playing live within 2 months of Ian Curtis dying.

3 months is plenty of time to get things sorted if the Prodigy wanted to continue.

Edited by eastynh

15 minutes ago, eastynh said:

I know this is not really relevant as the circumstances are different but the Charlatans played at Knebworth, supporting Oasis, within 3 weeks of Rob Collins dying. They drafted in Martin Duffy from Primal Scream. He had a weeks practice and played with the band.

You would say it is easier to relplace a keys player than a focal point like Keith. Yet Rob Collins playing was the key element in the Charlatans sound at the time.

Also Joy Division had became New Order and were playing live within 2 months of Ian Curtis dying.

3 months is plenty of time to get things sorted if the Prodigy wanted to continue.

Of course, just give the other two a shake of the shoulders, tell them they’ve had their allotted two months grieving period and need to get on with entertaining us.

Have a word with the Beastie Boys while you’re at it. They’ve been moping around for years.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

13 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Of course, just give the other two a shake of the shoulders, tell them they’ve had their allotted two months grieving period and need to get on with entertaining us.

Have a word with the Beastie Boys while you’re at it. They’ve been moping around for years.

Bit harsh mind Hugh, he's just giving legit examples. No need to be an arse about it. 

4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I am just highlighting that it can be done mate.

No one knows how things will go. Circumstances are different in this case and with the Beastie Boys, as both them and the Prodigy are financially well off enough to go and sit on a beach for the rest of their lives. JD/NO and the Charlatans had no choice but to continue.

As tragic as this is, Life must and will go on. Is 3 months too soon for the Prodigy to perform? None of us know. Will they want to continue? Again, none of us know. 

Would people go and see the Prodigy at Glastonbury without Keith? Lets be honest, his style, stage presence and persona is impossible to replace. Getting a replacement vocalist for a one off gig is probably not something most people would want to see. If they played Keiths recorded vocals and performed as a tribute to him then I think a lot of people would go along to that.

25 minutes ago, Badlands said:

Bit harsh mind Hugh, he's just giving legit examples. No need to be an arse about it. 

Not being an arse at all, just thinking it might be a little callous given he’s barely been dead for 24 hours to think the remaining two can just cobble a show together in three months.

4 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Respect the band and let them grieve rather than put pressure on imo.

No one is putting pressure on anyone. What I think or say on an internet forum is not going to have any impact at all on anything. Everything is hypothetical and conjecture. As sad and tragic as this is, life goes on. If my mum or sister hung themselves tomorrow then I would be expected back in work 12 days later.

People are different and no one knows how they will react until they are placed in a similar situation. I have seen first hand the devastating effect that suicide has on a family.

For all we know, Liam and Maxim could have been sat there yesterday saying fuck it, the show must go on. Or they might have been saying thats it, we can't do the Prodigy without Keith, lets go away for a year, sort our heads out, then sit down and see where we are at.

Nothing I have said has been callous or disrespectful. Just pure conjecture on an internet forum.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

47 minutes ago, Badlands said:

Agreed.  He wasn't saying that they should pull themselves together and do it - just pointing out that people deal with grief in different ways.  They might pause for a year, disband entirely or decide to honour most of the existing bookings because "That's what Keith would have wanted".  I've no idea.

Edited by stuartbert two hats
added "should"

15 hours ago, zico martin said:

Wow are the courteeners really subheadline size in 2019? Im shocked they're still going the but fair play to them. What else have they done other than 'Not nineteen forever'? 

Take over the world.... Sycophant.... Are you in love with a notion.... Cavorting... Summer.... What took you so long...  No you didnt, no you dont.... Small Bones.... 

They pull big crowds, especially from the North and Scotland. They are pure festival whores though, I think they have played every festival every year :D They do have some excellent festival songs. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

He's played here many times before and was booked for 2019...he wasn't booked without The Prodigy and I doubt that show is going to go ahead. A large majority of the dates at least will probably be cancelled...they aren't going to go and perform within 3 months of his passing I doubt.

I agree. But you said Emily’s comments suggested something, when they didn’t. It was just a tribute to Keith

1 minute ago, Havors said:

Take over the world.... Sycophant.... Are you in love with a notion.... Cavorting... Summer.... What took you so long...  No you didnt, no you dont.... Small Bones.... 

They pull big crowds, especially from the North and Scotland. They are pure festival whores though, I think they have played every festival every year :D They do have some excellent festival songs. 

You won't get any loving for them on here but I agree. Their setlists are great for festivals if you haven't already pre-decided that you hate them.

Keep the slot open to them. If they want to play they can. Give them as long as possible to decide. If they play, it will be an almighty tribute -If not,  let the sub play for an extra half hour. Finish the acts early, but have them playing Jilted + fat of the land through the speakers.