Other Stage

FuzzyDunlop

1 hour ago, Quark said:

I'd disagree. I think a crowd was to be expected, but I can't recall seeing a jam like that on that junction for the field before.

I didn't see it with my own eyes to be fair so perhaps it was even bigger than I'd anticipated.  I did purposely avoid using that route though because I expected a huge crowd for him.   I made the mistake of trying to cut through the Other Stage when Jessie J was on and I learned from experience!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, uscore said:

How come the Courteneers only have 45 minutes? This seems pretty short for a Sub act.   Is it simply an act of mercy on the crowd?

It's definitely so the Mancs can get round from Liam. Gives them 15 minutes to hot-foot it. No other reason for there to be a 45-minute gap between Sigrid and Courteeners - not like either will have much of a set up to take down/put up.

No point Liam and Courteeners overlapping whatsoever. It's essentially the same audience.

Courteeners probably opted for the 45 minutes set over playing the first 15 minutes to a few hundred people and then having to watch the rest of the field arrive four songs in.....

Edited by briddj

15 minutes ago, briddj said:

It's definitely so the Mancs can get round from Liam. Gives them 15 minutes to hot-foot it. No other reason for there to be a 45-minute gap between Sigrid and Courteeners - not like either will have much of a set up to take down/put up.

No point Liam and Courteeners overlapping whatsoever. It's essentially the same audience.

Courteeners probably opted for the 45 minutes set over playing the first 15 minutes to a few hundred people and then having to watch the rest of the field arrive four songs in.....

They crossed over with Arctic Monkeys in 2013 meaning loads of people left half way through (and presumably quite a few didnt go at all), then the exact same with Libertines in 2015, though that wasn't the original intention of course. 

Pretty bad luck with audience crossover bookings! Definitely good for them with this one, though any mud and this careful planning wont work.

I really like them and would love to do that but it'd mean missing some of the killers and watching from the back amongst the talkers. The only way I'll enjoy the killers is with a decent crowd around me 

Seems odd to me. I think it'd be better to play to an empty field that fills up rather than shorten your set.  It's different than having half your crowd leave before the end which would be a bit depressing.

I don't like accommodating crossover like this. It'd be one thing delaying the start of one set if you still played the full hour, but to reduce your allocation seems defeatist in some way.  I think it's a scheduling error really, they should have organised it better.

Even so, play 15 minutes to a smaller crowd, at least your diehards would get something out of it.

7 minutes ago, uscore said:

Seems odd to me. I think it'd be better to play to an empty field that fills up rather than shorten your set.  It's different than having half your crowd leave before the end which would be a bit depressing.

I don't like accommodating crossover like this. It'd be one thing delaying the start of one set if you still played the full hour, but to reduce your allocation seems defeatist in some way.  I think it's a scheduling error really, they should have organised it better.

Even so, play 15 minutes to a smaller crowd, at least your diehards would get something out of it.

Yeah but if there are pictures of a band with only a few fans there, it can be quite damaging to the egos involved. Some acts cancel shows because sections have been closed off, although I read that about Nicki Minaj and I dunno if the Courteeners have a similar opinion of themselves.

I don’t think it’s a scheduling error. Imo they should just not book them every two years if they won’t go up against certain acts - they can come back when they’re a first-choice act.

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

Yeah but if there are pictures of a band with only a few fans there, it can be quite damaging to the egos involved. Some acts cancel shows because sections have been closed off, although I read that about Nicki Minaj and I dunno if the Courteeners have a similar opinion of themselves.

I don’t think it’s a scheduling error. Imo they should just not book them every two years if they won’t go up against certain acts - they can come back when they’re a first-choice act.

But it's part and parcel of being at a festival.  You always run the risk of being put up against someone like the Rolling Stones.  Just get on with it.  

I don't see much difference ego wise in playing to a small crowd that gets much bigger, to admitting defeat before you've even taken to the stage. In fact it might be quite nice to watch the numbers grow and grow.

Courteeners are a strange booking this year anyway, I think they're playing a few new songs live but they haven't released anything new since their last appearance. They've essentially moved up one slot since the last festival despite having no new music and without getting much bigger in that time, although I suppose people aren't going to see them to hear the new stuff.

39 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

Courteeners are a strange booking this year anyway, I think they're playing a few new songs live but they haven't released anything new since their last appearance. They've essentially moved up one slot since the last festival despite having no new music and without getting much bigger in that time, although I suppose people aren't going to see them to hear the new stuff.

I would make a comment here but somebody might cry again.

• 2 weeks later...