2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

16 minutes ago, Glastocat said:

Agreed mate. You would think Kasabian were one hit wonders off the Britpop era reading a few of the posts on here.?

I understand that people want a more diverse set of headliners and for EE to not play it safe but Stormzy played the 2017 festival subbing the other stage. Would people think Emili Sande is a good headliner or Lorde? That's without releasing any new material in the time since. Yes I know Stormzy has a second album to come before the festival but know one knows what the reception to that will be like. Hopefully his second album is massive and this booking then looks like a masterstroke.

To be clear my posts were only regarding Kasabian not being a stronger booking than Macca whether individually or as part of a collective set of headliners. They were not one hit wonders but there is no way they would be classed as a stronger booking than Macca. 

11 minutes ago, Glastocat said:

Agreed mate. You would think Kasabian were one hit wonders off the Britpop era reading a few of the posts on here.?

I understand that people want a more diverse set of headliners and for EE to not play it safe but Stormzy played the 2017 festival subbing the other stage. Would people think Emili Sande is a good headliner or Lorde? That's without releasing any new material in the time since. Yes I know Stormzy has a second album to come before the festival but know one knows what the reception to that will be like. Hopefully his second album is massive and this booking then looks like a masterstroke.

I think there is a definite element of gambling with the Stormzy booking because of that factor. If his second album tanks then the booking could look very silly.

I doubt it will, the guy is on a roll at the minute, but there's a chance. 

With all that being said - I'm chuffed they have taken that gamble. Stormzy isn't my cup of tea, but hopefully this means they start to take more gambles. To be clear - I'm not saying it's a gamble because he isn't big enough, rather it's a tall order to headline off the back of one widely praised album and one TBA.

2 minutes ago, clarkete said:

If not who cares? 

There are pretty much hundreds of other things to see at the same time and they've lost nowt by going for someone new in a headline slot rather than someone they've had before.

In good time this thread will move into the dusty archives and be merely a dark and sordid memory ;) 

Aye , you're right that it doesn't really matter and you really do understand that when you've been. Hard to really understand before, especially if you've attended other festivals that are built around the bands and one main stage. I don't do twitter or Facebook but I can imagine some of the ridiculous over reactions to the headliners from people who haven't been. Especially if you tell them Wednesday and Thursday are the best days and only a few bands actually play?.

Let's be honest here, it's what we have to talk about at the minute, so everyone is going to talk about it, and talk about and talk about and maybe post about it also.

Bring on Glasto!

2 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

To be clear my posts were only regarding Kasabian not being a stronger booking than Macca whether individually or as part of a collective set of headliners. They were not one hit wonders but there is no way they would be classed as a stronger booking than Macca. 

Yeah, I understood that mate. I was just exaggerating my point to prove how bands like Kasabian are under rated and under appreciated on this board.

24 minutes ago, Glastocat said:

Lorde 100% SHOULD raise to headliner level

whether she will I doubt but heck she’s a great artist

4 minutes ago, jparx said:

I think there is a definite element of gambling with the Stormzy booking because of that factor. If his second album tanks then the booking could look very silly.

I doubt it will, the guy is on a roll at the minute, but there's a chance. 

With all that being said - I'm chuffed they have taken that gamble. Stormzy isn't my cup of tea, but hopefully this means they start to take more gambles. To be clear - I'm not saying it's a gamble because he isn't big enough, rather it's a tall order to headline off the back of one widely praised album and one TBA.

I agree that it is a gamble of sorts and it will be very interesting what headlines the other on Friday night. 

1 minute ago, Glastocat said:

Yeah, I understood that mate. I was just exaggerating my point to prove how bands like Kasabian are under rated and under appreciated on this board.

Fair enough, different strokes for different folks and all that though. It's what makes this place great. We all love a debate. 

4 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

I don't think anyone was saying that, they were saying that the collective headliners of Metallica, Kasabian and Arcade Fire were overall a stronger collective line up of what may be The Cure, Stormzy and Lady Gaga. 

I don't think that's really all that disputable right now. Stormzy clearly the lesser mainstream artist of the six talking in this point in time, Lady Gaga, other than a film had her peak a few years back and hasn't done a lot major since and The Cure are a stable long term rock band who are well known but not any sort of juggernaut level. 

Obviously that perception can change with time. We might even get those headliners, even if so Gaga might go on to have a resurgence on the back of this movie and Stormzy might well go on to become a mega star. Or not. 

Time will tell but speaking as of now then I think that's a fair enough statement to make. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, chatty said:

I don't think anyone was saying that, they were saying that the collective headliners of Metallica, Kasabian and Arcade Fire were overall a stronger collective line up of what may be The Cure, Stormzy and Lady Gaga.  

I don't think that's really all that disputable right now. Stormzy clearly the lesser mainstream artist of the six talking in this point in time, Lady Gaga, other than a film had her peak a few years back and hasn't done a lot major since and The Cure are a stable long term rock band who are well known but not any sort of juggernaut level.  

I'd definitely dispute (some of) that.

Stormzy the least mainstream of the 6? Nope. That'd be Arcade Fire, and by some distance. When I get asked who's playing Glastonbury, and I say Stormzy, just about everyone knows who that is (even if that's for reasons beyond music, it still counts). When Arcade Fire played, the general reaction was "who's that?". Because they're more of a traditional Glastonbury-style band that are widely liked on this forum, their perceived status gets artificially elevated. But they really aren't well known to the general public.

Purely in terms of how big of a name they are outside of the hardcore / efests bubble, rather than any specific musical taste (personally I'd rather see AF than him, and did when they played), I think it's fair to say that Stormzy outranks Arcade Fire by a huge margin, and the other 4 pretty much cancel each other out.

21 minutes ago, chatty said:

Obviously that perception can change with time. We might even get those headliners, even if so Gaga might go on to have a resurgence on the back of this movie and Stormzy might well go on to become a mega star. Or not. 

Time will tell but speaking as of now then I think that's a fair enough statement to make. 

My point was that Macca was a stronger booking anyway but fair enough.

The thing with 2014 though was that the circumstances were different but the headliners were quite comparable to the ones that we may get now:

Stormzy = Kasabian ( The act that has been bumped up to headline all be it Kasabian had more albums) It's debatable over who was more popular at the time of booking though.

The Cure = Metallica ( Aged heavy rock band vs a aged rock band that ticks the boxes for rock fans and their own core fans)

Arcade Fire are nowhere near Macca's levels though but if it were Gaga then their levels of popularity could have been similar if they had kicked on following their headline spot. 

Time will tell with Stormzy, he could have a massive 2nd album and go on to be a massive star. At least they have been bold enough to take a risk. 

Edited by Doug85

3 minutes ago, incident said:

I'd definitely dispute (some of) that.

Stormzy the least mainstream of the 6? Nope. That'd be Arcade Fire, and by some distance. When I get asked who's playing Glastonbury, and I say Stormzy, just about everyone knows who that is (even if that's for reasons beyond music, it still counts). When Arcade Fire played, the general reaction was "who's that?". Because they're more of a traditional Glastonbury-style band that are widely liked on this forum, their perceived status gets artificially elevated. But they really aren't well known to the general public.

Purely in terms of how big of a name they are outside of the hardcore / efests bubble, rather than any specific musical taste (personally I'd rather see AF than him, and did when they played), I think it's fair to say that Stormzy outranks Arcade Fire by a huge margin, and the other 4 pretty much cancel each other out.

AF were a massive world band though. They could fill stadiums all over the place, even if they weren't exactly mainstream in the UK.

Where as Stormzy is better known in this country for appearing on certain T.V shows and the like as much as for his music. (Not really sure if this is true or not but it appears to be the case for peoples mams at least?).

I’m not agreeing or disagreeing with anyone’s posts about who is bigger than who but thought the monthly listens on Spotify are an interesting guide for popularity as of right now (and I am in no way intending to stoke the fire with this info ?)

Gaga 32 million

Metallica 11 million

Macca 10 million

The Cure 6 million

Arcade Fire 3 million

Stormzy 3 million

Kasabian 2 million

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Phoenix Girl said:

I’m not agreeing or disagreeing with anyone’s posts about who is bigger than who but thought the monthly listens on Spotify are an interesting guide for popularity as of right now (and I am in no way intending to stoke the fire with this info ?)

Gaga 32 million

Metallica 11 million

Macca 10 million

The Cure 6 million

Arcade Fire 3 million

Stormzy 3 million

Kasabian 2 million

Any list topped by Gaga and Metallica with Kasabian at the bottom is good by me!

39 minutes ago, Phoenix Girl said:

Gaga 32 million

Metallica 11 million

Macca 10 million

The Cure 6 million

Arcade Fire 3 million

Stormzy 3 million

Kasabian 2 million

Does Macca include The Beatles?