2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

10 minutes ago, doogie said:

If Macca's pulled out, I wouldn't be surprised if they simply bump up an existing booking.

So Liam Gallagher it is (maybe!)

I think they'd only bump someone up if an act pulled out much closer to the event. If Macca has pulled out, they have 7 months to find a replacement. They still have a lot of time so they won't be scrambling trying to find a solution.

• Upvote 1

Does anyone else feel like we're looking at full British line-up headliners? 

The way Stormzy was announced makes me think that they might be planning on announcing the other two in a similar fashion, in Oxfam shops near where the artist/band grew up.

(Or do they have Oxfam in America? Never been.) If there are Oxfam locations in U.S. Gaga is a possibility, if not, then I think it will be British musicians this year.

It's easy to see why people wouldn't see Gaga as a headliner, especially after being teased with Macca. Maybe I've been living under a rock for the last few years but prior to this film, I literally heard nothing of her since her early success. I quite liked her when the first couple of records come out, very different and catchy. But since then I don't remember hearing much.. if anything of her. Maybe that's just me it seems like the booking would be hugely influenced by the film.

If we hadn't been teased with Macca then maybe it would be different, you're going from arguably the greatest songwriter this country has ever produced to someone who I think it's fair to say (forgetting about the film), isn't as big as the last time she played. Stormzy is a great booking and The Cure.. are The Cure but it does need a big headliner to complement them, granted that may be difficult now if Macca has pulled out

Having said all that.. this may all be in vain and Macca may still do it.. and the Gaga rumours are based on nothing currently

3 minutes ago, mufcok said:

and The Cure.. are The Cure but it does need a big headliner to complement them, granted that may be difficult now if Macca has pulled out

For me, The Cure do actually seem like the weakest of the three. They seem to be everywhere at the moment, so it's not like you're getting something rare and nostalgic, and although I recognise some of their tunes, it feels a lot like background music to me. Having said that, a few of my mates said they would go along, so what do I know....

Just now, Sasperella said:

For me, The Cure do actually seem like the weakest of the three. They seem to be everywhere at the moment, so it's not like you're getting something rare and nostalgic, and although I recognise some of their tunes, it feels a lot like background music to me. Having said that, a few of my mates said they would go along, so what do I know....

Yeah, they're a great band. I'll certainly be there watching them bar a ridiculous clash. I think it's because they've been around the block that much it doesn't feel like an inspired booking

I think it's fair to say (and doesn't do any of the acts in question a particular disservice) that a trio of Stormzy/The Cure/Gaga would be the weakest set of headliners since 2014. The festival has booked BIG since then. If you put Macca back in place of Gaga then you're back in big booking territory again. 

11 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Have your mates seen The Cure before? They are one of the few bands that I saw once and that's all I needed. 

1 minute ago, Acid Loafers said:

Have your mates seen The Cure before? They are one of the few bands that I saw once and that's all I needed. 

They have not... I do partly wonder if it's not just because they've heard of them and (for two in particular) they're newbies and are just excited about seeing everything! But then they've been round a long time so they can't be that bad (can they?).... it's more just the fact that I don't think it's that exciting rather than I think they're shit. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Acid Loafers said:

Does anyone else feel like we're looking at full British line-up headliners? 

The way Stormzy was announced makes me think that they might be planning on announcing the other two in a similar fashion, in Oxfam shops near where the artist/band grew up.

(Or do they have Oxfam in America? Never been.) If there are Oxfam locations in U.S. Gaga is a possibility, if not, then I think it will be British musicians this year.

good luck with someone spotting that one .... im doubting many Americans have heard of Glastonbury let alone getting someone to find a poster and get a photo of it on social media ... it was a relatively slow in this country getting the news to break .... what's the % of americans with passports ?  :) 

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

You're right about how white they are.  I don't think Robert Smith has a funky bone in his body.

Robert Smith getting funky would be as awkward as watching me and @Woffy getting in a muddle over whether we're handshaking or fist bumping, and then one of us getting completely the wrong vibe and trying for a hug.

When was the last time two of the acts weren’t rock acts? Even throughout most of the lead up, people used to predict only one act would be a pop singer or a rapper. Not riding for the white men with guitars but it’s something the Glastonbury population would definitely feel and why Gaga seems less of a natural replacement for McCartney to me than it does for some of yall.

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

When was the last time two of the acts weren’t rock acts? Even throughout most of the lead up, people used to predict only one act would be a pop singer or a rapper. Not riding for the white men with guitars but it’s something the Glastonbury population would definitely feel and why Gaga seems less of a natural replacement for McCartney to me than it does for some of yall.

Are we counting Coldplay as a rock act for this purpose?