2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

They played at Glastonbury last year. Just do it with that.

i can't she phoned me and asked if they were good, i was so battered i just mumbled something about drum and bass and then hung up 

must not get that battered next year

who am I kididng , by Wednesday afternoon all bets are off

2 hours ago, Keithy said:

Macca's voice is fine. It's not like he's been on 40 a day for the last 30 years. 'His voice has gone' is rapidly becoming a new urban myth alongside 'Paul is dead'. It seems the sole basis of this myth is the Olympic appearance over 6 years ago which was more to do with sound issues with the monitors, etc rather than his voice.

If he's pulled out then it's likely to be either:

1. BST have offered him big money to be an exclusive and not doing Glastonbury is in the deal

2. The Eavii and Macca cannot agree TV coverage (as the Stones pretty much did until the 11th hour)

3. He's extending his US tour

4. It was never has nailed on as we thought but rather 'first option' and either Macca or the Eavii have decided not to take it forward.

Personally, I think it's number 1. I'd imagine that his plan was to do BST and Glastonbury (as the low Glastonbury fee is offset by the BST fee) but BST don't want him playing Glastonbury. I know he's not a pauper but just playing Glastonbury is probably a loss for someone like him in terms of production, transport, band costs, etc.

5. He was always booked for 2020 not this year

6. HE was booked for 2019 but it's now changed to 2020

17 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

re: adding more dates.

I've said before and it actually made me sceptical that he'd play at one point but the Arroyo Seco Weekend has taken place on the last weekend of June both times it's been on. It's booked by Paul Tollett, who is lead booker at Coachella and one-time Desert Trip - both of which Paul McCartney has played - and Sir Paul seems a pretty good headline option for them following on from Tom Petty and Neil Young. What's more, it's in California where there are no upcoming Macca shows and it's obviously one state over from Arizona so it's no time at all.

Do we know what the dates are for next year? Glastonbury weekend presumably 

1 minute ago, strummer77 said:

You would think Paul has something reasonably lined up over here.

At the moment he's just doing those three arena dates in December, which sold out straight away, and hasn't added anything.

Well yeah but even if he is no longer playing, he did have Glasto and BST lined up by the sounds of it. Maybe he'll replace them with something else or he'll just come back and do them in 2020 instead.

2 minutes ago, henry bear said:

https://www.musicfestivalwizard.com/festivals/arroyo-seco-weekend-2019/ 

Dates unconfirmed but that website and also another I checked suggesting it will be that weekend (the one before Glastonbury), if the same pattern continues from the last 2 years

3 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Does anyone on efestivals possess a private jet so we can test the 'restful environment' hypothesis? 

Yes but can't rest because Paul is still singing Hey Jude.

1 minute ago, henry bear said:

Would presume so but it could still go either way. They announced this year's on 1st Jan.

3 minutes ago, strummer77 said:

You would think Paul has something reasonably lined up over here.

At the moment he's just doing those three arena dates in December, which sold out straight away, and hasn't added anything.

Three UK arena dates is pretty much the norm for what he does on each album.

8 minutes ago, mufcok said:

Dates unconfirmed but that website and also another I checked suggesting it will be that weekend (the one before Glastonbury), if the same pattern continues from the last 2 years

That flouts the pattern, if anything. Like, festivals usually set up for a set weekend (eg. last weekend in June for Glastonbury, weekend before Bank Holiday Monday in August for R+L) or else they'd just travel right across the calendar.

I think it's reasonable to assume that his US tour is a priority, and that while it's going on, he'd be happy to do Glastonbury if he can do it - but that if it becomes an issue, he'd give priority to the part of the world he's in right now (knowing that realistically, he could headline any year he likes). So my working theory is that if he's pulled out or put it back by a year, it's probably either because of extra dates State-side, or a realisation that he doesn't especially want to come all the way back home for a festival.

He's also huge enough that if he did play 2020, nobody would bat an eyelid. It doesn't come much bigger.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Three UK arena dates is pretty much the norm for what he does on each album.

True but he hasn't done many dates here for a while (it seems to me he has played elsewhere a lot more in recent years?). It feels like there's more interest in him maybe because of the various 50 year commemorations etc. Just would expect something else next summer but who knows...

5 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Why do people keep avoiding referring to @Brave Sir Robin by name? He's not a mystery dude on the Glasto boards. :lol:

When I was posting about him yesterday I actually couldn't remember who it was and couldn't be arsed to look. Referred to him as Mr BST Hints today so people knew it was the guy I was on about yesterday.

Apologies @Brave Sir Robin.