2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

The woman off twitter almost definitely isn’t lying, you can just tell from her demeanour with it. That still doesn’t mean it’s true though. I know people in “the industry” and I also work sort of in the industry, and I know more about Glasto rumours from coming on here than anything else.

People tell me all sorts of things that they’ve heard which I know are wrong. It’s all just gossip as Neil said, but because they’re not as obsessed as us it’s often even less fact-checked and just Chinese whispered as an interesting thing they heard.

6 minutes ago, Bradders said:

The woman off twitter almost definitely isn’t lying, you can just tell from her demeanour with it. That still doesn’t mean it’s true though. I know people in “the industry” and I also work sort of in the industry, and I know more about Glasto rumours from coming on here than anything else.

People tell me all sorts of things that they’ve heard which I know are wrong. It’s all just gossip as Neil said, but because they’re not as obsessed as us it’s often even less fact-checked and just Chinese whispered as an interesting thing they heard.

Here's hoping it was Chinese whispers

Person A "The Streets are playing Glastonbury, right?"
Person B "Not any more, Mike has pulled out"
Person A : "Wow! Hey person C, did you hear? Mike has pulled out of Glastonbury!"
Person C : "Macca's pulled out of Glastonbury? Wow! Thats going straight on my twitter account!"
Everyone at efestivals : "Twitter says Macca has pulled out. Lady Gaga is headlining instead!"

• Upvote 1

Some solid looking info on macca doing bonnaroo with arctic monkeys. 

The info says Macca kept pulling out and then coming back to the table and asking for more, but now hes finally signed. I wonder if he tried to pull the same thing with glasto and they werent having it?

https://m.imgur.com/a/VmULMvY

Edited by MetaKate
Added info link
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, caballosblancos said:

I’m sure you’ve all talked about this a million times, but what’s a ballpark £ figure for a Pyramid headliner?

https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/music/817113/Glastonbury-2017-festival-pay-money-bands-singers-Emily-Eavis-wage

Apparently £200k for Coldplay.

6 minutes ago, MetaKate said:

Some solid looking info on macca doing bonnaroo with artic monkeys. 

The info says Macca kept pulling out and then coming back to the table and asking for more, but now hes finally signed. I wonder if he tried to pull the same thing with glasto and they werent having it?

Jesus, I worry about posting stuff people tell me in passing or might not be true.

Imagine leaking a whole text conversation plus a line up poster.

4 minutes ago, caballosblancos said:

I’m sure you’ve all talked about this a million times, but what’s a ballpark £ figure for a Pyramid headliner?

I believe they paid £750k for the stones in the end.

So i'd guess they've maybe paid £500k for someone else along the way.

1 minute ago, Acid Loafers said:

likely to be done on the cheap to some degree, I reckon.

18 minutes ago, MetaKate said:

Or alternatively, that twitter random's info came from one of the moments his camp were out. He may still be in/in negotiations. Headliners are wrapped up later than this quite often.

Edited by strummer77

12 minutes ago, MetaKate said:

You would think he was old enough and rich enough not to feel the need to behave like that! Obviously could just all be more baseless gossip, but if your hypothesis were true, I do really hope they told him where to go....

15 minutes ago, MetaKate said:

The Bonnaroo subreddit isn't buying this line-up. Do have to agree that having all of these booked for June does seem a bit early...

One comment does stand out at debunking the line-up. Apparently, the band Zoogma has split and performed their last show back in September so... Who knows what to believe. 

2 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

You would think he was old enough and rich enough not to feel the need to behave like that! Obviously could just all be more baseless gossip, but if your hypothesis were true, I do really hope they told him where to go....

As standard, a manager will be expected to get their act the best deal they can, plus of course their own wage is likely to be a percentage of what they get for the act.

I wouldn't read anything about it onto Macca.

4 minutes ago, strummer77 said:

Or alternatively, that twitter random's info came from one of the moments his camp were out. He may still be in/in negotiations.

Hopefully!!

4 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

I kind of believe it because the marked poster looks pretty legit..  and it parallels the info we are dealing with... but I have absolutely no idea. 

I think whats happening right now is him trying to line up NA festivals and hes playing the field trying to get as much money as possible... 

I'm just hoping hes still at glasto. 

10 minutes ago, Acid Loafers said:

The Bonnaroo subreddit isn't buying this line-up. Do have to agree that having all of these booked for June does seem a bit early...

One comment does stand out at debunking the line-up. Apparently, the band Zoogma has split and performed their last show back in September so... Who knows what to believe. 

Subreddits are a dark place ?

If its fake...its the most legit looking fake I've ever seen... someone has way too much time on their hands. 

2 hours ago, ghostdancer1 said:

from reading some people on here, you'd think Kasabian and Arcade Fire were unknowns playing to 50 people in pubs when they headlined Glastonbury (see also Mumford and Sons).

Arcade Fire had played multiple arenas on tour here, and already headlined R&L. two UK no.1 albums, and a no.2 album.

Metallica had done multiple arena tours, headlined R&L, Sonisphere, Download, Wembley Stadium...multiple UK no.1 albums.

Kasabian - multiple arenas, headlined R&L, headlined IoW. Four UK no.1 albums, and a no.4 album.

The Cure, McCartney and Lady Gaga basically play the same type of gigs here. Stormzy hasn't done anything close to those yet.

sure, none of them are Coldplay/Adele/Muse/U2/Ed Sheeran stature regular stadium botherers, multi-million album sellers, but neither are most Glastonbury headliners.

there's a lot of rewriting of history on here in general.

Agreed mate. You would think Kasabian were one hit wonders off the Britpop era reading a few of the posts on here.?

I understand that people want a more diverse set of headliners and for EE to not play it safe but Stormzy played the 2017 festival subbing the other stage. Would people think Emili Sande is a good headliner or Lorde? That's without releasing any new material in the time since. Yes I know Stormzy has a second album to come before the festival but know one knows what the reception to that will be like. Hopefully his second album is massive and this booking then looks like a masterstroke.

6 minutes ago, Glastocat said:

Agreed mate. You would think Kasabian were one hit wonders off the Britpop era reading a few of the posts on here.?

I understand that people want a more diverse set of headliners and for EE to not play it safe but Stormzy played the 2017 festival subbing the other stage. Would people think Emili Sande is a good headliner or Lorde? That's without releasing any new material in the time since. Yes I know Stormzy has a second album to come before the festival but know one knows what the reception to that will be like. Hopefully his second album is massive and this booking then looks like a masterstroke.

If not who cares? 

There are pretty much hundreds of other things to see at the same time and they've lost nowt by going for someone new in a headline slot rather than someone they've had before.

In good time this thread will move into the dusty archives and be merely a dark and sordid memory ;)