Strength of line up

bigbilly

16 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

The line-up isn't awful, there have definitely been worse in the time I've been going (hello 2016!), but it does feel a bit meh.

7 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

I had a bit of a dud year for example in 2011, but I still had a super wicked mad cool time.

2011, 2016 and 2022 had by far the best line-ups of those I've been to this century.

But as has been said over and over, it really is about subjective taste.

I can look at this year and say it's not great, but in truth there are so many acts I haven't actually listened to (and many I've never even heard of before). If we're all honest, can we truthfully say the line-up is truly bad, or is it just full of unfamiliar names and we assume it won't be good...

1 hour ago, maelzoid said:

2011, 2016 and 2022 had by far the best line-ups of those I've been to this century.

But as has been said over and over, it really is about subjective taste.

I can look at this year and say it's not great, but in truth there are so many acts I haven't actually listened to (and many I've never even heard of before). If we're all honest, can we truthfully say the line-up is truly bad, or is it just full of unfamiliar names and we assume it won't be good...

It's not even about names ppl don't know, just that sometimes the tunes don't hit so well. I listened to the main stages of last year's line up and was utterly perplexed at ppl calling it stacked.

Just the way of the road.

My only must sees for this year are manics, guns n roses and elton , I've got loads of maybes and alot of bands I've never heard of that I need to listen to. It's going to be great again anyway 👏👏👏 

6 hours ago, Breeze said:

That isn't old age, it's senility. 😉

Next stage is full cerebral meltdown. After that the final stage is reading the Daily Mail.

You mustn't let it come to that, worst case I'll pay for a trip to Switzerland!

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

Killers fan, lol. If there's one thing the advancing of time is good for, it's hearing mr brightside and sex is on fire less and less.

being young is about being discerning enough to bin those off.

20 hours ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

Killers fan, lol. If there's one thing the advancing of time is good for, it's hearing mr brightside and sex is on fire less and less.

It's just a stupid gimmick that doesn't work when everyone knows in advance what's happening. Then all you've done is put a huge act on at a time / stage that can't handle the capacity 

Pulp in 2011 was one of my favourite ever performances anywhere, ever 🤷‍♂️ 

• Upvote 1

The lineup is absolutely fine. 

And I don't understand the negativity for FBS. He does perform every year. But I've put off seeing one of his sets for ages for that reason thinking "I'll catch him another time" and he was one of our highlights last year! I thought he mixed things up a bit. I think it'll be a brilliant vibe on the park in the dark and everyone there will have a blinder for sure. I'm torn but think if he is clashing with Mel C then I gotta go and see my Spice Girl... my husband and my son will be at GnR. That's the one time we'll be split

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

The lineup is absolutely fine. 

And I don't understand the negativity for FBS. He does perform every year. But I've put off seeing one of his sets for ages for that reason thinking "I'll catch him another time" and he was one of our highlights last year! I thought he mixed things up a bit. I think it'll be a brilliant vibe on the park in the dark and everyone there will have a blinder for sure. I'm torn but think if he is clashing with Mel C then I gotta go and see my Spice Girl... my husband and my son will be at GnR. That's the one time we'll be split

We'll be at GnR, but that FBS set will be a ton of fun

The only weak thing about the lineup this year is Cat Stevens in the "legend slot". Anywhere else...Great booking. But I'm sorry, just not the same is it....zzzzzzzzzzz

(P.s. I'm sure it'll be a lovely little time, Yusef fans...don't come for me) 

• Upvote 1

On 5/19/2023 at 11:45 AM, Supermerv said:

Agree with this, I get that he wants to play every stage, but headlining? I can't believe there weren't better options.

On 5/19/2023 at 11:49 AM, ameski18 said:

Fully agreed! I love FBS but I've seen him lots and he'd just not a headline material anymore. 💁🏻‍♀️

By what metric? I expect the crowds at The Park when he’s playing will be on the larger side of the average headliner crowd there! 

21 minutes ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

The only weak thing about the lineup this year is Cat Stevens in the "legend slot". Anywhere else...Great booking. But I'm sorry, just not the same is it....zzzzzzzzzzz

(P.s. I'm sure it'll be a lovely little time, Yusef fans...don't come for me) 

You not gonna be at the front for morning has broken then? 🤣

There seems to be a crowd dispersion applied to this years festival. No mega names to encourage crushes. I've got DJ's I wanna see, but theres about 5% of that line up I recognise & want to see. I have a few contenders I'll definitely be avoiding, but have listened to the woodsies playlist and loved it. 

This will be my second and last Glasto, so I'm going to enjoy it.

5 hours ago, Superscally said:

We'll be at GnR, but that FBS set will be a ton of fun

Yep. I've seen him a few times over the years sometimes deliberately sometimes not. It ain't ground breaking (don't think he's changed what he does since the 90s!) but it's always fun.

The funny thing is, in all the years I've been going, there's never been the perfect Glastonbury lineup for me. The best lineups for my taste have been at the more heavily sponsored commercial festivals like Reading in 2000, T in the Park 2008, Mad Cool 2018 or Primavera 2022. None of them came close to the Glastonbury experience though. That will always be the difference. 

• Upvote 2

I remember Emily saying something a while back about how the headliners 'set the tone' for the festival, and I do reckon that's the case - not just Pyramid ones but the stage headliners elsewhere and other big slots. The line up that's been announced so far looks fine to me overall (objectively in terms of artist size rather than my own taste) but the stuff at the top of the bill generally isn't inspiring, and maybe that's setting this tone of disappointment for people regardless of what the rest of it looks like?