LAWKS! It’s the Next Announcement Thread 2022!

jparx

8 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Stick the DJ booth in a shipping container with a window on the front. The crane can take the DJ around the crowd. Might have to avoid vinyl though and just stick to digital production. 

On this type of thing, the KLF wanted to do this at Glastonbury (although they wanted to play from a stand suspended from a Chinook helicopter over the crowd - it was unsurprisingly denied). 

4 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

There are solutions to that, I posted a while back in another thread that the port at Bestival used to have a crane that suspended performers above the crowd, and whilst at Bestival I experienced an actual hurricane one year. The moon was relatively light with a large surface area which was its issue, so do something else instead.

It’s all seemingly moot anyway due to the planning issue, but they said they had a five year plan for it and I would have much rather have seen that evolve than the same thing over and over again.

Get the points above, and things can be fixed and evolve obviously. But i personally think it didn't hit the ground running enough, the main part of it just didn't work for whatever reason - like someone else has said, its a once a year festival. 

Definite moot point anyway. I guess unless they have a very quick and easy idea (which i'm not against, change is good), the spider is just the easy win. 

4 minutes ago, Cam91 said:

Get the points above, and things can be fixed and evolve obviously. But i personally think it didn't hit the ground running enough, the main part of it just didn't work for whatever reason - like someone else has said, its a once a year festival. 

Definite moot point anyway. I guess unless they have a very quick and easy idea (which i'm not against, change is good), the spider is just the easy win. 

Yep agree with all that. 

6 minutes ago, Smeble said:

Fantastic but I have to say post pandemic ( if we are) I look at crowds very differently to how I saw them before, even outside.

I thought it might be a bit strange too. But literally five minutes after putting up my tent and walking around at Latitude last year, any anxiety or weird thoughts about crowds completely disappeared. And I was only conscious about that much later on. 

3 minutes ago, Obiginnaw said:

Vote me for 1pm as that’s when I’ll be busiest at work so won’t have a chance to have a look 

I'm going on my stag do on Sunday until Wednesday so I expect AT LEAST one announcement on each of those days as I definitely won't be able to study them...

I thought it would have been by now, if today, as can’t see it being an afternoon announcement. So, unfortunately I’m thinking Tuesday.

If only there were people who perhaps tracked the timing of historical announcements and would know there was a chance of a PM announcement. But those sort of people don’t exist in reality, do they? 😉

#thereisnopattern

The only reasons I can fathom that people are speculating the spider is coming back to replace the crane, must be one of the following:

• Wishful thinking from the "spider was better" crowd
  • Insider knowledge

Because actually, in a "matter of fact" sense, the crane is still there. And it's less than 10 weeks until the festival. It's pretty well secured in location as things stand, with no evidence of works beginning on it's removal thus far.

It seems bizarre that after knowing about the planning issues with the crane all this time, they would leave it until right before the festival to start removing it. And then install the spider there instead.

Surely if it's been left up this long, the plan will be to give it one last outing, before removing it after the festival. That makes a hell of a lot more sense than rushing to remove it in the run up to the festival.

Of course, I guess perhaps there is some inside knowledge. If not, it seems like wishful thinking to me.

If an area is getting a big revamp, the news tends to come with a fairly early announcement and at least some of the line-up. 

Park 2007 - 8th May (rest of the line-up was 31 May)

West Holts 2010 (rebrand of Jazzworld) - 7th April 

Silver Hayes 2013 (rebrand of Dance Village) - 22nd Feb

The exception was Pangea which came after most of the other areas in 2019.

Edited by Gnomicide

1 minute ago, Sku said:

The only reasons I can fathom that people are speculating the spider is coming back to replace the crane, must be one of the following:

• Insider knowledge

Because actually, in a "matter of fact" sense, the crane is still there. And it's less than 10 weeks until the festival. It's pretty well secured in location as things stand, with no evidence of works beginning on it's removal thus far.

It seems bizarre that after knowing about the planning issues with the crane all this time, they would leave it until right before the festival to start removing it. And then install the spider there instead.

Surely if it's been left up this long, the plan will be to give it one last outing, before removing it after the festival. That makes a hell of a lot more sense than rushing to remove it in the run up to the festival.

Of course, I guess perhaps there is some inside knowledge. If not, it seems like wishful thinking to me.

A couple of us have heard this info from people close to Arcadia. 

There’s little point in sending the teams to the farm twice so it will all be done together and apparently they don’t want to waste money developing the crane idea further so it’s being removed. 

6 minutes ago, Sku said:

• Insider knowledge

This is a good point to be fair, if the issue is planning then to please the council the best path of action is to remove it as soon as possible if the spider is going to be used this way. It sounds like its still very ongoing to me though

2 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Tomorrow is still a goer if not today I reckon. We ever had a Good Friday announcement? The Thingy is missing this crucial info 😋

It's not often that Easter is this late. Would people be working on a bank holiday though??