2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

3 minutes ago, Boomtowner said:

The Who 2007  - it was like watching a gig whilst full dressed in one of those waterfall showers. I also had two under 10's in tow but they're one of my favourite bands and I had to see it through to the end. It was grim.

Possibly the wettest I’ve ever been, that said we were 4 or 5 from the front, crammed in like sardines, and my mate passed out, not sure if it was heat, exhaustion, crushing or all three. She was fine, came round in seconds and was absolutely fine. I was gonna get her pulled out but she refused.

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

Maybe it’s because my memories of that year are almost entirely clouded by the shit ground conditions and weather, but I remember the lineup being good, not amazing. Had three incredible headliners - Sigur Ros, Adele, LCD Soundsystem - but remember a lot of the undercard just being so-so for my personal taste (but that said, still had plenty to see every hour of every day).

Sunday Headliners were ridiculous though.  Coldplay Vs LCD Vs Earth Wind & Fire Vs Grimes Vs Cyndi Lauper. Obviously made the right call to see one of the best gigs of all time in LCD but would have happily seen all of these. 

I feel sorry for Jake Bugg who must of had 5 people watching him at John Peel given the above competition. Anyone there that can confirm it was 5 people? 

26 minutes ago, Smeble said:

Not a dig but I don’t think the VWs I saw getting their front ends ripped off thought it was funny.

we managed to get in and out under our own steam, getting in was harder as a Marshall decided to walk in front of us to show us where to go, but it being pitch black, chucking it down and on wet glass I just wanted to get some speed up to keep going, just had to camp where I stopped.

getting out I walked a route I thought I could do and then did it, I was out in 20 minutes.

Yea, not funny haha. Funny bedlam. And the 12 hours sat uphill in pylle shagged my engine. 

(Also some prick nicked the badges off my Toyota, but that’s a separate grudge)

Edited by whitehorses

I actually quite enjoyed 2016. On paper, totally miserable. But had a blast. Was there with a good group of mates, SE Corner on Sunday night was rather great from what I remember. Very bottom-heavy festival - Pyramid Headliners were bin but plenty of gold beneath that. First year I went with my then-girlfriend of two months (now *Borat voice* my wife.)

I also got a later coach and managed to avoid the carnage of bogged-down car parks and all that, apart from about an hour/45-minute spell where the coach driver let us go to the pub we were queued outside to watch the Euros.

18 minutes ago, mpdow2 said:

Sunday Headliners were ridiculous though.  Coldplay Vs LCD Vs Earth Wind & Fire Vs Grimes Vs Cyndi Lauper. Obviously made the right call to see one of the best gigs of all time in LCD but would have happily seen all of these. 

I feel sorry for Jake Bugg who must of had 5 people watching him at John Peel given the above competition. Anyone there that can confirm it was 5 people? 

I believe he pulled in half a decent sized crowd. I watched it back on iplayer when I got home. He was grateful to everyone who turned up for him to say the least. I did feel for him tho 

14 minutes ago, LinvoyPrimus said:

I actually quite enjoyed 2016. On paper, totally miserable. But had a blast. Was there with a good group of mates, SE Corner on Sunday night was rather great from what I remember. Very bottom-heavy festival - Pyramid Headliners were bin but plenty of gold beneath that. First year I went with my then-girlfriend of two months (now *Borat voice* my wife.)

I also got a later coach and managed to avoid the carnage of bogged-down car parks and all that, apart from about an hour/45-minute spell where the coach driver let us go to the pub we were queued outside to watch the Euros.

I left early on that Monday morning, battled through the traffic, got home, showered, cleaned up, had a cup of tea and ordered a pizza which arrived just as England were kicking off against Iceland…

Ended up wishing I was still in the car park queue.

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I left early on that Monday morning, battled through the traffic, got home, showered, cleaned up, had a cup of tea and ordered a pizza which arrived just as England were kicking off against Iceland…

We took 3 hours to get to Wells caked in mud,  where the little old ladies running the BnB were "delighted" to see us.

The end of festival anticlimax plunged to depression watching Iceland take England apart.

4 hours ago, JoeyT said:

I heard there were some issues behind the scenes in regards to getting people on / off site in 2016.

From what I've heard the festival had previously used Young Farmer groups for roles in exchange for tickets / a donation.

For 2016 they didn't which meant they had people with little to no experience of driving heavy machinery. When they approached the Young Farmers clubs in their hour of need they'd already had their noses put out of place by the pre-festival snub so refused to help.

IIRC they said that a lot of the metal trackway they had planned to use was under a couple of inches of mud at the Download festival site, which meant they were short. 2016 was our first year in CV West, I saw a lot of folk in tears as their beloved vehicles were towed off by tractors. There must have been thousands of pounds worth of damage caused by the giant ruts that developed. We saw one six figure motor home have its bumper wrenched off. Heartbreaking.

1 minute ago, Guy Incognito said:

2016 line up was shite. 2017s was much better 

Just reading down the lineup page I saw and enjoyed Foals, ZZ top, Skepta, Adele, Tame Impala, Last Shadow Puppets, Wolf Alice, Coldplay, Ellie Goulding, Bring Me The Horizon, Sigur Ros, Dua Lipa, Band of Horses, Stormzy, Paranoid London, Fatima Yamaha, Bicep, Moxie Presents, Joy Orbison & Fold, Mr G, Joey Beltram, Mike Dunn, Craig Richards, Ben UFO b2b Job Jose… it was solid.

3 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

It had stopped raining long before Coldplay, and they were really good that night.

That was the first year I'd missed since I started in 2002. I know you'll all take the piss, but I remember watching that Coldplay set  in tears, as I knew that's where I should be. It did look ace on TV with the sides of the Pyramid all lit up in different colours.

I've got mixed feelings about 2016.  On the one hand, the ground conditions were the worst I've dealt with. Barely being able to sit down for 18 hours a day, feeling like I'm dragging concrete wellies while taking three times as long to get around places. It was a slog.

However, LCD on Sunday made all of that irrelevant.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

If you think that is bad, a friend of mine left early Monday morning, headed to Bristol airport to catch a flight to watch the game in person.

He says it is one of the most miserable experiences of his life. Although it can't have been that bad, as he said he would do the same again if it came to it.

I feel most sorry for the people who had to sit near him on the flight considering he didn't have the chance to shower between festival & flight 🤢

3 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Seems like we had similar Mondays in 2016, although I was on the coach so was out very quickly, probably the earliest Ive ever got home. Which balanced out the 14 hours it took to get there.

I remember getting a pizza and making it to half time in the match before going to bed. Can't remember if I checked the score in the night or in the morning, but I was seriously none-plussed about it.

2016 was such hardwork and I'd given up by Sunday and never vowed to go back. Pretty sure my last 3 have been my last ones on the Monday post-festival.

31 minutes ago, reflekting said:

I was too fully consumed in feeling gutted about Brexit to enjoy that Friday. 

That Friday morning was the weirdest least pleasant vibe I've ever experienced at the festival. ☹️ By mid-afternoon a few bands (Christine & the Queens in particular!) and beers had helped to cheer me up, but yeah was an odd day all round.

57 minutes ago, reflekting said:

It was the strangest day. Woke up to a loud voice from one of the neighbouring tents exclaiming " Well, that's us all fucked then".

I was in a foul mood for the first 3-4 hours, very melancholic (never happened before at Glastonbury), with the rest of our group trying to cheer me up. They eventually succeeded, only for it to hit my wife later that evening. This is the major reason why 2016 ranks towards the bottom of my Glastonbury experiences, not the rain.

6 minutes ago, Boomtowner said:

It was the strangest day. Woke up to a loud voice from one of the neighbouring tents exclaiming " Well, that's us all fucked then".

I was in a foul mood for the first 3-4 hours, very melancholic (never happened before at Glastonbury), with the rest of our group trying to cheer me up. They eventually succeeded, only for it to hit my wife later that evening. This is the major reason why 2016 ranks towards the bottom of my Glastonbury experiences, not the rain.

yeah a bit of a bastard that ... and on my 40th  Birthday too 😞 

1 hour ago, reflekting said:

Such a weird day. I was told around 5.30am, and then outside the tent you could just hear people expressing dismay as they found out. I am so glad I was at Glastonbury that year (mud and all) as the festival allowed us to escape the national post mortem. I needed those precious days to process the result and be reminded of the joy that is the collective Glastonbury spirit to restore my faith in humanity.

• Upvote 3

At the time I worked in a job that was massively linked to the brexit outcome either way (financial) but they still honoured my annual leave that was booked before the date was set. My colleagues were in the office late Thursday evening and through the following day dealing with their own and my clients, whilst I was at Glastonbury enjoying myself. Woke up Friday morning to about 500 messages on our work chat group. They never really forgave me for somehow getting out of it and leaving them to deal with it all.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton