BBC Glastonbury

JoeyT

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

They've missed a trick by not whacking all of the Best Ofs on the iPlayer.

I had the same thought, rather than randomly having the editions from 2000, 2011 and 2019, why not have a big double bill shown on TV or at least throw them on the pop up channel 

8 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I see that the Best of 2011 is on BBC Four tonight. Anyone know if it’ll be on the iPlayer afterwards? It was the first me and Mrs J attended together so would be nice to watch.

They've missed a trick by not whacking all of the Best Ofs on the iPlayer.

Well they didnt post best of 2010 last night, only 2000. And they did best of 2019 on friday. Likely the 2011 will go up on iplayer since there doesnt seem to be another “experience” program tonight and itll be the only thing on against Bowie and or Sheeran. And yeah, surprising they didnt show best ofs for the last decade at least. Maybe monday has some more interesting counter programming for the evening and itll go up.  If the goal is to show the diversity of the festival, show it, dont throw small nuggets ya know.

Edited by Suprefan

16 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

You can still voice an opinion & say "I dont like x, y or z" though.

I havent seen a Pyramid Headliner for 6 years, so it isnt an overriding factor. I should have last night & tonight though.

Absolutely. And I kinda wish people would just do that sometimes rather than saying so and so doesn't deserve to headline, so and so isn't big enough etc etc. You can't like everything and that's absolutely fine!

3 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Absolutely. And I kinda wish people would just do that sometimes rather than saying so and so doesn't deserve to headline, so and so isn't big enough etc etc. You can't like everything and that's absolutely fine!

Agree with that completely. “I don’t like them” is not a valid reason for dismissing a headliner.

I have no love for Ezra, but it’s downright ridiculous to claim he isn’t well along the path to headlining.

Just woke up to Lionel Ritchie singing dancing on the ceiling on BBc2 teatime favourites fell asleep for an hour and a half on sofa this afternoon after staying up til 2.30am last night at a Glastonbury sleepover! Had a quick catch up and am surprised how many of these I have seen over the years ! 

2 minutes ago, jyoung said:

I prefer to concentrate on bigging up the things I love rather than slating what I don't like. I think there's already enough negativity in the world and I accept that not everyone is going to be for me and that's ok because there's more than enough stuff in the world that is for me. 

As for saying someone doesn't deserve to headline I'm pretty sure the festival have an idea of whether they'll draw a big enough crowd. There have been artists headlining some stages that I have never even heard of and you know what none of them have ever played to an empty field. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Matt42 said:

Hearing Jeff Lynne apologising for the rain from my tent is a Glastonbury memory. Jesus that legend slot flopped a bit didn’t it?

He was never into it. 

In an interview after his show, he said he’d performed because “his manager told him to”.

Went through the motions. 

I think you should make it a point to see one headliner over the weekend and not stress out over the other 2, unless you have to see that artist so badly that you would cut your arm off in any other situation to see em anyway. This year I wouldve seen Macca and not thought twice about Kendrick and Taylor. Its fine having a George Ezra on there so you at least know that a ton of people will be in one place and you can avoid it to go do something else.  Maybe its just people feeling that they dont like knowing they went to that year of glasto which had ( in their eyes ) a cringeworthy headliner.

Edited by Suprefan

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Hearing Jeff Lynne apologising for the rain from my tent is a Glastonbury memory. Jesus that legend slot flopped a bit didn’t it?

That slot needs to bring a party vibe these days. The weather didn’t help but ELO just aren’t the sort of act for that slot.

Strikes me as they wanted to book ELO but didn’t have anywhere else to put them.

I saw ELO at the O2 a couple of years ago. Exactly the same. Great songs, but no interaction whatsoever. Mind you, the O2 didn't help as a venue. 

Shame, because I had always wanted to see them. Lynne is more a producer/writer than a performer.

2 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Still upset Paul Simon didn't play Graceland.

One of the more disappointing performances on this slot - crowd was ridiculous packed but I think he was ill - anyway it was not a great performance 

Isn’t it just great watching the bbc coverage, no matter who is playing, and seeing all the smiling faces in the audiences, the groups of friends having the time of their lives, kids just being what kids should be, carefree .  Watching all the crowds has been a real treat, probably because I know exactly how they are feeling at that moment.

• Upvote 2