When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

10 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

This is new cases from 1st June, as you can the last 2 days have seen rises although yesterday was up on weekend figures. Even so the rises aren't big and should be taken as part of the whole picture.

Screenshot 2020-07-08 at 19.36.53.png

Still seem to be following a slope down looking at the figures! 

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

This is new cases from 1st June, as you can the last 2 days have seen rises although yesterday was up on weekend figures. Even so the rises aren't big and should be taken as part of the whole picture.

Screenshot 2020-07-08 at 19.36.53.png

It's expected when they've been reopening as many other countries had a small increase so nothing unexpected, but as you say its a marginal increase and sto a downward trend at a glance

I know the cynics in here thinking the Gov are trying to kill off the grannies and grandad's to save on the pension pot, but general Joe public are coming out with statements like this!! (this is a bloke who is 68) 

“Think of all the excess deaths we’ve had from Covid-19: more than 44,00 of them have been in my age group, the over 65s,” he said. “Surely the government has saved money as a result? That’s 44,000 fewer pensions the government is paying each week, plus they have probably saved a fortune in care home fees too. I’d like to see that money going into the NHS, not just hospitality.”

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jul/08/imagine-the-state-wed-be-in-if-corbyn-had-been-in-charge-the-view-from-the-red-wall 

Jesus, zero empathy :huh: 

8 hours ago, shoptildrop said:

I know the cynics in here thinking the Gov are trying to kill off the grannies and grandad's to save on the pension pot

the amount is minuscule in the scheme of things. Those cynics should take a moment to do the maths.

If all 55,000 deaths were pensioners, the saving is approx £0.5Bn a year. Peanuts!

14 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Besides, such a change in the demographics would reduce the Tory vote.

And Brexit voters.

Every cloud. 

(I don't really mean this obviously)

Edited by semmtexx

I don’t like how they’re making it out to be a race. We don’t just want the first vaccine that comes along. We want the right one with the least long term side effects. There’s a lot that is still to be discovered about the virus and I’d prefer to wait especially when it comes to the neurological effects. 

34 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I don’t like how they’re making it out to be a race. We don’t just want the first vaccine that comes along. We want the right one with the least long term side effects. There’s a lot that is still to be discovered about the virus and I’d prefer to wait especially when it comes to the neurological effects. 

To be fair to Boris (I don’t say that very often), there’s a quote in the piece where he does say it isn’t a race/competition.

I think @Toilet Duck said earlier in this thread that there are all kinds of rules and regulations that a vaccine has to go through that might focus on the issues you’ve raised.

1 hour ago, squirrelarmy said:

My limited understanding of how it works with getting a vaccine approved for use is that it won't just be approved because it's the first and we're in a hurry. There are stringent checks involved, and if Oxford do get this out ASAP it will have to be safe and have a good enough degree of effectiveness to be worthwhile.

I'm sure our glorious leader @Toilet Duck can speak more to it!

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

The daily briefing is back at 1700 today folks, brought to you by Oliver Dowden as he announces that gyms can open before the end of the month. 

oh no .... That means I need to make a decision wether to sink or swim :( 

8 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

oh no .... That means I need to make a decision wether to sink or swim :( 

Do you think it would go down well if I started a thread titled "Don't Go To The Gym"?

In all seriousness, the gym is pretty much the highest risk place.  Over time as the prevalence of COVID in the community falls, the absolute risk of going to the gym falls, but if you're in a high risk group (I.e. type 1 diabetes), then I would probably wait a good long while before going back.  Swimming seems to be different, or at least its a bit more controversial, given the chlorine helping kill the virus.  But I'm not aware of much strong data around swimming pools, I think the changing rooms are considered to be a bit risky. 

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

But I'm not aware of much strong data around swimming pools, I think the changing rooms are considered to be a bit risky. 

I think they were talking about opening the pools but not the changing rooms. You may get some comments on the bus home.