When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Just now, FestivalJamie said:

Which basically confirms all of this “wash your hands” and the hand sanitiser stations are a waste of time, as the virus is spread by airborne droplets rather than from touching surfaces.

This means the best method to prevent transmission is widespread use of masks in indoor areas, something most countries have already enforced, but something the uk still really lags behind on.

It absolutely does not confirm washing your hands is a waste of time. There's a huuuuge difference between unable to rule out one transmission vector and all others not being a factor. So it doesn't confirm anything and if it did confirm that the virus can be aerosolised, that says nothing about the risk of getting the virus via other means. 

Yes, wear a mask, but keep washing your hands!

• Upvote 4

'The insertion PRRA together with the sequentially preceding seven amino acids and succeeding Arg (fully conserved among β-coronaviruses) have been pointed out to form a motif, Y674QTQTNSPRRAR685, homologous to that of neurotoxins from Ophiophagus (cobra) and Bungarus genera, as well as neurotoxin-like regions from three RABV (rabies) strains.'

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7263503/

8 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It absolutely does not confirm washing your hands is a waste of time. There's a huuuuge difference between unable to rule out one transmission vector and all others not being a factor. So it doesn't confirm anything and if it did confirm that the virus can be aerosolised, that says nothing about the risk of getting the virus via other means. 

Yes, wear a mask, but keep washing your hands!

Sorry, yes, I worded that really badly.

What I meant to say is that the main precaution we have been advised by the government is to wash your hands for 20 seconds, but I believe in reality we should actually be taking extra precautions such as masks indoors, which is not something that has been enforced by the government in this country.

So yes, hand hygiene is still important, washing and sanitising hands, but I think extra precautions need to be taken in the way of masks, to stop airborne transmission indoors.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Waterdeep said:

'The insertion PRRA together with the sequentially preceding seven amino acids and succeeding Arg (fully conserved among β-coronaviruses) have been pointed out to form a motif, Y674QTQTNSPRRAR685, homologous to that of neurotoxins from Ophiophagus (cobra) and Bungarus genera, as well as neurotoxin-like regions from three RABV (rabies) strains.'

oh, right....

11 minutes ago, Waterdeep said:

I was just about to point that out too. 

1 hour ago, Waterdeep said:

From the article:

"A dozen patients had inflammation of the central nervous system, 10 had brain disease with delirium or psychosis, eight had strokes and a further eight had peripheral nerve problems, mostly diagnosed as Guillain-Barré syndrome, an immune reaction that attacks the nerves and causes paralysis."

My Mum was in hospital for 6 weeks with a mild-ish case of this, starting in May. It was diagnosed as GBS, which comes on after an infection apparently. Tested negative for the virus at every test she had but she'd had walking issues that got worse for weeks before going in; certainly for longer than 14 days so if it was that it was probably gone 

I do wonder if she had it and its either what the article refers to or the virus that triggered it, though none of the rest of our household has had anything noticeable...

Edited by efcfanwirral

there are going to be some vacancies coming up in supermarkets soon with the online picking still massive and hopefully the furloughed and temporary people returning to their old jobs ... one to bear in mind for anyone that might be desperate for a small amount of work ... mostly part time I would expect as full time doesn’t seem to be offered .. but they wouldn’t be temps as what was offered over the pandemic period 

6 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Blimey. That was a routing of Johnson. Starmer was tight to stay focussed on Care Homes as it’s the most pressing part of the crises in the past few days. Johnson had nothing on Care Homes, he seemed pretty uncomfortable.

5/6 Qs on it was a tad was a shade too far IMO.

2 minutes ago, Homer said:

Johnson's new lie at PMQs: that at first we didn't realise that asymptomic people could spread the virus (?!) we only found that out later

I thought that was true?  There's been confusion about this from the WHO as recently as just a few weeks ago.

2 minutes ago, Homer said:

Johnson's new lie at PMQs: that at first we didn't realise that asymptomic people could spread the virus (?!) we only found that out later

back in early March, Hancock had told the Commons that what made the coronavirus so deadly was the significant rate of transmission from asymptomatic patients

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jul/07/hollowed-out-hancock-dies-another-death-as-he-defends-the-indefensible

What is the point of most of pmqs, if no one can put forward rebuttal. I swear someone asked Boris Johnson about avoiding a homeless crisis due to renters potentially being evicted and then turned it into a answer about how to government have protested homeless people who were homeless before covid. Or did I just hear the question wrong?

Just now, ace56blaa said:

What is the point of most of pmqs, if no one can put forward rebuttal. I swear someone asked Boris Johnson about avoiding a homeless crisis due to renters potentially being evicted and then turned it into a answer about how to government have protested homeless people who were homeless before covid. Or did I just hear the question wrong?

It's purely there to make the PM look good by being able to ridicule the questions and questioners from the opposition. And also control the narrative on indefensible things.

I personally think it hurts the opposition more than quietly letting the government make it's own mistakes. It doesnt change anything, the public don't care beyond us lefty lot and it let's the government go back on their mistakes 

Is it just me or do non of Rishi measures do anything to stop businesses from using the bonuses and stuff to recoup losses but does nothing to make sure workers are getting any support from low hours. Yeah the business gets money for bringing people back, hiring people but doesn't have to extend that support to the workers, especially in hospitality etc. 

Just now, ace56blaa said:

Is it just me or do non of Rishi measures do anything to stop businesses from using the bonuses and stuff to recoup losses but does nothing to make sure workers are getting any support from low hours. Yeah the business gets money for bringing people back, hiring people but doesn't have to extend that support to the workers, especially in hospitality etc. 

The employer has to be paying £520.00+ per month for it to apply

1 minute ago, ace56blaa said:

2 minutes ago, ace56blaa said:

Well, it's an incentive to keep paying my wages for a few months, which is welcome.

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

The employer has to be paying £520.00+ per month for it to apply

520 pounds a month is nothing, for example I work in Hospitality, my job can bring me back, only paying me 520 pounds because business is low, and get a thousand bonus for it. 

I don't know if It's just cause I and lots I know work in horrid low or zero hour contracts. (why do they still exist.) and can't look elsewhere for jobs in time because there is simple less jobs, If I'm applying for jobs, I usually get interviews within weeks, since applying at the beginning of Lockdown have had nothing, so rely on going back to my zero hour contact job. But these measures aren't a incentive for jobs like mine to keep paying me wages, it's a incentive to bring all staff back on much lower hours and pay everyone less than they making before just to keep the business running in lower business when we reopen

4 minutes ago, Homer said:

Well, it's an incentive to keep paying my wages for a few months, which is welcome.

12 minutes ago, ace56blaa said:

520 pounds a month is nothing, for example I work in Hospitality, my job can bring me back, only paying me 520 pounds because business is low, and get a thousand bonus for it. 

Ah, my bad, thought this might be what you were driving at but wasn't sure. I wish you all the best!