When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

16 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

How did you find out that's what's happening?

Another forum with lots of people in this age group.

Hopefully it will be opened up to the the rest over the weekend.

The site crashed last time it opened to the 45-49’s. So maybe a softer release.

Im going to spontaneously combust when it does.  

12 minutes ago, Vulpes vulpes said:

I can't imagine these government sites are built to deal with any volume  😂

Strange moment in central London this evening, I was walking round the back of Trafalgar Square heading to get the train home when I passed couple of people in NHS hi vis going up to anyone walking past saying they had spare vaccine doses they needed to use as it was the end of the day. I readily volunteered but as soon as I said I was 28 they said it was Astra Zeneca and they weren't allowed to give it to me as I'm under 30.

I'm not massively bothered because I'd put zero effort in - they were literally offering it to anyone who happened to be walking past - but at the same time I do understand the science behind it all and would have been willing to go ahead, it seems a little odd to me that it was such a hardline no.

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Wait, what? There's a new vaccine out that's 2% more effective than what was already available?

I mean, it's good news of course, but doesn't seem "amazing", unless I'm missing something?

I'm by no means an expert, but my take is that they've been using 75% as some sort of baseline to reach before the vaccine is deemed, for want of a better term, any good, and that nothing has reached that baseline before.

3 minutes ago, waltere said:

I'm by no means an expert, but my take is that they've been using 75% as some sort of baseline to reach before the vaccine is deemed, for want of a better term, any good, and that nothing has reached that baseline before.

That’s what I thought too, but equally I’m no expert either so could be wrong. 

3 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I'm not an expert, but I did so some googling and found the only malaria vaccine in use needs four jabs and only gives 30% efficacy.

So yeah, an actual breakthrough. Such a weird way to put it in that article!

I guess when they say it’s the first one to be “over 75%” that doesn’t necessarily mean that the previous ones were just under 75%

6 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Easing restrictions a bit earlier than planned.

pretty smear cause they have fuck all cases and there’s an election in a fortnight 

Or following the data not dates which works both ways... Drakeford has pretty much been down the line but why give him any credit. Far easier to just throw those stones right?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I'm not an expert, but I did so some googling and found the only malaria vaccine in use needs four jabs and only gives 30% efficacy.

So yeah, an actual breakthrough. Such a weird way to put it in that article!

It’s an incredible achievement, I wonder what else the foundations of the COVID vaccines could be used for!?

5 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

It’s an incredible achievement, I wonder what else the foundations of the COVID vaccines could be used for!?

Oxford have a Lassa vaccine based on the same technology that looks good in pre-clinical testing, Moderna have a flu and a HIV version of theirs heading into phase 1 trials and there are a bunch of other infectious disease vaccines under development using the same approach (RSV, Zika, EBV among many others). BioNTech have always been focussed on cancer and have a selection of cancer vaccine approaches that just got a whole lot closer to trials (CureVac were the original mRNA vaccine company and they too have new ones coming for SARS-CoV2 and a few others and GSK have a rabies one they are testing)...so lots coming down the line. Basically we’ve fast forwarded 5-10 years in genetic vaccine development. Once we know the genetic sequence of any infectious agent, these approaches can be used to rapidly make a vaccine against it.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Vulpes vulpes said:

Is that a newly discovered side effect of one of the vaccines? 

Bit of a worry 🤣🤣🤣

7 hours ago, Toilet Duck said:

Oxford have a Lassa vaccine based on the same technology that looks good in pre-clinical testing, Moderna have a flu and a HIV version of theirs heading into phase 1 trials and there are a bunch of other infectious disease vaccines under development using the same approach (RSV, Zika, EBV among many others). BioNTech have always been focussed on cancer and have a selection of cancer vaccine approaches that just got a whole lot closer to trials (CureVac were the original mRNA vaccine company and they too have new ones coming for SARS-CoV2 and a few others and GSK have a rabies one they are testing)...so lots coming down the line. Basically we’ve fast forwarded 5-10 years in genetic vaccine development. Once we know the genetic sequence of any infectious agent, these approaches can be used to rapidly make a vaccine against it.

I think I remember seeing that they are looking at HIV with one of the vaccines possibly the AZ?

11 hours ago, Avalon_Fields said:

In Manchester there are now a good number of walk in centres, mainly temporary sites in supermarkets, places of worship and so on. No appointment is necessary but people still need to be in the right age group.

Fair enough! Guess you'd need to do a bit of research to find the places doing that near you. 

Have had some fun winding up my Sister (lives in Perth) about this already this morning:

Locked down on a bank hol weekend is a bit brutal for 2 cases.

I really don't see how OZ and NZ get out of this pattern?

I assume the only way in reality is to keep borders closed until everyone who can be is vaccinated?

In my sisters wods the vaccination programme is very slow and has no sense of urgency.

Think it's going to be a long old time until they open up their borders fully unfortunately.

12 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Have had some fun winding up my Sister (lives in Perth) about this already this morning:

Locked down on a bank hol weekend is a bit brutal for 2 cases.

I really don't see how OZ and NZ get out of this pattern?

I assume the only way in reality is to keep borders closed until everyone who can be is vaccinated?

In my sisters wods the vaccination programme is very slow and has no sense of urgency.

Think it's going to be a long old time until they open up their borders fully unfortunately.

I can't argue with this as I'm being getting everyone vaccined. Look on the plus side of what they have been able to do way before we have. I have friends in Queensland, NSW and Victoria who still need a masks where possible but as for getting out and about they are free. They have always been two countries very strict. They have also said there is no rush to open borders and Jacinda Arden made it clear that other countries would need to be fully vaccinated and like whatever happens with the passports before entry.

They lockdown NZ down on 150 cases.