When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, Barry Fish said:

420 for a family which will price a lot out.

I hate masks but sticking one on for a 90 seconds rollercoaster isn't all that  bad.  11 hour flight is what bothers me lol with kids 😞

Is it when I have to remove my glasses for upside down anyway. So one I have blurred vision for the ride lol and two I have to cover myself and not shout and enjoy the proper thrill of what I've paid for. Nope I'll wait. A theme park is not a necessity for me though now. A flight I agree, I won't be putting a mask on for a flight with any decent duration of time before I have to.

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

Nope it doesn't help. People will and people yesterday were actually wearing masks out in a park. It wasn't masses and just the odd one but still. For me, I'm just waiting until everyone has been vaccinated, the 3 weeks are passed and these passports are done then I can't do much else. But I won the branching out too far until because of the restrictions behind. Theme Parks can certainly wait until later on in the year, face masks on rides is not fun or happening for me.

Interesting for those who haven't read btw. For the likes of travel to Portugal, Azores and Balearics/Ibiza from later in May time, they are going to open terraces fully but inside is still closed off and each person will be required to pay for a PCR  test 72 hours before coming home to avoid quarantine at a cost of approx €120. So presuming it's only adults it's £210 extra for a holiday per two adults.

Interesting re theme parks. My last week of furlough next week, so was thinking of going to Thrope Park on Friday to go out in a blaze of glory (possibly with a hangover). It seems you don't have to wear them in the queue, so I reckon I could handle them for the short duration of the ride/s.

That would def put me off hols (though not sure I quite follow your math... s).

1 hour ago, JoeyT said:

Surely outside gigs wouldn’t have to be as anal as that though?

Risk is so small and generally being outside not as restricted with space as indoor gigs etc so people can spread out and so on.

1 hour ago, Barry Fish said:

Outside won't require anything I reckon 

Inside is the issue 

The liverpool research gig is just test before, nothing once in the event so should give us an idea of what they want. I'd be surprised to see indoor gigs this year to be honest 

Edited by efcfanwirral

4 minutes ago, Homer said:

Interesting re theme parks. My last week of furlough next week, so was thinking of going to Thrope Park on Friday to go out in a blaze of glory (possibly with a hangover). It seems you don't have to wear them in the queue, so I reckon I could handle them for the short duration of the ride/s.

I’m trying to work out the logic of not having to wear a mask in a queue but then having to put one on for the ride itself. 

In the queue although outdoors for most of them you’re more likely to be in closer contact with people from outside of your group.

For most rides you’re only sat with your group. Sometimes you can mix with others depending on party numbers. In the case of some rides your party can have the whole ride vehicle to yourselves. Makes the logic even more bizarre if the ride is fully outside. 

In the more vigorous rides, masks can easily be flung off as well if not secured properly around your ears. 

I can understand the need for staff wearing them as they will be coming into contact with 1000s of people over the day. 

17 minutes ago, Homer said:

I mean yes it's each to their own. Me personally I don't want to wear them on rides and am willing to wait. I've got two expensive months anyway and after May I wouldn't enter a theme park until after kids after back in September.

If by maths. I've just converted €120 into English of €105 doubled as parents eg. If kids could have it and needed it then no chance. I want things to be fully up and go before going abroad anyway and there is loads of places in England I have passed by due to overseas travel so it's no issue. In fact at a time when I can save money and holiday cheaper after my travels it's fine for me.

Edited by thewayiam

4 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I’m trying to work out the logic of not having to wear a mask in a queue but then having to put one on for the ride itself. 

In the queue although outdoors for most of them you’re more likely to be in closer contact with people from outside of your group.

For most rides you’re only sat with your group. Sometimes you can mix with others depending on party numbers. In the case of some rides your party can have the whole ride vehicle to yourselves. Makes the logic even more bizarre if the ride is fully outside. 

In the more vigorous rides, masks can easily be flung off as well if not secured properly around your ears. 

I can understand the need for staff wearing them as they will be coming into contact with 1000s of people over the day. 

It works fine, my mask hasn’t flown off during any coaster. The queue lines are marked out for social distancing and where the queues turn back on themselves, there are perspex dividers. 

You won’t have to wear then when your group occupies the whole ride vehicle, like on the rapids or a spinning coaster. 

On any other coaster, the row behind you will occupy your airspace a fraction of a second later. On rides coasters with rows off seats, you will not be mixed with other groups on the same rows. 

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

Get yourself some contact lenses  😄 you can shout and enjoy because you will have your muzzle on 😛

I can't wear them unfortunately. My stigmatism I believe or something like that is too much of a minus for them to do it. I basically have rugby ball shaped eyes.

22 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

The liverpool research gig is just test before, nothing once in the event so should give us an idea of what they want. I'd be surprised to see indoor gigs this year to be honest 

So many tickets being sold for indoor gigs later in the year now, some as early as June/July. Do you think the venues are all just hoping for the best but knowing it's unlikely?

Just now, Barry Fish said:

Me too.  You can have them but you would have to have hard contact lenses like me which changes the shape of your eyes vs soft which don't.

I literally can't. They ordered in a sample of the hardest they could, I'm like -6.5 and -7 in one eye...might be 7.5 even. I got a consultant referral at optimax who said the option for me was a lens specifically made for me. It's a cost of 6.5k and was to be paid over 3 years. My reaction was for £180 a month I'm getting a sense that takes them half hour for both eyes, not buying a car.

16 minutes ago, stuie said:

It works fine, my mask hasn’t flown off during any coaster. The queue lines are marked out for social distancing and where the queues turn back on themselves, there are perspex dividers. 

You won’t have to wear then when your group occupies the whole ride vehicle, like on the rapids or a spinning coaster. 

On any other coaster, the row behind you will occupy your airspace a fraction of a second later. On rides coasters with rows off seats, you will not be mixed with other groups on the same rows. 

Are the parks running at reduced capacity? I’m assuming they are sanitising hand holds etc between groups which would add to the change over time

8 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

So many tickets being sold for indoor gigs later in the year now, some as early as June/July. Do you think the venues are all just hoping for the best but knowing it's unlikely?

It's a weird one I do forget bands sell tickets in summer for indoor gigs -  Maybe they'll be ok? But I wouldn't be surprised if masks will be needed, and seating only. 

It's autumn where I worry, when viruses start spreading in general and when we saw covid spreading last year. I think it'll take very brave scientists to allow indoor mass gatherings of the type we want around that time considering this winter is such a big unknown, even with vaccines. That'll surely be the big test of the vaccines in the toughest environment and Im not sure it's such a good idea to assume all will be fine and have no restrictions leading up to that 

21 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I mean yes it's each to their own. Me personally I don't want to wear them on rides and am willing to wait. I've got two expensive months anyway and after May I wouldn't enter a theme park until after kids after back in September.

If by maths. I've just converted €120 into English of €105 doubled as parents eg. If kids could have it and needed it then no chance. I want things to be fully up and go before going abroad anyway and there is loads of places in England I have passed by due to overseas travel so it's no issue. In fact at a time when I can save money and holiday cheaper after my travels it's fine for me.

Fair enough; I wouldn't exacly be rushing to Thorpe Park particularly other than I can't think of much else to do with my last day of furlough (bar go for a walk or sit outside a pub).

Ta, me being thick and not seeing the euro sign!

2 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Are the parks running at reduced capacity? I’m assuming they are sanitising hand holds etc between groups which would add to the change over time

Yeah, they are - I just watched a vid on the Thorpe Park website. Am now wondering if this negates the whole 'I've got a day off in the week when there won't be many people there' apsect!

I'm going to an indoor gig tomorrow night (I'm in Spain and where the Covid rates are higher than the UK). For now, you have to wear a mask and it's seated-only but those two restrictions can eventually be replaced by testing.

Seems crazy to suggest there won't be any indoor gigs in the UK this year.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I kinda get it. Flying around at high speed screaming - that's going to result in a fair few droplets flying about, especially from the people in front 🤢

2 hours ago, thewayiam said:

For the likes of travel to Portugal, Azores and Balearics/Ibiza from later in May time, they are going to open terraces fully but inside is still closed off and each person will be required to pay for a PCR  test 72 hours before coming home to avoid quarantine at a cost of approx €120. So presuming it's only adults it's £210 extra for a holiday per two adults.

Where you reading that about Portugal/Azores? 

The Portuguese government release their deconfinement plans around every 2 weeks, with the latest one in effect from 19th April and terraces are indeed open to groups of 6, along with groups of 4 inside bars/restaurants.

They never plan that far ahead, the decree laws are as I said published around every fortnight.

DP-4-007.JPG-768x780.png

2 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Nope it doesn't help. People will and people yesterday were actually wearing masks out in a park. It wasn't masses and just the odd one but still. For me, I'm just waiting until everyone has been vaccinated, the 3 weeks are passed and these passports are done then I can't do much else. But I won the branching out too far until because of the restrictions behind. Theme Parks can certainly wait until later on in the year, face masks on rides is not fun or happening for me.

Interesting for those who haven't read btw. For the likes of travel to Portugal, Azores and Balearics/Ibiza from later in May time, they are going to open terraces fully but inside is still closed off and each person will be required to pay for a PCR  test 72 hours before coming home to avoid quarantine at a cost of approx €120. So presuming it's only adults it's £210 extra for a holiday per two adults.

Few inaccuracies here:

Inside in Balearics/Ibiza is not closed off.

PCR test in Iberian peninsular is not €120, it's c.€60.

23 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

It's a weird one I do forget bands sell tickets in summer for indoor gigs -  Maybe they'll be ok? But I wouldn't be surprised if masks will be needed, and seating only. 

It's autumn where I worry, when viruses start spreading in general and when we saw covid spreading last year. I think it'll take very brave scientists to allow indoor mass gatherings of the type we want around that time considering this winter is such a big unknown, even with vaccines. That'll surely be the big test of the vaccines in the toughest environment and Im not sure it's such a good idea to assume all will be fine and have no restrictions leading up to that 

Well most of the tickets being sold for post-June events that I've seen are for non socially distanced so not sure how that will work as they will be over capacity. So they'd have to cancel or reschedule again.

I don't really see why they can't go ahead in autumn once most of the population has been vaccinated. I know we have to see what happens in next few months but if link between small number of cases and hospitalisations/deaths is broken then why can't they happen?

• Upvote 1