When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

3 minutes ago, incident said:

Same for me - I most of the 15 minute wait wondering if she'd made a mistake and not pierced the skin, until eventually I felt the tiniest but of soreness.

Yeah, it was great. Was one of the volunteer vaccinators as well so was very impressed. Told her so and she was well chuffed.

Just now, efcfanwirral said:

What do you reckon to the idea of bumping those with a positive test within the past *certain period* to the back of the queue for a bit for first dose? (with those super worried able to get it if they want)? Could help move the needle in the right direction a bit

No idea on the medical side of it.

But I guess that it'd have to be a self-policed / general recommendation based kind of thing - I'm pretty sure that trying to do the Administration on that from the NHS side and categorise people to produce tailored recommendations would only slow the entire process down overall.

21 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Someone need to look at the maths and work out if, with new constraints on supply, it's more beneficial to delay second doses further to finish everyone with a first dose first.

I’d go ahead with the 2nd doses now. Covid deaths are practically unheard of among those outside groups 1-9, so I think the risk of a huge number of deaths is tiny. I’m not suggesting the one dose protection will just disappear after 12 weeks but even that’s a bigger risk than deaths among healthy 45 year olds IMO. 

12 minutes ago, SamJ said:

Super depressed by this given the govt bumped moderate asthmatics out of groups 1-9.  Even if lower /average  risk of death the data shows higher risk of long COVID.  So it’s at least another two months (May plus 3 weeks) with the kids at school being anxious and hyper vigilant every day. No seeing friends because they are all already breaking restrictions.  Just grim.

The vaccine programme isn’t designed to prevent “long covid”. 

Health Secretary Matt Hancock says data shows that after a single dose of the vaccine protection against getting Covid-19 is about 60%, protection against hospitalisation is about 80% and protection against death is about 85%.

This means nothing in real world terms to me.

In the context of say, 200,000 at Glastonbury, or 15,000 at a smaller festival, how do those figures translate into any likelihood of infection, hospitalisation or death. I can't see any way to correlate the figures intopractical comparisons.

And why does he insist on saying the vaccine will make you safe, as opposed to safer, as there is clearly still a residual risk?

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Strange effects of covid too mucuh  goat fucking.://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/mar/17/welsh-goat-population-rockets-after-covid-cancels-contraception-drive?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Your browser history must be a fucking marvellous thing to behold.

1 minute ago, Copperface said:

Health Secretary Matt Hancock says data shows that after a single dose of the vaccine protection against getting Covid-19 is about 60%, protection against hospitalisation is about 80% and protection against death is about 85%.

This means nothing in real world terms to me.

In the context of say, 200,000 at Glastonbury, or 15,000 at a smaller festival, how do those figures translate into any likelihood of infection, hospitalisation or death. I can't see any way to correlate the figures intopractical comparisons.

And why does he insist on saying the vaccine will make you safe, as opposed to safer, as there is clearly still a residual risk?

Ignoring the fact that testing was non-existent at the start and making no demographic adjustment: 

Out of a 200,000 glasto crowd:

- Roughly 13,000 have tested positive for Covid (Would be 5,200 with a vaccine)

- Around 1,350 have been hospitalised (Would be 264 with a vaccine)

- Around 375 have died (Would be 56 with a vaccine)

Not completely safe so you're right to suggest the existence of residual risk, but everything in life comes with risk.

11 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Strange effects of covid too mucuh  goat fucking.://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/mar/17/welsh-goat-population-rockets-after-covid-cancels-contraception-drive?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

You're kidding?

21 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

image.png.75040b55a4020d9a223154efbb7d9785.png

30 minutes ago, Copperface said:

I'm confused now.

I thought I read repeatedly that protection against death and serious illness was pretty much 100%?

Can anyone shed light...

Edited by xxialac

7 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I'm confused now.

I thought I read repeatedly that protection against death and serious illness was pretty much 100%?

Can anyone shed light...

That’s one dose, second dose improves it. It’s not 100% in real world use though, but it’s really excellent (80-90%+ protection from worst outcomes and much better protection from infection than we dared hope). In younger people with well functioning immune systems it’s as close to a guarantee as you could ever realistically get of not dying as a result of Covid. 

1 minute ago, Toilet Duck said:

That’s one dose, second dose improves it. It’s not 100% in real world use though, but it’s really excellent (80-90%+ protection from worst outcomes and much better protection from infection than we dared hope). In younger people with well functioning immune systems it’s as close to a guarantee as you could ever realistically get of not dying as a result of Covid. 

Phew.

Thanks for bringing light to darkness as ever!

Just did my first volunteering shift! Was actually a lot quieter than I'd hoped so was standing around a lot, trying to look useful. But nice to get out there and be a part of it! Was fine as those here were saying it would be 🙂

Also got the AZ first jab! So all in all a good day. 

• Like 9
  • Upvote 8

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Just did my first volunteering shift! Was actually a lot quieter than I'd hoped so was standing around a lot, trying to look useful. But nice to get out there and be a part of it! Was fine as those here were saying it would be 🙂

Also got the AZ first jab! So all in all a good day. 

Great news - glad you enjoyed 🙂

I also got AZ first jab on Sunday following my shift

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zahidf said:

I think post 12 weeks is pushing it. But if its over 50s and thas 99% of the deaths, i think that the current way forward is probably the best

FWIW, i still think its worth contacting your local vaccine centre to check for spares at the end of the day

How do you contact them? I looked into this but can’t find opening/closing times or contact number for vaccine centres anywhere! 

So for the maths of the vaccine, is it that one does:

Reduces the chances of contracting covid if in contact with it by 60%
If you’re in the 40%, your chances of being hospitalised is 80% less than it was before

if you’re in the 20% there, your chances of dying are reduced by roughly 85% compared to before?

So if my understanding of the maths is correct, the chances of actually dying or being hospitalised if you’ve had a vaccine and come into contact with the virus becomes remote?

19 minutes ago, tigger123 said:

How do you contact them? I looked into this but can’t find opening/closing times or contact number for vaccine centres anywhere! 

If you go on the NHS website for booking appointments, tick the box saying your a social care worker. It won't let you complete the booking but it will show you the different places around you which are giving out the vaccine.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, JB15 said:

So for the maths of the vaccine, is it that one does:

Reduces the chances of contracting covid if in contact with it by 60%
If you’re in the 40%, your chances of being hospitalised is 80% less than it was before

if you’re in the 20% there, your chances of dying are reduced by roughly 85% compared to before?

So if my understanding of the maths is correct, the chances of actually dying or being hospitalised if you’ve had a vaccine and come into contact with the virus becomes remote?

One for @Toilet Duck, but I think the 80% drop of hospitalisation is measured against a control group who've not had the vaccine as opposed to against a control group of people who tested positive without the vaccine.