When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Just now, Toilet Duck said:

A couple of beers won’t hurt. Alcohol in excess is immunosuppressive, but a few beers isn’t gonna make any odds. Side effects from the vaccine can be flu like though, so piling a hangover on top might not be much craic! Happy St. Patrick’s Day ☘️ 

oh yeah, Happy Patrick's Day to you too. Hopefully next year you'll be in the pub.

I guess the important thing will be that the key figures continue to fall, then I doubt the shortage will make a huge amount of difference to the roadmap. I do wonder if this was secretly expected though, seems convenient how almost immediately that we've got the most vulnerable vaccinated that we suddenly have a major supply issue. Possibly why it seemed so long between the roadmap stages? I see it as a blow to morale more than anything, especially for us next in line and those hoping for a return to normality in June. That may still be the case, of course, but it's definitely a blow to confidence

1 minute ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I guess the important thing will be that the key figures continue to fall, then I doubt the shortage will make a huge amount of difference to the roadmap. I do wonder if this was secretly expected though, seems convenient how almost immediately that we've got the most vulnerable vaccinated that we suddenly have a major supply issue. Possibly why it seemed so long between the roadmap stages? I see it as a blow to morale more than anything, especially for us next in line and those hoping for a return to normality in June. That may still be the case, of course, but it's definitely a blow to confidence

I don't think it's a blow but maybe a very subtle reality check? No offence meant when I say that at all.

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

oh yeah, Happy Patrick's Day to you too. Hopefully next year you'll be in the pub.

Honestly, you’d never know it was Paddy’s Day...it’s like it suddenly stopped being a thing. Normally the shops are full of leprechaun tat and all sorts of rubbish...this year, nada! 

Just now, Ozanne said:

I don't think it's a blow but maybe a very subtle reality check? No offence meant when I say that at all.

Ah mate, you don't have to write that second sentence, I appreciate you always mean well (I know there's a lot of vitriol flying about on this thread at the moment). I guess I'm just taking a slightly pessimistic view on it, the vaccination progress kept my spirits up and in fairness, I got carried away. There was always going to be bumps in the road-map

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I don't think this is really even a setback. It's just par for course with manufacturing, they'll be some delays at some stage. I don't think it'll impact the roadmap, as you say they have the 5 week buffer built in for reasons just like this.

The roadmap was always 21st June opening but all adults done first dose by 31st July (which never made any sense to me, that's another reason for my negative thoughts about how far the roadmap will go) BUT if that was on purpose this doesn't necessarily affect that, it always seemed to be media speculation about everyone being done earlier. 

Wonder if the government can speed up Novovax a bit in terms of helping them with the manufacturing? 60m this year apparently

1 minute ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Ah mate, you don't have to write that second sentence, I appreciate you always mean well (I know there's a lot of vitriol flying about on this thread at the moment). I guess I'm just taking a slightly pessimistic view on it, the vaccination progress kept my spirits up and in fairness, I got carried away. There was always going to be bumps in the road-map

yeah, got to put things in context...I never thought we would have vaccinated half the adult population by March, pretty incredible really. 

• Upvote 1

Maybe the NHS is getting prepared for a Pfizer embargo from the EU? bit vague on reasons but that could be a potential reason. 

Fwiw, i agree it wouldnt effect the current roadmap. Gives them an excuse to keep us locked into it though

Nice try by Hancock to say vaccinated people shouldnt meet up with each other

Does anybody have the figures for how many under 50s without any underlying health conditions have died of covid throughout the pandemic? 

The roadmap can surely still continue as the number of deaths and hospitalisations for those outside the 1-9 categories have been so low throughout.

4 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I know where you are coming from but try to keep those spirits up, today we hit 25m people getting a 1st dose and are just a few days away from 50% of the adult population. They are still sticking to their target of all adults having the 1st dose by the end of July too. For once I think they have built in a contingency for something like this into their plans which should mean we keep on track.

12 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Side effects from the vaccine can be flu like though, so piling a hangover on top might not be much craic! Happy St. Patrick’s Day ☘️ 

Had mine Monday evening, was Ok until about 10 am Tuesday, then within three hours was bedbound with what seemed to be a cross between sweaty manflu and a really bad hangover. Slept 14 hours then at about lunchtime today, all symptoms, apart from sore arm, suddenly dissipated. 

Q: You are playing down the impact of this letter. But why should the under-50s have to wait while you strong-arm over-50s into getting vaccinated?

Hancock says the government is committed to all over-50s getting their fist dose by 15 April.

Q: But what about the under-50s? It looks like they will have to wait an extra month?

Hancock says the government is committed to ensure all adults getting a jab by the end of July. It is still on track for that.

1 minute ago, Copperface said:

Had mine Monday evening, was Ok until about 10 am Tuesday, then within three hours was bedbound with what seemed to be a cross between sweaty manflu and a really bad hangover. Slept 14 hours then at about lunchtime today, all symptoms, apart from sore arm, suddenly dissipated. 

ugh. 

Just now, zahidf said:

Van-Tam says the timing of an inquiry is a matter for politicians. But he says, speaking personally, he would find an inquiry a distraction now.

Brexit was deemed not a problematic distraction from the worst public health crisis in a century so a (far more straightforward) enquiry shouldn't be either.