When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

14 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Now IS this what's happening for April? Or are we opportunistically blaming an expected drop in vaccines on the EU to deflect? 

This issue is apparently unrelated to the EU playing hardball. This particular issue is because of manufacturing issues in India relating to the Oxford jab.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

One for @Toilet Duck, but I think the 80% drop of hospitalisation is measured against a control group who've not had the vaccine as opposed to against a control group of people who tested positive without the vaccine.

That's pretty much how they have been defining effectiveness, 100 unvaccinated people hospitalised, 20 vaccinated people with similar characteristics hospitalised, vaccine is 80% effective at preventing hospitalisations...(it's not as clean a measure as efficacy in a randomised trial, but it is the real impact of the vaccine in practical terms when you define what outcome you want it to reduce)...Everyone's risk reduces if the vaccine suppresses transmission as there's less of it about (so the questions about how many people would end up infected at Glastonbury for example can't really be worked out simply by looking at the number of people there and the effectiveness of the vaccine, as it entirely depends on the prevalence of the virus, how many of those in attendance are vaccinated, host factors like co-morbidities, age etc and, I guess, intrinsic properties of the virus itself...as we've seen, some variants spread a bit more easily than others!). So, theoretically, the "effectiveness" of the vaccines will improve as more people are vaccinated since herd immunity contributes to the overall impact of their use. 

Was just talking to a mate in the US who had his second jab of the Pfizer vaccine on Monday (for some reason they haven't changed to a 12 week gap out there and are sticking with 3 weeks) and I'm told that the second shot of Pfizer has AWFUL side effects. 

For nearly a full 24 hours he was oscillating between having to lie under his duvet with 3 layers on, and having to drink ice cold water because his temp was 102.5F. 

He did wake up this morning feeling normal but for reference this guy is 26, has one medium risk health condition and had no side effects from the initial shot in late February.

4 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Was just talking to a mate in the US who had his second jab of the Pfizer vaccine on Monday (for some reason they haven't changed to a 12 week gap out there and are sticking with 3 weeks) and I'm told that the second shot of Pfizer has AWFUL side effects. 

For nearly a full 24 hours he was oscillating between having to lie under his duvet with 3 layers on, and having to drink ice cold water because his temp was 102.5F. 

He did wake up this morning feeling normal but for reference this guy is 26, has one medium risk health condition and had no side effects from the initial shot in late February.

I’m a similar age to your friend and I’ve also had my second Pfizer jab and I was pretty much fine. I felt tired the following day and had a temperature for a few hours but that was about it. 

Had my 1st AZ jab yesterday- arm is fine but had to go to bed this afternoon as felt completely washed out and a bit shivery - couldn’t focus on working. Feel ok now just tired ( slept for 4 hours earlier). Am feeling cautiously optimistic and planning a few things for end July/August and next year just to have something to look forward to. Just glad I have been able to work at home all through the last year, although has been lonely living on my own and am now so over MS teams meetings or trying to deliver virtual training- I need to be in a room with other people!! It’s been a weird year. 

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

The resident of Tanzania a covid skeptic has died of covid.

One thing we've learnt over the past year is that it seems covid-sceptical politicians are particularly susceptible to covid

1 minute ago, Ryan1984 said:

Crazy idea but as a journalist, maybe he could try and find out?

Peston is really one of the worst journalists, thick and happy to be manipulated shamelessly (or its possible he's so thick he's genuinely not aware when this happens) 

4 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

She's really making Person look like a right prick by providing some actual information.

Peston's given up- he's now taken to asking people on twitter to tell him what's happening :

Edited by Mr.Tease

8 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Not quite, but he had been in denial shortly before he caught it, going round shaking people's hands and all that.

Yeah that wasn’t great. I still maintain that the “blame” of the first wave falls more on the scientists who were treating it as a flu pandemic and did not advise the government to use a lockdown. To an extent it was just misfortune that we were incredibly well prepared for a pandemic... just not an airborne one.

The second wave is squarely on Boris though. The scientists told him to lock down in that instance and he baulked for weeks if not months.