When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

3 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Remember folks - savings are selfish and bad! 

I'm self employed, have zero job security or pension as I'm completely dependent on client referrals - now we're meant to empty out our savings too, to buy a load of shit we don't need, while going into a time of great economic uncertainty, brilliant! 

26 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

That sounds horrible. Is young nurses being seriously ill a new thing or has it been happening the whole time?

Second infection too...definitely some more bad news to come in the press conferences I think....

Staff of all ages have caught Covid, many very ill, even 20yos. Some have died 😭

17 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

I'm self employed, have zero job security or pension as I'm completely dependent on client referrals - now we're meant to empty out our savings too, to buy a load of shit we don't need, while going into a time of great economic uncertainty, brilliant! 

It clearly says if you have built up savings as a result of covid (which is the case for some people). Like from not commuting/ being able to go out etc.

2 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

They're going to introduce some fucked up new homeworking tax, aren't they?

It'd better not include those of us who work freelance and always worked from home before all this. It shouldn't happen at all, but it will and it probably explains why theyve fucked over the "excluded uk" people (of which I would be one if I hadn't managed to keep work coming in) 

7 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

What's phase 1 again? I make it roughly 54m in 9 months, so that's all adults isn't it?

25 million adults over 50, see below plus your 54 million is two doses so need to half that figure.

vax.png

_115785023_who_gets_covid_vaccines_first_640x2-nc-3.png

Edited by Copperface

I've heard a few people recently say they expect a bit of an economic boom next year from the spring/summer onwards, especially in the hospitality sector. There are many who have saved up lots of money who will want to go out and have some fun. There will also be many who have struggled, those already on low pay either on furlough or out of work or whatever. A K shaped recovery.

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

With most folk at home for Xmas now can I recommend getting out for a walk, or run if you are so inclined, as often as possible? After retiring just before all this shit storm started I quickly realised I had to get out the house rather than vegetate in front of the telly munching biscuits. Ignore the weather, just get the docs on, wooly hats and waterproofs. Whether it’s in an urban or country area just enjoy the daylight hours. Earbuds in and listen to your fav tunes, transport yourself back to The farm! You will quickly eat up the miles. 

And if you're my age go to the bog before you go out😉

Just been down to the beach for a walk. Obviously everyone else in Portsmouth had the same idea as it's the only thing we're allowed to do now 😅

2 minutes ago, Copperface said:

25 million adults over 50, see below

_115785023_who_gets_covid_vaccines_first_640x2-nc-3.png

There’s almost enough Pfizer vaccine due next year to complete phase 1 (40m doses I think), but that would take most of the year to supply (Moderna would more or less cover the rest, but unlikely to be available til Easter). Approval of the Oxford vaccine shifts the timeframe to completion significantly though. As it happens, I was talking to one of the leads on the Oxford team during the week. Didn’t ask him outright when they expected approval as it would have been unprofessional (we were talking about something else, and anyway, it’s not his decision!) but they are very happy with where they are. When that’s available, no reason to think Phase 1 can’t be completed well before summer...Through summer and into autumn, it should be a drive to get lower risk individuals vaccinated before winter.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

With most folk at home for Xmas now can I recommend getting out for a walk, or run if you are so inclined, as often as possible? After retiring just before all this shit storm started I quickly realised I had to get out the house rather than vegetate in front of the telly munching biscuits. Ignore the weather, just get the docs on, wooly hats and waterproofs. Whether it’s in an urban or country area just enjoy the daylight hours. Earbuds in and listen to your fav tunes, transport yourself back to The farm! You will quickly eat up the miles. 

And if you're my age go to the bog before you go out😉

^^ this 

Hardest part is actually getting off your arse and putting your clobber on, but once out there's nothing better, both mentally and physically; daylight exposure takes effort in these shite times but is worth it. After tomorrow the days start to get longer 😎

7 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

There’s almost enough Pfizer vaccine due next year to complete phase 1 (40m doses I think), but that would take most of the year to supply (Moderna would more or less cover the rest, but unlikely to be available til Easter). Approval of the Oxford vaccine shifts the timeframe to completion significantly though. As it happens, I was talking to one of the leads on the Oxford team during the week. Didn’t ask him outright when they expected approval as it would have been unprofessional (we were talking about something else, and anyway, it’s not his decision!) but they are very happy with where they are. When that’s available, no reason to think Phase 1 can’t be completed well before summer...Through summer and into autumn, it should be a drive to get lower risk individuals vaccinated before winter.

Oxford/AZ is the critical element in terms of production capacity and ease of use/deployment to accelerate delivery.

But NHS targets themselves state they are going for one million per week and even if you double that to two million, and with a fair wind, no disruptions, constant supply and totally seamless deployment you are still looking at mid summer before completion of phase 1, and that is taking January as a launch point.

Edited by Copperface

Just now, Copperface said:

Oxford/AZ is the critical element in terms of production capacity and ease of use/deployment to accelerate delivery.

But NHS targets themselves state they are going for one million per week and even if you double that to two million, and with a fair wind, no disruptions, constant supply and totally seamless deployment you are still looking at mid summer before completion of phase 1.

If the one dose gives protection against severe disease before the second dose, then it will impact on deaths/hospitalizations anyway.  UK govt aren't looking to eliminate the disease. Just make it like another flu

12 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Ah cool. The telegraph said they were submitting more evidence on Monday. If that's on the half dose/full dose vaccine to be used, then even better.

May be more than 40 million Pfizer vaccines as well!

1 minute ago, Copperface said:

But NHS targets themselves state they are going for one million per week and even if you double that to two million, and with a fair wind, no disruptions, constant supply and totally seamless deployment you are still looking at mid summer before completion of phase 1.

But the Oxford vaccine won’t only be administered by the NHS surely? No issue using community pharmacists, higher education institutions and a whole lot more to roll that one out.