When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

17 hours ago, Ozanne said:

From my understanding the Christmas relaxation is only for that day therefore overnight stays aren’t allowed. 

I guess you could drive down the evening of the 24th, arrive at midnight then stay. Technically in the rules.

14 hours ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Rightly or wrongly I don’t reckon avoiding spreading to randomers is a key priority to a lot of people. 

But isn’t on most cases avoiding spreading it the same as avoiding catching it? If I’m in a position where I might spread it to someone, I’m probably in a position where they might spread it to me.

4 hours ago, Billy Corgan's Ego said:

Do you still that everybody leaving last night 'was the right thing to do?'

People travelling last night we’re trying to do the “right” thing. It was clear the trains would be busy but it was still legal. They were putting themselves at risk and their families in order to follow the law.

The selfish thing to do would be to create a reason you were allowed to travel (I’m a decorator here is paint and brush, I’m going to a job somewhere) then travel today or tomorrow when the trains will be much much quieter and you and your family much much safer.

The rules should have come into effect immediately, not at midnight. People were purposefully given an eight hour window to get out and took it. I can’t blame them for that at all.

9 minutes ago, Copperface said:

And just in case anyone was getting too optimistic.

Jim McManus, the director of public health for Hertfordshire, said a "six month plan" for social distancing rules was needed.

Mr McManus, also the vice-president Association of Directors of Public Health, said a level of social distancing restrictions should be imposed longer term.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-55384753

Tory mps kicking off over tier 4 as it is. Once the vaccinations happen the restrictions are probably going to be off 

3 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I guess you could drive down the evening of the 24th, arrive at midnight then stay. Technically in the rules.

But isn’t on most cases avoiding spreading it the same as avoiding catching it? If I’m in a position where I might spread it to someone, I’m probably in a position where they might spread it to me.

People travelling last night we’re trying to do the “right” thing. It was clear the trains would be busy but it was still legal. They were putting themselves at risk and their families in order to follow the law.

The selfish thing to do would be to create a reason you were allowed to travel (I’m a decorator here is paint and brush, I’m going to a job somewhere) then travel today or tomorrow when the trains will be much much quieter and you and your family much much safer.

The rules should have come into effect immediately, not at midnight. People were purposefully given an eight hour window to get out and took it. I can’t blame them for that at all.

Without getting into the morality of it, travelling last night to your Christmas bubble was still against the rules anyway as far as I understand it (the timeframe was 23rd to 27th). So if you're happy to break those rules you may as well have broken them tomorrow or Monday for example. Or is this a rules vs law thing again?

3 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Without getting into the morality of it, travelling last night to your Christmas bubble was still against the rules anyway as far as I understand it (the timeframe was 23rd to 27th). So if you're happy to break those rules you may as well have broken them tomorrow or Monday for example. Or is this a rules vs law thing again?

The actual journey wasn’t the illegal part yesterday, but attending a household gathering at the other end was illegal. But technically you could just jump on a train to Leeds to go for a walk there or something. You can’t get on that train now. 

8 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Plenty of us aren’t afraid of catching it 

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

Tory mps kicking off over tier 4 as it is. Once the vaccinations happen the restrictions are probably going to be off 

As we have always said.

That will not be, despite confident but erroneous assertions of 110,000  vaccinations per week at Ashton Gate (🤪),  until halfway through the summer even for the first phase, even if it goes well.

3 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

The actual journey wasn’t the illegal part yesterday, but attending a household gathering at the other end was illegal. But technically you could just jump on a train to Leeds to go for a walk there or something. You can’t get on that train now. 

Yeah that's what I meant, the bit at the other end. Doubt many people were staying in a hotel until Wednesday. So basically in trying to cut the bubble down to one day they've extended it by several! 

11 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Plenty of us aren’t afraid of catching it 

“I know this steak doesn't exist. I know that when I put it in my mouth, the Matrix is telling my brain that it is juicy and delicious. After nine years, you know what I realize? Ignorance is bliss.”

With most folk at home for Xmas now can I recommend getting out for a walk, or run if you are so inclined, as often as possible? After retiring just before all this shit storm started I quickly realised I had to get out the house rather than vegetate in front of the telly munching biscuits. Ignore the weather, just get the docs on, wooly hats and waterproofs. Whether it’s in an urban or country area just enjoy the daylight hours. Earbuds in and listen to your fav tunes, transport yourself back to The farm! You will quickly eat up the miles. 

And if you're my age go to the bog before you go out😉

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lycra said:

Hospital repeatedly dipping into divert, 3 young nurses seriously ill with their second confirmed covid infection, staff exhausted, surrounded by death...........Want a job!!!

That sounds horrible. Is young nurses being seriously ill a new thing or has it been happening the whole time?

Second infection too...definitely some more bad news to come in the press conferences I think....

27 minutes ago, Copperface said:

As we have always said.

That will not be, despite confident but erroneous assertions of 110,000  vaccinations per week at Ashton Gate (🤪),  until halfway through the summer even for the first phase, even if it goes well.

Hmmmm. Lets see but 200k a day from Jan should have enough of an impact by easter 

26 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yeah that's what I meant, the bit at the other end. Doubt many people were staying in a hotel until Wednesday. So basically in trying to cut the bubble down to one day they've extended it by several! 

No doubt that’s the case for some but there are also people who would be in bubbles with a single parent or vice versa.

There are also exemptions for “moving home” - I can see some people literally deciding to move back in with parents for a few months if they have the space rather than be stuck in tier 4 London for no reason.