The Weather Thread 2019

sedra

21 minutes ago, briddj said:

Has it even rained there?! 

I just read they had a bloody tornado! .....& they are following on from a run of awful weather which has left Download a washout! How are those bastards escaping - this is very very bad double jinx news indeed!

31 minutes ago, amfy said:

Everything is fine - Glastonbury weather I always opposite to IOW weather.

Everytime Glastonbury weather has been shit I have looked back & hated those smug IOW bastards in their jaunty straw trilbies, & every time Glastonbury has been glorious I have looked back sympathetically on the poor bastards being towed out of the mire a few weeks earlier.

can’t argue with facts!

It’s been lovely here all day. Warm and sunny. 

1 hour ago, briddj said:

"Good news is EC mean continues to push the jet further north in time... "

Sounds a positive development to me.

Hold on... Is the jet stream something in the sky/atmosphere etc.? I always thought it was to do with water currents. 

The weather thread is truly educational. 

13 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I genuinely don't get J1's format this year. He starts with a generic outlook for the whole country, which seems to be a cut+paste job from somewhere else, followed by a few GFS charts and truncated analysis.

He used to include ECM as well as GFS and give much more analysis, without that weird general outlook at the start.

Have the proper Glastonbury forecasts started yet, or is this how they're structured now?

My late auntie Fanny's seaweed is a better indicator of the weather for the Glastonbury week.

In case you're interested, it's  a little clammy.

Edited by Ommadawn

5 hours ago, rosieangel said:

I just wanted to play with the big kids ?

Aaaah sorry, I was just teasing....but the first rule of the weather thread is, don't stick if it's rubbish!

And the second rule of the weather thread is.... Obviously the same, like in fight club ?

Edited by Sasperella

No a great 00Z GFS at 6am.

Bit of rain in the middle of next week, and a little on Friday, but not much. Temps 20-22 on Tues and Weds so lovely drying conditions.

Still showing quite a bit of cooling Friday through to Sunday, and this looks like it may happen now.

Now we go into the realms of fantasy, where other models suggest the jet stream will move north and allow high pressure in.

But GFS says we could see quite a bit of rain on Sunday and Monday.

Temps then pick up on Monday to 19-20, but then cool right off. Then no rain of any note until some overnight going into Friday.

However, the GFS is bad again at this point with highs of 13 on Thursday, 14 on Friday, 16 on Saturday and Sunday. Quite a bit during the day/evening and more over the weekend - but again the three festival days are way too far out for confidence.

BUT the  Netweather geeks had more confidence last night in other models and the pattens they bring.

"18z hmm looks like we are turning a corner. The heat northern europe /Russia had is finally giving way..  good sign"

18 minutes ago, briddj said:

No a great 00Z GFS at 6am.

Bit of rain in the middle of next week, and a little on Friday, but not much. Temps 20-22 on Tues and Weds so lovely drying conditions.

Still showing quite a bit of cooling Friday through to Sunday, and this looks like it may happen now.

Now we go into the realms of fantasy, where other models suggest the jet stream will move north and allow high pressure in.

But GFS says we could see quite a bit of rain on Sunday and Monday.

Temps then pick up on Monday to 19-20, but then cool right off. Then no rain of any note until some overnight going into Friday.

However, the GFS is bad again at this point with highs of 13 on Thursday, 14 on Friday, 16 on Saturday and Sunday. Quite a bit during the day/evening and more over the weekend - but again the three festival days are way too far out for confidence.

BUT the  Netweather geeks had more confidence last night in other models and the pattens they bring.

"18z hmm looks like we are turning a corner. The heat northern europe /Russia had is finally giving way..  good sign"

In short... they dont know

Absolutely beautiful weather today outside Nottingham. 5 straight days of rain has dried up after 12 hours. Id argue at this point, the weather can do what it likes until next weekend as long as we get a day or two of this weather before the gates open.

Edited by jparx

10 minutes ago, jparx said:

Absolutely beautiful weather today outside Nottingham. 5 straight days of rain has dried up after 12 hours. Id argue at this point, the weather can do what it likes until next weekend as long as we get a day or two of this weather before the gates open.

But generally bag of shite in West Country overnight and this morning