2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

3 minutes ago, StupidDream said:

Their main appeal right now seems the relative scarcity of gigs in recent years?

Yeah. Their main appeal was that they dressed all cool and were from New York. If they were from Barnsley no one would've given a shit. 

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

They were bleak times.

Ooh ooh and the Eminem one with Stan on it when people thought they were cool hip hop fans because they knew the words to the shouty bit at the end. 

Edited by The Nal

4 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Yeah. Their main appeal was that they dressed all cool and were from New York. If they were from Barnsley no one would've given a shit. 

Ooh ooh and the Eminem one with Stan on it when people thought they were cool hip hop fans because they knew the words to the shouty bit at the end. 

When you look at all the shit that was out there at the turn of the millennium - Dido, Toploader, nu-Metal, David Grey, Starsailor... it's no wonder The Strokes became so popular. There was literally fuck all else.

1 hour ago, JoBalls said:

But the difference is that Kasabian have quite a lot of big tunes. The Strokes would have to play Last Nite on repeat for two hours... ?

Staggering opinion that, possibly the most bizarre I've seen on here since The Strokes rumour kicked off

It's one thing not to like them but to claim they have one single, that's laughable

Just now, Homer said:

If people want to wilfully ignore this kind of stuff then it's their loss I guess!

I have long maintained on these pages that Juicebox is an absolute banger and their best effort by a mile. I like The Strokes, always have done, I just don't think they should be headlining Glastonbury in 2019.

26 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I'd say it's mostly within a limited age group.

The age group thing is a fair point. I think one of the reasons I love them so much is when I first started going out properly to bars and more importantly 'indie clubs', a handful of their tunes were played every night guaranteed. 12:51, Reptilia, Juicebox but to a name a few, it was part of that era. They're songs that will stay with me forever

6 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I have long maintained on these pages that Juicebox is an absolute banger and their best effort by a mile. I like The Strokes, always have done, I just don't think they should be headlining Glastonbury in 2019.

That's fair enough - I'm just not convinced that they're total shit. If they do headline, I'll def go see them though (prob need to get a ticket first).

8 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Really I don’t think bands that peaked so long ago should be headlining Glastonbury either. Its forte used to be holding up a mirror to what’s current... but it isn’t anymore and the alternative is the fucking Red Hot Chili Peppers so getting The Strokes is a good result in my book.

Even Lady Gaga was yesterday’s news a few months ago. Now we’re looking for her to come over during her Vegas residency (think about that; a Vegas residency...) to play.

6 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Really I don’t think bands that peaked so long ago should be headlining Glastonbury either. Its forte used to be holding up a mirror to what’s current... but it isn’t anymore and the alternative is the fucking Red Hot Chili Peppers so getting The Strokes is a good result in my book.

Even Lady Gaga was yesterday’s news a few months ago. Now we’re looking for her to come over during her Vegas residency (think about that; a Vegas residency...) to play.

Not sure current bands have really headlined the Pyramid that often - it's not really what it's for. Coldplay and Momford and Sons maybe? In that they did it after v few albums. Hardly the cutting edge though. Oasis the first time too.

Even when I started in the mid-90s it was stuff like Peter Gabriel.

9 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Im shocked they are even under consideration as Pyramid headliners tbh. 

Here are the NHS guidelines, I hope there is someone to hand to care for you:

• Lay the Person Down, if Possible. Elevate the person's feet about 12 inches unless head, neck, or back is injured or you suspect broken hip or leg bones. ...
  • Begin CPR, if Necessary. If the person is not breathing or breathing seems dangerously weak: ...
  • Treat Obvious Injuries.
  • Keep Person Warm and Comfortable. ...
  • Follow Up.
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Whilst I'm not comparing the Stokes to the Stones, did you feel that way in 2013? Or is it just that this years are not that good?

2 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Whilst I'm not comparing the Stokes to the Stones, did you feel that way in 2013? Or is it just that this years are not that good?

The stupid thing is that I actually like The Strokes and The Cure - and I haven't got a f@cking ticket!!!

39 minutes ago, Homer said:

If people want to wilfully ignore this kind of stuff then it's their loss I guess!

37 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

28 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Christ that Juicebox song is annoying.

I prefer the original

• Upvote 1