2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I know what you mean. I felt similar before The Who in 2015. I knew Daltrey's voice was shot but it was The fucking Who. I decided that the best course of action was to get myself to a certain medicated state and enjoy it for what it was in the moment. Mind you, when I watched the footage later on that week it was teeth-gnashingly bad. I'm sure McCartney will be the same but it's Paul fucking McCartney. Although I do appreciate that the very same statement is the exact reason that some people will be elsewhere.

Someone time stamped the tunes, so click through.

I Turned it off at 1985, but listened to Let it be, I felt as sorry as I can for a multi millionaire who has enjoyed his life.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop
  • Upvote 1

Don't GET The 1975.. Might have to give them a better listen... 

Don't think alot about wolf alice new album nor pete Dohertys.. But enjoyed London grammar... 

We get to listen to an album on the way to the hospital so getting through a few lol. 

On 9/23/2018 at 1:13 PM, FloorFiller said:

Highly doubt they'd have both of them in the same high spots in one year, so I'm just gonna assume it'll be Liam due to his new found solo success rather than Noel who has dropped off somewhat.

while I've no doubt that Liam will be in a higher position than last time, I don't think he'll be subbing the Pyramid.

3rd Pyramid or Other sub is about as big as he can hope for IMO. i just don't think he has the "depth" for acts that have recently been booked in that slot.

could see Noel & HFB subbing the Pyramid though, enough solo hits and a few Oasis covers, and as big as plenty of other recent subs. don't think Noel has necessarily dropped off, but he's certainly plateaued.

I don't know how left field this suggestion is but would love to see PJ Harvey given a chance to headline, perhaps Fri night for example. She's got a great back catalogue and she's still making new music altho not sure if she's planning on producing an entire new album. I know she's prob not big compared to Macca or AM, but she's certainly spice it up a bit. Her shows are incredible too

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

I don't know how left field this suggestion is but would love to see PJ Harvey given a chance to headline, perhaps Fri night for example. She's got a great back catalogue and she's still making new music altho not sure if she's planning on producing an entire new album. I know she's prob not big compared to Macca or AM, but she's certainly spice it up a bit. Her shows are incredible too

Considering the festival didn't think she was up to headlining the Other stage in 2016, I'd say that's incredibly unlikely.

5 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Considering the festival didn't think she was up to headlining the Other stage in 2016, I'd say that's incredibly unlikely.

Ah I didn't go in 2016, so didn't know that. Shame really. I've seen her twice now and can't help feel she'd do a decent job. Perhaps a sub for AM then or the Cure.

BTW why are those 3 backed so much in the last few pages? Including Macca with that*

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON
Clarified Mccartney as the third rumour

Just now, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Ah I didn't go in 2016, so didn't know that. Shame really. I've seen her twice now and can't help feel she'd do a decent job. Perhaps a sub for AM then or the Cure.

BTW why are those 3 backed so much in the last few pages?

She was good and could have easily headlined the stage. I don't think Pyramid headline was ever a goer, but they should have had her headlining Other.

Then again, LCD who actually headlined that stage were miles better.

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

She was good and could have easily headlined the stage. I don't think Pyramid headline was ever a goer, but they should have had her headlining Other.

Then again, LCD who actually headlined that stage were miles better.

I dunno about that. She got a pretty small/dead crowd subbing Other (though clashing her with Beck will surely have contributed to that).

Before she was confirmed for Other I'd have said she'd be 3rd Pyramid or JP/Park headliner. Those slots + Other sub seemed right for her, size-wise, but I just didn't think the was that suitable for Other. Subbing LCD worked nicely, though, of course.

8 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

BTW why are those 3 backed so much in the last few pages? Including Macca with that*

Different sources giving Neil bits of info that suggest each of them, Cure and McCartney have got surrounding tour dates as well

2 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Definitely remember waiting to see if he'd manage his scream on Won't Get Fooled Again and it was a passable wallop at it.

I’m not sure if the scream is live; I’ve heard to the contrary, however I don’t care if so - it’s still great theatre. McCartney’s voice, like Daltrey’s, Plant’s etc, has changed and at times he sounds his age, however I can’t imagine not going to see him because his voice isn’t what it was. It’s still one of the greatest shows out there.

11 hours ago, Mouseboy11 said:

To be honest most Glastonbury headliners, especially recent ones anyway are about as safe as they come. The festival really isn’t as into taking risks with its headliners as people like to believe.

Kanye was the last risky one I suppose and look how that turned out.

agreed.

they had The Who cancel their own gig FFS rather than bump up Florence until they were forced to because of Dave Grohl's clumsiness, despite Emily making noises about female acts etc.

Kanye/Adele/Sheeran are megastars.

Mumford/Arcade Fire/Kasabian were all big at the time.

there hasn't been a genuine risk in a long time. even bumping up FATM initially wouldn't have been much of a risk really.

15 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

agreed.

they had The Who cancel their own gig FFS rather than bump up Florence until they were forced to because of Dave Grohl's clumsiness, despite Emily making noises about female acts etc.

there hasn't been a genuine risk in a long time. even bumping up FATM initially wouldn't have been much of a risk really.

Yeah until the first poster was released I was convinced Flo was gonna be the third headliner anyway. Wouldn't have been a risk at all and it was pretty lame that they didn't give her the slot.

I mean, fair enough, if they thought they were gonna get Foos/Kanye/Prince then they're not gonna pass any of them up (Foos are a boring headliner but given they'd never headlined Glasto you couldn't fault it as a booking - and the other two speak for themselves). But, assuming she was able and willing, giving the Sunday spot to The Who instead of Flo when it became apparent they couldn't secure Prince was shite.

1 hour ago, ghostdancer1 said:

agreed.

You can't blame them....a lot of people if they decided they didn't like enough of the headliners would probably not pay their balance and pull out. The fest can't afford not to have a sellout.

15 hours ago, Yokel Again said:

My preference would be to bump up rather than same acts every couple of years...

I can remember Coldplay headlining after 1 record, Travis after 2? 

Bump Wolf Alice up!

Not sure about Wolf Alice, but I definitely agree with the sentiment. It would be god to see an act get the bump up to headliner because of the quality of their live performance rather than the number of streams they've had, or because of the size of their presence on social media.

The only example of this I have personal experience of was Gogol Bordello headlining Bestival in 2006, they were still relatively unknown in the British mainstream, but they were (and possibly still are) an amazing live act. It would be nice if Glasto could do the same for some lesser known, acts

5 minutes ago, morph100 said:

Anyone think the cure could sub pyramid or headline other? Or are they purely pyramid headliner or not appearing?

I'd say they're purely Pyramid headliner. I know, the double-time slot at Bestival seems to bill them lower, and there is precedence for BST-booked headline acts appearing elsewhere at Glastonbury - but they're typically the acts we'd associate with the Legend slot, a la Paul Simon or Lionel Richie.

Given that I think the reception to booking The Cure in the Sunday afternoon would be rather strong, shall we say, I'd say it's atop the Pyramid or bust.

21 minutes ago, morph100 said:

Anyone think the cure could sub pyramid or headline other? Or are they purely pyramid headliner or not appearing?

I reckon headliner only, because they won't do less. Bob Smith's tweet also said 'headlining' festivals.

But I do think they'd be better suited to the Other Stage with Glastonbury's audience which won't be hardcore Cure fans.

20 minutes ago, morph100 said:

It's a question of why would they agree to play anywhere else. They would headline any other festival so it's a cert that if they play then they would headline. 

It's always been a bit strange with The Cure though as they aren't precious about what festivals they play. They will often headline the small/medium festivals as well as the large ones so it's hard to judge how big they are.

How quick they sold out BST and with Glastonbury often having acts from BST would also suggest they would headline.