2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

I'm all for handing a headline slot to someone who has never topped the bill before, but at the same time, I'm not going to knock it if they pick three artists who've headlined before, with two of them removed from their prior slots by a decade and a half.

I was nine when Macca headlined in 04 and don't think I even knew what a music festival was back then, let alone Glastonbury.

On that point too, how many "proper" shows have Paul McCartney and The Cure done in the UK since 2004? Take away the intimate one-offs and charity gigs, and I'd wager it's rather small. I think there's still an element of rarity to booking them, even if they are both former headliners.

29 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Well they should make sure a certain percentage of tickets go to certain sections of society if that's how they feel. They should also cater more for their tastes. Only Glastonbury can resolve the issue of lack of diversity in regards to the festival.

That's literally what we're all saying they should do. Then you replied saying 95% of the audience are white and they don't want to change it so we shouldn't be complaining about it.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, strummer77 said:

Is that a given though? Blur in 2009 seems to be many people's favourite ever and wasn't their first. 

I think there was a certain nostalgia about that show though. Wasn't it their first Glastonbury appearance for 11 years? Add the excitement of the band reforming, a fantastic back catalogue of well-known tunes (arguably more than The Cure) and playing to a whole new generation of fans not old enough to have seen them first time round it made for something a little more unique. I think their announcement was generally well-received and that excitement was totally justified as it was the most incredible night in that field, certainly for me at least and I'm just a casual fan. I'll put money on the fact that you won't get the same atmosphere if Arctic Monkeys or The Cure are announced as headliners.

2 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I think there was a certain nostalgia about that show though. Wasn't it their first Glastonbury appearance for 11 years? Add the excitement of the band reforming, a fantastic back catalogue of well-known tunes (arguably more than The Cure) and playing to a whole new generation of fans not old enough to have seen them first time round it made for something a little more unique. I think their announcement was generally well-received and that excitement was totally justified as it was the most incredible night in that field, certainly for me at least and I'm just a casual fan. I'll put money on the fact that you won't get the same atmosphere if Arctic Monkeys or The Cure are announced as headliners.

True but surely if Macca is one, that could have a similar effect? Almost certainly his last Glastonbury, potential triumphant return, lots of festival goers who won't have seen him at all, let alone at Glastonbury. 

Guess Glasto has to abandon to whole white-men-with-guitars-thing in the coming years? Or will the next ten-twenty years of headliners consist of recurring acts and 50+-years musicians. (Sadly, guitar music seems to be dying and not many seem to be growing towards absolute headline status?) Not exactly the kind that will rejuvinate your ageing audience? Or does the entirety of the festival appeal enough and should we all ignore the headliners? If that would be the case, you could save some money and/or put down a different set of headliners. So I guess we indeed will gradually see some Stormzy et al. the coming years. 

3 minutes ago, strummer77 said:

True but surely if Macca is one, that could have a similar effect? Almost certainly his last Glastonbury, potential triumphant return, lots of festival goers who won't have seen him at all, let alone at Glastonbury. 

Totally agree. I've never seen McCartney, he last played just before I started attending and I've never been such a fan that I'd go to one of his own shows so Glastonbury would present my last opportunity to see him. I'd certainly be there if he was booked.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, strummer77 said:

Repeats can still be great gigs, obviously, or else that would be the first thing people were annoyed about.  All repetition just seems a bit too unadventurous. Even when the bosses talk about future festival, they big up booking acts that have never headlined before.

16 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

That's literally what we're all saying they should do. Then you replied saying 95% of the audience are white and they don't want to change it so we shouldn't be complaining about it.

I am not saying don't complain about it. Where have I said that? For years on this very site I have complained about the lack of diversity in regards to the crowd at Glastonbury.

Have also tweeted the festival and Emily in years gone past.

My own personal opinion is I don't think they want to change it. I think they are quite happy with the way things are.

• Downvote 1

Macca will be a moment to behold. It's edging towards now or never again territory for him with his age

Personally I was too young in 2004 to be there but it looked unreal on TV. Whenever I've tried to get tickets for his gigs it's nearly as bad as Glastonbury, certainly the last few times anyway. 

3 minutes ago, mufcok said:

Macca will be a moment to behold. It's edging towards now or never again territory for him with his age

Personally I was too young in 2004 to be there but it looked unreal on TV. Whenever I've tried to get tickets for his gigs it's nearly as bad as Glastonbury, certainly the last few times anyway. 

That's how I feel. First went in 2007 aged 16, never got a ticket to his gigs because of price, availability etc despite being a huge Beatles fan. Would be a huge moment for me and others I know who go

5 minutes ago, eastynh said:

My own personal opinion is I don't think they want to change it. I think they are quite happy with the way things are.

I would say they're definitely trying to improve it - The idea that they're deliberately trying to keep the attendees "white" and not "like parklife" sounds a little bit tinfoil hat to be honest.

Whether they're having any success at actually improving diversity, or if they could be doing more, is a different point altogether.

4 minutes ago, FrancisH said:

Whether they're having any success at actually improving diversity, or if they could be doing more, is a different point altogether.

I think adding rappers to the ranks of headliners is more of a comment on how rap is more acceptable among middle-classes than pushing the festival to the working-class. There are other, more substantial factors that are pushing the festival more towards middle-class crowds.

I think any band headlining three times in 12 years is too much. That’s basically once per album cycle.

personally I think they need to get out of the habit of booking certain bands solely based off a new album release and give more younger acts a chance. A new album shouldn’t be reason alone to headline Glastonbury, especially when you’ve already done it twice. It has Muse in 2016 written all over it, albeit not quite as bad given Muse had already toured that record to death.

Can’t really blame them but it’s a painfully safe booking. 

Edited by jparx

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I think adding rappers to the ranks of headliners is more of a comment on how rap is more acceptable among middle-classes than pushing the festival to the working-class. There are other, more substantial factors that are pushing the festival more towards middle-class crowds.

Their hands are a bit tied in regards to location and accessiblity - and, to an extent, price of the tickets.  But one thing they can control is what's on offer entertainment-wise and every little bit helps in that regard. The Earache Records stage and The Sisterhood venue, for example.

I actually think Worthy View helps make it more accessible than it would have been 15 years ago.

28 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I’m inclined to agree with you, adding rappers won’t really diversify the lineup when rap is so popular amongst the white middle class now anyway.

They could maybe push the night life areas more if they wanted to attract a more diverse crowd. The House, Techno and Drum and Bass scenes seem to be much more multi-cultural and are shifting tickets for fun these days. Glastonbury definitely offers plenty of music on this front but it’s arguably less publicised

Edited by Mouseboy11

21 minutes ago, jparx said:

I think any band headlining three times in 12 years is too much. That’s basically once per album cycle.

personally I think they need to get out of the habit of booking certain bands solely based off a new album release and give more younger acts a chance. A new album shouldn’t be reason alone to headline Glastonbury, especially when you’ve already done it twice. It has Muse in 2016 written all over it, albeit not quite as bad given Muse had already toured that record to death.

Can’t really blame them but it’s a painfully safe booking. 

It's exactly the same, isn't it, other than the fact Muse had done an English festival rather than a Scottish one? In fact I'd wager there were more Glasto attendees at Arctic Monkeys' TRNSMT gig than there were at Download when Muse played.

Muse: Released Drones in June 2015, headlined Download as part of a European festival run, did a big arena tour, headlined Glastonbury 2016

Arctic Monkeys: Released TBHC in May 2018, headlined TRNSMT as part of a European festival run, did a big arena tour, headlining Glastonbury 2019(?).

It's a better booking because Arctic Monkeys haven't turned into a parody of themselves and are still releasing decent music, but in terms of how much the album has been toured it's no different.

45 minutes ago, eastynh said:

I am not saying don't complain about it. Where have I said that? For years on this very site I have complained about the lack of diversity in regards to the crowd at Glastonbury.

Have also tweeted the festival and Emily in years gone past.

Fair enough you didn't say we shouldn't do it, but it's a bit odd that we were saying Glasto should diversify the lineup, you then said that's ironic because 95% of the attendees are white and they don't want to change that, and then said Glasto should cater more to the tastes of a diverse audience, which is literally what we were saying to begin with.

9 minutes ago, Mouseboy11 said:

I’m inclined to agree with you, adding rappers won’t really diversify the lineup when rap is so popular amongst the white middle class now anyway.

It sends a signal though.  If they booked, say, Drake, Rihanna and Stormzy to headline then it's a clear indication that its no longer the era of The Noel Gallagher Gammons With Guitars Guarantee.

3 hours ago, Doug85 said:

Probably because it wasn't that long since they last headlined (one of the reasons why Coldplay and Muse got the same reaction) however it's probably also because the new album is utter dross. 

Yet coming off superb live. There were tracks I wasn't a fan of off the album at all, until I heard them in their set a few weeks back. It was actually one of the best performances I've seen of theirs after seeing them 10 times. They've hit a new level and they'd go down a storm again at GF if it's them.

I agree it's relatively soon since their 2013 selection, but they've brought out two albums since and are the biggest act on earth. There aren't many acts of this size going.

Edited by Stokesy10

2 minutes ago, Stokesy10 said:

Yet coming off superb live. There were tracks I wasn't a fan of off the album at all, until I heard them in their set a few weeks back. It was actually one of the best performances I've seen of theirs after seeing them 10 times. They've hit a new level and they'd go down a storm again at GF if it's them.

I agree it's relatively soon since their 2013 selection, but they've brought out two albums since and are the biggest act on earth. There aren't many acts of this size going.

Not sure I agree with your police work there, Lou.

They are not the biggest act in the world, outside europe they are about the same size as the strokes or muse or w/e. A distinct step below the likes of Coldplay, Kanye, U2 etc etc

seen them twice this year and i found it dull, the crowd in Madrid and sweden might not be the best i admit but it still totally lacked energy and the setlist were dull imo