2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

1 hour ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Artic Monkeys just seems a bit "done", doesn't it? 3 times in 12 years... I'd much prefer the Cure and altho they've also headlined before, it was nearly 30 years ago. If the AM are still around in 28 years they have my complete backing to do it again. Seems as if they're doing over 20 headline slots or whatever NME said they're nailed on imo. I'm not a big BIG fan of them, but they could be worth an hour standing in the rain singing along to the Forest.

Why can't Glasto take a massive risk with someone? It's gonna sell out anyway, no one cares THAT much about the headliners do they? Apart from the fine folk on this board obvsiouly ?

Get Morrissey in as back up for Elton. What could possibly go wrong??

1 hour ago, Divein said:

They did take a risk on a headliner,  they got a huge ton of negative comments from everyone, Emily got death threats and another act they have been chasing for years and probably one of their biggest ever bookings pulled out of the festival that year.

I remember Dave Grohl clarifying that the reason he broke his leg was because he was scared of being upstaged by Kanye

1 hour ago, slash's hat said:

Have 2 safe crowd pleasers and give one not so safe or bump someone up. I know Royal Blood have lost a lot of love on this board for some reason, but personally thought their set the best I saw 2017, another album maybe and stick 'em on.

I've done 90 minutes of Royal Blood, it's fun for a bit then you quickly realise that every song is exactly the same. They need to do something different next album.

2 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Artic Monkeys just seems a bit "done", doesn't it? 3 times in 12 years... I'd much prefer the Cure and altho they've also headlined before, it was nearly 30 years ago. If the AM are still around in 28 years they have my complete backing to do it again. Seems as if they're doing over 20 headline slots or whatever NME said they're nailed on imo. I'm not a big BIG fan of them, but they could be worth an hour standing in the rain singing along to the Forest.

Why can't Glasto take a massive risk with someone? It's gonna sell out anyway, no one cares THAT much about the headliners do they? Apart from the fine folk on this board obvsiouly ?

People who never go to Glastonbury care about the headliners.  Efesters care about the Headliners Thread.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I've done 90 minutes of Royal Blood, it's fun for a bit then you quickly realise that every song is exactly the same. They need to do something different next album.

I saw an interview with Royal Blood where they said the question they're most bored of being asked is how to of them makes so much noise.

Er, the footage I saw of them at Glasto, they were blatantly using tapes for the backing vocals.

2 hours ago, Divein said:

They did take a risk on a headliner,  they got a huge ton of negative comments from everyone, Emily got death threats and another act they have been chasing for years and probably one of their biggest ever bookings pulled out of the festival that year.

I missed this, which band did she get death threats over?

I'd almost convinced myself that, due to an increasing number of minor ailments and middle-aged malaise, maybe someone else would get more out of going next year.

All this talk of The Cure has booted me up the bum. They've been a fantasy headliner of mine for yonks. Yes, it's about more than headliners yadda yadda but sometimes you need a carrot to get the wagon rolling. I'm taking it as a sign I'm at least meant to try for tickets one more time.

• Like 1

Just now, The All Round Ball :| said:

I missed as well but pretty sure the headliner was Kanye West and the headliner that pulled out was Foo Fighters due to Dave Grohl's broken leg. I could be wrong though :) 

If it was about Kanye, I'm surprised they're so happy to have Noel back again

12 minutes ago, Homer said:

I saw an interview with Royal Blood where they said the question they're most bored of being asked is how to of them makes so much noise.

Er, the footage I saw of them at Glasto, they were blatantly using tapes for the backing vocals.

Yeah, I just watched half their first song and saw that nobody was singing the backing vocals, so I had no idea what else was taped and turned off.  Not that I'm particularly keen anyway.

36 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

People who never go to Glastonbury care about the headliners.  Efesters care about the Headliners Thread.

Specifically The Guardian comments section on any Glastonbury related article. Would highly recommend come announcement time if anyone feels like exposing themselves to dangerous levels of bitter keyboard smashing.

5 minutes ago, FrancisH said:

Specifically The Guardian comments section on any Glastonbury related article. Would highly recommend come announcement time if anyone feels like exposing themselves to dangerous levels of bitter keyboard smashing.

90% of the comments on any Guardian article about the festival will be decrying the festival as a corporate shindig for media types and middle class kids, almost certainly by people who have never been.

6 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

90% of the comments on any Guardian article about the festival will be decrying the festival as a corporate shindig for media types and middle class kids, almost certainly by people who have never been.

Yeah totally. Especially when in reality the festival is only about 50-60% middle class kids and media types.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Or people who stopped going when the fence went up, or went once more in 2002 and never came back again.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

Wholeheartedly agree needs to be something a bit different. Though as with most acts, they then will get slated for moving away from "their sound" as it were. To be honest I don't care if a backing track was used, they have the energy to be headliners in my opinion, something I felt lacking for example in the last shadow puppets set, whose album I also liked.

57 minutes ago, FrancisH said:

This is also worth a follow, for the sheer idiocy of btl comments 

https://twitter.com/RappinGuardian

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Yes but you have to appreciate that the BBC put a few quid into the Glasto pot and they will want decent viewing figures for their input

Obviously the likes of Coldplay , Foo's and Adele will give em that , risking it with Pale Waves won't.

My mate has been saying for years The Pyramid is too BBC audience friendly !

Must admit I hope Macca doesn't play. Seems past it. I appreciate what he has done for music but watching the streamed gig, you can tell he is 76 and I don't want him to be unappreciated at Glastonbury. I would love AM and The Cure but Macca, I hope is wrong.