2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

1 minute ago, mufcok said:

So we're now looking, potentially, at Macca/The Cure/AM with Liam Gallagher and Stormzy as 2 of the subs?..

Possibly, but 1. it's a very beige set of headliners and 2. they've never had three repeat headliners play in one year, so although there's always a chance they could start next year, I'd say it's more likely that one of those is wrong.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

firstly there's the tweet by the guy in the USA who seems to know what's what.

I've also had a further bit of info which doesn't say they are but does suggest it.

Could his tweet not have been referring to IOW possibly? Just said 'iconic festival in June' didn't it?

7 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

could be.

But I've had something else suggestive of Glasto, too.

AM were the most logical bet but slightly disappointed, as long as them and The Cure playing doesn't impact Macca playing then i'm fine with that. Please tell me that he is still likely! 

Just now, giantkatestacks said:

Bloody hell, all white and all male. Depressing. 

no matter how hard a festival tries, at the moment that's going to happen.

Simple fact is that the majority of acts who are suitable to headline Glastonbury fall into that category.

Things are getting much better lower down the line-ups of big fests, but it's going to take a while for that to work thru.

Just now, giantkatestacks said:

I'm just refusing to believe it would be so uninspiring across the board. It's just too safe

This is why I'm leaning solidly into the concept of Stormzy. I wouldn't be opposed to The Cure/Arctic Monkeys/Paul McCartney - it's no more white than 2013 or 2014, for example - but it feels keeping in touch with Glastonbury giving the heave-up for some artists.

3 minutes ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

This is why I'm leaning solidly into the concept of Stormzy. I wouldn't be opposed to The Cure/Arctic Monkeys/Paul McCartney - it's no more white than 2013 or 2014, for example - but it feels keeping in touch with Glastonbury giving the heave-up for some artists.

Surely no artic monkeys again.. It would be really nice to see a headline spot with all bands that haven't headlined before or at least the last say ten years.. 

3 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Why is macca so much in the frame? Cure and AM seem likely for the reasons as states before, but I'd have thought macca would do his own gigs/Hyde park over Glasto again? 

He's doing his own gigs over here at Christmas then an extensive US tour in May/June. Looks like Glasto is another stop on the tour for him.

2 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

Surely no artic monkeys again.. It would be really nice to see a headline spot with all bands that haven't headlined before or at least the last say ten years.. 

I'd very happily shell out for a Glastonbury headlined by The 1975, Pink and Iron Maiden. I think all three of them will be in Europe next summer so it wouldn't be utterly implausible, except it kind of is.

14 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

I'm just refusing to believe it would be so uninspiring across the board. It's just too safe

To be honest most Glastonbury headliners, especially recent ones anyway are about as safe as they come. The festival really isn’t as into taking risks with its headliners as people like to believe.

Kanye was the last risky one I suppose and look how that turned out.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Possibly, but 1. it's a very beige set of headliners and 2. they've never had three repeat headliners play in one year, so although there's always a chance they could start next year, I'd say it's more likely that one of those is wrong.

Thing is though at some point it's going to have to happen. Choices run thin and if FM can't agree and FATM is off what other choice is there?, remember people still have to say yes to do it. They can't turn down Macca and Arctics is a easy booking for all parties.

4 minutes ago, Mouseboy11 said:

To be honest most Glastonbury headliners, especially recent ones anyway are about as safe as they come. The festival really isn’t as into taking risks with its headliners as people like to believe.

Kanye was the last risky one I suppose and look how that turned out.

True, but even Neil Lonsdale would look at that three and think "that's a bit bland".