2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

17 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

Tbf Kendrick Lamar would be the best booking - is there a reason we seem to have all gone off the idea other than general lack of info?

I think just the fact we've no indication that he'll be touring next Summer and DAMN. will be over two years old by then. He also only played for an hour at R&L which many think is the reason he only co-headlined. Not sure Glasto would take that.

21 minutes ago, suzie sue said:

just don’t think that Glastonbury would be announced amongst a landslide of other festival announcements like the cure usually do 

The festival is more likely going to sell out before The Cure are even announced so I don't think this would be a problem. 

37 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Sticking with Lady Gaga / Fleetwood Mac / Macca for next year.

AM can do IOW and come back in 2021 when they have a new album and can be the "big" act that year.

The Cure maybe for IOW too (when did they last play? 2014?). Cant see them being a top choice for a headliner.

2020 can then be something like Elton John / Kendrick Lamar / AC/DC.

Can't see The Cure playing IOW. They have played on the island twice in the last 7 years due to two headlining slots at bestival. They have no history with the festival having never played it.

10 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

A book that appears to be sat on a sofa or something?

6 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Aye an open magazine/book with the Noel quote in it, sat on a sofa.

Ah thanks. I was thinking someone had kind of superimposed the text over an image or something - didn't realise it was just pages from a book. Couldn't that just be him retrospectively referring to the fact he's played it then?

1 hour ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Neil has info saying The Cure aren't doing IOW. Don't think they've ever played it anyway.

We've got into from three different directions that they're headlining Glasto, info from Neil that they're not doing IOW, confirmation from Robert Smith that they're doing around 20 festivals next year and a reply to eFests' tweet saying that Robert Smith said at their Meltdown performance this year they'll be back next June. Seems a bit weird to expect two acts we've had absolutely no info on over them - one of which has form for refusing to play Glasto due to it not paying enough money.

It doesn't have to be announced amongst that, though? They've already announced two or three European festivals over the last week or so so they're clearly not announcing them in one dump. I don't see any reason why they'd care about Glasto not announcing them until the new year or something.

It's just who I reckon is likely given that AM and The Cure aren't (hadn't heard about Niels info about them not doing IOW, just that he had conflicting info about them playing or not). I just assumed they'd be a fit for IOW given that they could fit a similar role to Depeche Mode this year (and I got confused between Bestival and IOW, where apparently they have played recently idk). It would fit the bill of one of the larger fests in the UK that they haven't played at yet then, and they did R&L in 2012(?) so they obviously are willing to work with Live Nation.

Everyone's heard my arguments about AM so I ain't gonna type that all out again.

Edited by Mattymooz

8 hours ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

Kendrick and Madonna in the same year?
Fleetwood Mac and The Carters in the same year?
ME and EE best have a slush fund they've been holding out on all these years for the cost of those four.

Part of the reason The Cure and Paul McCartney feel a plausible combination this year is - info aside - there's the impression that neither will command megabucks in terms of fees. You might get one of those pricier acts in as the third headliner.

Granted, it's asking a lot. I do think it's possible that huge name acts might consider reducing their fee though, especially for the 50th anniversary. It all comes down to promotion; if they could be guaranteed media/television coverage and have something to flog (like Madonna), it's possible.

5 hours ago, kalifire said:

Granted, it's asking a lot. I do think it's possible that huge name acts might consider reducing their fee though, especially for the 50th anniversary. It all comes down to promotion; if they could be guaranteed media/television coverage and have something to flog (like Madonna), it's possible.

I keep forgetting it's the 50th next year, actually - so you could be onto something there. Obviously if you can bill it as a special event, those with some interest in the circuit may hit it up for less than the usual.

I always wonder about 2009; can't imagine that Springsteen and Young came cheap either. A decade ago, they were probably commanding some of the bigger fees on the circuit.

1 minute ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

I keep forgetting it's the 50th next year, actually - so you could be onto something there. Obviously if you can bill it as a special event, those with some interest in the circuit may hit it up for less than the usual.

I always wonder about 2009; can't imagine that Springsteen and Young came cheap either. A decade ago, they were probably commanding some of the bigger fees on the circuit.

I remember hearing at the time that the organisers had compiled a “special dossier” for Springsteen detailing the significance of the festival to convince him to play (and take a lower fee than he’s used to).

6 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I remember hearing at the time that the organisers had compiled a “special dossier” for Springsteen detailing the significance of the festival to convince him to play (and take a lower fee than he’s used to).

I believe I have also heard this in a documentary where Springsteen talks about it, or someone close to Springsteen. It certainly swung him.

Part of me has wondered if next year he would be set for a return. It looks like a new album will hit following the Broadway run and I'd wager whatever tour he embarks on next year with the E Street Band - if any - may be the last mahoosive stadium jaunt of his career. He'll be 70 this time next year after all.

18 minutes ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

I believe I have also heard this in a documentary where Springsteen talks about it, or someone close to Springsteen. It certainly swung him.

Part of me has wondered if next year he would be set for a return. It looks like a new album will hit following the Broadway run and I'd wager whatever tour he embarks on next year with the E Street Band - if any - may be the last mahoosive stadium jaunt of his career. He'll be 70 this time next year after all.

Not sure he'll ever be back to be honest. Feels like one of those headliners who only do it once, not sure what benefit there'd be in having him back.