Don't go to the pub

stuartbert two hats

Just been to the O2 to Cineworld for first time back (I've got a pass so used to go all the time). All but about four restaurants at the O2 are a closed. Was going to be healthy but was forced to have a half-price Five Guys (ah well).

Bit crap in the Cineworld; there was no soap in either the men's or women's toilet. Not too many people in the cinema but people were sitting one row away from each other (front and behind). Really enjoyed just being in the cinema though and Back to the Future 3 is lined up for Thursday. 

Empire Strikes back is a very good film (though I actually prefer Jedi - controversial). Recommended regardless.

We ate out to help out by mistake last night. Met a friend in town and after an hour or so of wandering about and getting hungry, we decided to just do it. Was okay. Franca Manca, sat by the door. I don't see how you're supposed to maintain any distance from the person you're meeting outside your household though? That was pretty impossible. It was nice to eat proper food we hadn't prepared ourselves for the first time since March, but I did find it quite hard to relax so won't be making a big habit of it just yet to be honest. Still not keen on the idea of indoor pubs, but warming up to a beer garden in the countryside in a few weeks' time! 

10 hours ago, Homer said:

Just been to the O2 to Cineworld for first time back (I've got a pass so used to go all the time). All but about four restaurants at the O2 are a closed. Was going to be healthy but was forced to have a half-price Five Guys (ah well).

Bit crap in the Cineworld; there was no soap in either the men's or women's toilet. Not too many people in the cinema but people were sitting one row away from each other (front and behind). Really enjoyed just being in the cinema though and Back to the Future 3 is lined up for Thursday. 

Empire Strikes back is a very good film (though I actually prefer Jedi - controversial). Recommended regardless.

I live near the area and the place has been looking pretty deserted for months now. It’s nice to be going around the place when no one is around but it is a bit spooky.

1 hour ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

We ate out to help out by mistake last night. Met a friend in town and after an hour or so of wandering about and getting hungry, we decided to just do it. Was okay. Franca Manca, sat by the door. I don't see how you're supposed to maintain any distance from the person you're meeting outside your household though? That was pretty impossible. It was nice to eat proper food we hadn't prepared ourselves for the first time since March, but I did find it quite hard to relax so won't be making a big habit of it just yet to be honest. Still not keen on the idea of indoor pubs, but warming up to a beer garden in the countryside in a few weeks' time! 

Been eating/drinking out a fair bit but have rarely sat inside and only when I couldn't help it (three times). Last night I sat outside 5 Guys inside the O2 - which I'm still officially classing as outside.

Just been to the Crown in Pilton.  Packed ( all at a safe distance). What a difference the "eat out scheme" has made. Last week, Pilton Digger and I were nearly the only customers. Tonight they were turning people away. Some new faces in there too. Great for business.  I'm so pleased for them, long may it last. 

• Upvote 2

I've visited a few pubs - all quiet, country pubs and mostly sat outside.  Really nice and lucky to live in a beautiful county with lovely countryside pubs (and very decent local ales).  Ate out tonight in the Eat Out deal - lovely meal and they had tried to follow the rules but tbh I saw a few breaches which I feel is inevitable.  Just things like staff and customer standing close when paying.  I don't feel hopeful, so many people either letting things slip or acting as though it's all over.  But can understand people (including me!) doing things that are allowed, even though I wonder whether they should be!

On 8/4/2020 at 9:01 PM, deebeedoobee said:

Just been to the Crown in Pilton.  Packed ( all at a safe distance). What a difference the "eat out scheme" has made. Last week, Pilton Digger and I were nearly the only customers. Tonight they were turning people away. Some new faces in there too. Great for business.  I'm so pleased for them, long may it last. 

Sadly we missed out on the Crown last week when we visited Pilton after walking from North Wootton  as it was shut and only serves food in evenings. Never mind we will be back! 

Went to the pub for a meal last night for the first time in four and a half months. 

Enjoyable experience and was good value as half price due to the government scheme.

Im surprised that pubs in general haven’t advertised this better to be honest.

i haven’t seen many actually push and advertise that everything is half price with signs up or staff promoting it.

The pub I went to didn’t let us know it was half price until we paid at the end.You’d have thought they’d have signs up to be pushing you to order extra sides or desserts etc. or staff saying ‘due to the scheme, all desserts are £3 today if you want to treat yourself’

Anyway, beer tastes so good in a pub. I missed you,beer

27 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

It’s really odd I’m looking for quiet days to go to the pub now ... when before I’d hope for a few people to be out and about 

I think you might be onto something. If I am right, you are suggesting that optimising the very thing which isn't being optimised (for one reason or another) is where the smart money is going to travel. 

Right, that's me off. Got a few phone calls to make, and some deals to do. I shouldn't wonder if I do a 'Soros' on this one.

We've been to a couple of fantastic country pubs near us.  One in particular is 15 minutes away, has wonderful views across the hills from a beer garden in which we were the only people sitting there, has two fantastic local real ales on.  The pub itself is lovely too and apparently the food is great though we haven't tried it yet.

I am more inclined to head into the country than into town and round here it doesn't seem to be a problem (but we are pretty much in the back of beyond!)

I went into a pub near us today, first time in any pub since lockdown. It was quiet (huge beer garden to ourselves at around 2.30), and nobody at the bar so didnt have to spend much time inside

Wore a mask for that part, and guy behind the bar said "you don't have to wear that in here you know". I was just like "we want to!". Why would somebody say that?? One of his colleagues had one on too. Not one other customer did from what I could see, as it did fill up slightly as we went 

Still feel guilty for going to the pub...

Edited by efcfanwirral

5 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I went into a pub near us today, first time in any pub since lockdown. It was quiet (huge beer garden to ourselves at around 2.30), and nobody at the bar so didnt have to spend much time inside

Wore a mask for that part, and guy behind the bar said "you don't have to wear that in here you know". I was just like "we want to!". Why would somebody say that?? One of his colleagues had one on too. Not one other customer did from what I could see, as it did fill up slightly as we went 

To make you feel better I’ve probabably had that kind of interaction with 10s of people at work today ... you minimised risk and helped in a small way keep that place in some kind of business ... so don’t feel that guilt too much ... 

41 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Re: wearing the mask, I would have done exactly the same as you, would have worn the mask when going inside to order and then taken off when going back outside to the table.

Comments like that are really unhelpful from people at the moment when we are trying to fight a global pandemic, and to be quite frankly honest that staff member should be wearing a mask himself to protect everyone else. So it’s quite selfish on his part.

You definitely did the right thing.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, parsonjack said:

I hugged someone on Thursday that I really miss.  I had to do it.

I'm sorry.

I admire your honesty. I mean, you could easily have said that someone hugged me on Thursday, and left it at that - because I'm sure that that is also what happened, so is also technically correct.

My wife is having difficulties in that area, as she loves hugging people (and trees). 

5 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I admire your honesty. I mean, you could easily have said that someone hugged me on Thursday, and left it at that - because I'm sure that that is also what happened, so is also technically correct.

My wife is having difficulties in that area, as she loves hugging people (and trees). 

I think trees wood be acceptable ... its branching out by willow be within the rules 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, parsonjack said:

I hugged someone on Thursday that I really miss.  I had to do it.

I'm sorry.

Remember that the prevalence of covid in England is around 1 in 2000 right now. So, there’s a 99.9% chance that neither of the participants in this hug had nothing to spread.

Besides, you’re only risking your own health and your friends (and the risk is microscopically small), so there’s no need to apologise to anyone on here. I’m glad you got to be reunited with your friend and greet them with a hug