Don't go to the pub

stuartbert two hats

well I haven't been to a pub yet, but we went out for tea on Saturday and it was lovely. Had to book, they took names / numbers and the tables were all spaced out. Staff had them visors on, fetched drinks on trays and you had to get your glass off yourself (even tho someone must have touched it anyway to pour it?) but it was nice :) 

On 7/25/2020 at 8:20 PM, dotdash79 said:

Went to Grub in Manchester and had my first drink (just a half as I had to drive). 

loved it but it was outside and really well run. Felt relaxed, new outside bit looks great as well. 

Used to go there all the time before they moved. Not been since as it's kind of the wrong side of the city for me. What's the new location like? I really must go some time. 

I went into Manchester on Sunday for Brunch. Ate on a table outside in the NQ. Was nice but obviously would be better if it was warmer! I'm happy enough going out to restaurants but prefer lunchtime. I think drunk people and hygiene are not the best bedfellows! 

On 7/25/2020 at 11:08 PM, gazzared said:

Yeah the horse an jockey, they got closed down last week for something similar and so did another pub called the Travs. Iam not going out to any pubs in Ellesmere port, I've been to a few country pubs instead with their own campsites ... Much quieter 👍🍺🍺🍺

Once this is all over then it is a potentially really good Outdoor venue you know. Problems with the PA meant that they didn’t play til about 9:30 though, by which time everyone was pissed and there was a proper mosh with no social distancing. I stood well back and not sure I’d chance that again. Really good band though- hopefully get to see them at a few outdoor events over the summer. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, gigpusher said:

Used to go there all the time before they moved. Not been since as it's kind of the wrong side of the city for me. What's the new location like? I really must go some time. 

I went into Manchester on Sunday for Brunch. Ate on a table outside in the NQ. Was nice but obviously would be better if it was warmer! I'm happy enough going out to restaurants but prefer lunchtime. I think drunk people and hygiene are not the best bedfellows! 

It’s nice they are getting the garden sorted, it’s now on the right side of manchester for us now. 

we have booked to go to escape to fright island, which has opened on the old grub site. Looks interesting. 

2 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

It’s nice they are getting the garden sorted, it’s now on the right side of manchester for us now. 

we have booked to go to escape to fright island, which has opened on the old grub site. Looks interesting. 

Yes we were talking yesterday about how much Manchester has changed and expanded. Between the NQ and Ancoats etc it extends out so much more now and so many interesting places to go for food and drink. 

2 hours ago, gigpusher said:

Yes we were talking yesterday about how much Manchester has changed and expanded. Between the NQ and Ancoats etc it extends out so much more now and so many interesting places to go for food and drink. 

Would like to try hatch as well. The choice in Manchester is crazy. The closure of the streets in the northern quarter have gone down really well. 

52 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

Would like to try hatch as well. The choice in Manchester is crazy. The closure of the streets in the northern quarter have gone down really well. 

Yes although I noticed that it only has permission until the end of July. Hope it gets extended for the businesses around there. 

26 minutes ago, metallimuse said:

Are bars in England allowed to show football? I'm not sure where we stand on that currently.

In Leeds the advice given to pubs was to not show the football. A few did though. I think as it’s just advice it’s been down to the discretion of the bar. 

31 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

In Leeds the advice given to pubs was to not show the football. A few did though. I think as it’s just advice it’s been down to the discretion of the bar. 

Might go down the Griff Inn in town Saturday to watch the Aberdeen Rangers game early doors if they are showing it. 

2 hours ago, metallimuse said:

Are bars in England allowed to show football? I'm not sure where we stand on that currently.

My local (in Northampton) said that they were allowed to but that they would switch it off if people started breaking social distancing between tables or were shouting/singing too much. 

43 minutes ago, sadimmock said:

My local (in Northampton) said that they were allowed to but that they would switch it off if people started breaking social distancing between tables or were shouting/singing too much. 

It's Scottish football early in the day in Leeds so I'm hoping I'll get away with it.

1 minute ago, metallimuse said:

It's Scottish football early in the day in Leeds so I'm hoping I'll get away with it.

My mates were out in Leeds first day pubs were back watching Premier League so you should be okay. 

I went into Parkside Tavern when Leeds were on and they stopped selling drinks but not sure if it was just because it was Leeds and they'd just been promoted etc. (no disrespect meant to Leeds - just the day already felt it could get out of hand). 

20 minutes ago, zeppelin said:

My mates were out in Leeds first day pubs were back watching Premier League so you should be okay. 

I went into Parkside Tavern when Leeds were on and they stopped selling drinks but not sure if it was just because it was Leeds and they'd just been promoted etc. (no disrespect meant to Leeds - just the day already felt it could get out of hand). 

Yeah I reckon for 'foreign' football it should be pretty understated and quiet, not gunna have the place packed out with fans wanting to watch.

23 hours ago, dotdash79 said:

I think they will extend the closures as it's a lifeline for NQ bars at the moment and they have been pushing for this for years

Hatch is really nice, only been once last year for a beer but would go again as mostly covered but still open air which is great

I haven't braved city centre yet as don't want to get the train or bus in, plus fella dead against it (he's a germaphobe anyway, so a 1000% more now)... I might meet a friend instead and just tip toe in the water, but think it will have to be an outdoor one 1st so hope it stops raining sometime soon lol

Edited by shoptildrop

4 hours ago, metallimuse said:

Yeah I reckon for 'foreign' football it should be pretty understated and quiet, not gunna have the place packed out with fans wanting to watch.

I’ve just booked a pub in Leeds for Saturday and they are showing the FA Cup so you could be alright.