When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

3 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Based on how immune systems work, wouldn't we expect a single dose to be much more effective in reducing spread in the youngsters than the oldies?

Youngsters also more likely to have been previously infected further boosting their first dose protection. 

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

Surely vaccine uptake for first doses in the next few days won’t make any difference? It’ll be too soon for those people’s vaccines to have any impact on them if they pick up the virus. Seems like a further gentle prod to get the young vaccinated. 

1 hour ago, fraybentos1 said:

If it it takes 3 weeks from dose 1 to have protection then have we not already passed the window where vaccines done will have an impact directly before June 21st?

I’m sure I read that it starts building after 10 days or so, but after 3 weeks you have the “good” protection (at least against O.G. Covid and the Kent variant. Not so much against Delta where the second dose is crucial).

I don’t think it takes a full three weeks to have *any* protection although maybe @Toilet Duck would be more qualified to confirm that. 

2 hours ago, Chapple12345 said:

The news is gonna be unbearable for the next few days isn't it? I know the situation is fluid but endless speculation and comments like this is never going to help anyone 

Personally I don't see the relevance of this statement. The uptake amongst the younger population and general enthusiasm for the vaccine is extremely high already. The issue is the speed at which it can get done and how quickly it can become effective.

2 hours ago, Chapple12345 said:

The news is gonna be unbearable for the next few days isn't it? I know the situation is fluid but endless speculation and comments like this is never going to help anyone 

Don't worry about it, I've picked up extra vaccination shifts with St John ambulance today. It'll happen.

• Upvote 1

They just need to make a bloody decision so people know where they stand.

I like others have events in August that I need to know yes or no so I can cancel and make plans if needed so there is holiday space left to do it.

But deaths going from 0 one day to 13 the next and 6k a day isn't good. 7 day average now of over 60% uprise. 

It just sounds like pampering over cracks until the inevitable.

5 hours ago, MrBarry465 said:

Personally I don't see the relevance of this statement. The uptake amongst the younger population and general enthusiasm for the vaccine is extremely high already. The issue is the speed at which it can get done and how quickly it can become effective.

Young people are an easy target to blame though. What with their silly trainers and their haircuts and their youth. And call that music? It's just noise. Not like in my day!

7 hours ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I’m sure I read that it starts building after 10 days or so, but after 3 weeks you have the “good” protection (at least against O.G. Covid and the Kent variant. Not so much against Delta where the second dose is crucial).

I don’t think it takes a full three weeks to have *any* protection although maybe @Toilet Duck would be more qualified to confirm that. 

You will start to mount an immune response straight away, but it takes time to build. Most of the people in the trials that got infected in the vaccinated arm (and pretty much everyone that ended up in hospital) do so within the first couple of weeks, so that’s where these numbers are coming from, but it’s not non-existent. Of course, anyone that has already had Covid (and lots of young people have) would get a boost from a shot now (and be more or less fully vaccinated in a week if they get Pfizer).

I’m sure it’s been posted but these graphs made me feel better this morning.  Rush those vaccinations out to the youngsters and fingers crossed we’ll see a drop in admissions to and let us get back to normality!

FB0CF72D-CBC0-4AD9-8316-591917CAECDB.png

5 hours ago, thewayiam said:

They just need to make a bloody decision so people know where they stand.

But it wouldn’t be a meaningful decision if data could affect it before it was implemented. The government needed to stick to a single line of communication: we hope to lift restrictions by this date but we won’t know if we actually can until the week before so we’ll decide then. 

Unfortunately, neither Boris nor his cabinet, nor ‘sources close to’, nor the salivating media who’ll leap on any story regardless of the mental health impact to its readership, can let it lie. Government comms and the state of the media (on all sides) have created a perfect storm of confusion and misery for everyone. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, westholtschic said:

And WOMAD 

Apologies I didn't realise that was that weekend too. If they guaranteed it would only be an additional 2/4 weeks and there would be no further extensions I'm feeling they'd hedge their bets and go ahead... although I'm now worried this comment will age like milk 

• Upvote 1

We don't really know how many young people have had the virus, or how long immunity after infection lasts, do we? And does the immunity you have depend on the viral load? Anyway, a lot of unknowns whether determining one jab or two is enough for young people (or even not so young people).

Wonder if panic or caution is playing a part in some of the milder cases of hospital admissions for the younger population, especially whilst the capacity is there?

Assuming these people have first had a positive Covid test, they may be turning up to hospital with their sats levels in the low 90’s, and therefore only require a short stay and boost of oxygen, before being released a day or so later. Whereas as the previous peaks, they wouldn’t have been able to accept this type of patient, and people were dealing with this and waiting for it to pass at home. 

1 hour ago, Chapple12345 said:

Latitude, Standon Calling and Truck are all due to start the weekend after, will be interesting to see if they stick it out if there was a delay 

57 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

Apologies I didn't realise that was that weekend too. If they guaranteed it would only be an additional 2/4 weeks and there would be no further extensions I'm feeling they'd hedge their bets and go ahead... although I'm now worried this comment will age like milk 

Any festival before reading and Leeds time (and at a smaller scale) would be crazy to push forward surely? How can anyone genuinely believe it'll just be 4 weeks when there's money and the future of business on the line? 

Edited by efcfanwirral

20 minutes ago, st dan said:

Wonder if panic or caution is playing a part in some of the milder cases of hospital admissions for the younger population, especially whilst the capacity is there?

Assuming these people have first had a positive Covid test, they may be turning up to hospital with their sats levels in the low 90’s, and therefore only require a short stay and boost of oxygen, before being released a day or so later. Whereas as the previous peaks, they wouldn’t have been able to accept this type of patient, and people were dealing with this and waiting for it to pass at home. 

I questioned that from the numbers in Bolton. I don't recall the exact numbers but to make the point there was say 300 people went to hospital and 200 of them got told to go home. 

I think it was Hancocks numbers actually... the ones that didn't add up haha! So it may all be bollocks if its coming from him. 

3 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Any festival before reading and Leeds time (and at a smaller scale) would be crazy to push forward surely? How can anyone genuinely believe it'll just be 4 weeks when there's money and the future of business on the line? 

I know they will, but I really dont want them to say something like "we are keeping restrictions and will review in 4 weeks". Because if the numbers follow Bolton we could end up 2 week into that with everything looking great and have to sit on our thumbs for another 2 weeks just because they said 4 weeks. 

I'd like them to say it will be constantly reviewed daily and restrictions will be lifted as soon as we are confident the numbers are in the right place or going the right way. 

As for the festivals. I cant see the July ones happening... unless Marvin is hanging out for Download results to try force the government to allow them but with testing. 

6 minutes ago, Havors said:

I know they will, but I really dont want them to say something like "we are keeping restrictions and will review in 4 weeks". Because if the numbers follow Bolton we could end up 2 week into that with everything looking great and have to sit on our thumbs for another 2 weeks just because they said 4 weeks. 

I'd like them to say it will be constantly reviewed daily and restrictions will be lifted as soon as we are confident the numbers are in the right place or going the right way. 

As for the festivals. I cant see the July ones happening... unless Marvin is hanging out for Download results to try force the government to allow them but with testing. 

They are allowing the footie games with a vaccine passport/testing. Hopefully the same with festivals

5 minutes ago, Havors said:

The numbers are not going to get better within 4 weeks unless they reverse stuff, so if we're delaying on the assumption growth will be never ending we probably delay for longer I'd imagine 

In theory the test events SHOULD allow these to happen as soon as possible with testing and it should be separate, but they can't confuse the poor public with mixed messaging so I'm guessing everything will be delayed apart from the fans in the euros of course, because obviously they're so important 🙄.

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

They are allowing the footie games with a vaccine passport/testing. Hopefully the same with festivals

I think social interactions would be considered a lot different at a festival. But if the pilot goes well then there is no reason not to allow them with vaccination and/or testing.