When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, Zacko said:

Thankfully I don't feel too bad at all after the jab yesterday (other than the slightly sore arm). 

However it did take me absolutely ages to fall asleep last night, and I had some perplexingly weird dreams and a few night terrors. Not sure if it's related to the jab, but seeing my room slowly filling up with Jaffa Cakes was a vibe. Shame I woke up tbh. 

Ha sounds similar to my experience! Slightly sore arm and I did feel absolutely knackered this morning but thankfully all good aside from that. 

28 minutes ago, El Matador said:

The aim of restrictions has always been to ensure that people that need hospital care have access to it. 

I've no doubt that catching covid is very unpleasant for a lot of under 40s. However it's not, and never has been, justification for imposing or maintaining restrictions. 

The aim of the restrictions should shift based on the access of a vaccine. Before a vaccine was available, the aim always should have been to avoid hospitals from being overrun. Now that a vaccine is here, the aim should be 'we want to get as many people vaccinated as possible'. 

We now have one and it works, the aim should be to avoid as much collateral damage as possible. We are literally weeks away from potentially saving a lot of lives - we should be seeing it through to the finish. Not rushing things through so a few people can go to nightclubs...

Edited by MrBarry465

The real creative solution is to allow anyone without two jabs that was furloughed before the re-opening to have their furlough extended to the point they have their second jab - at the employee, not the employer's discretion. With adequate protections in place for return to work etc.

That way young people can make their own assessment on the risk, some will take the furlough which will reduce hospital numbers etc, while those desperate to get back to normality can do so as well. 

7 minutes ago, mike46 said:

But on the flip side there’s just as many people in that age group who had no symptoms/mild illness.

i’m 31 and know of at least 30 friends within 5 years who had it and had absolutely nothing more than a day or two feeling a bit run down. I personally didn’t even know I had had it until I had to do the plasma test last summer. 

Even if it impacts 50% of people really badly and 50% mildly, that's still more than enough evidence to highlight that we need to get everyone jabbed. 

Just now, MrBarry465 said:

The aim of the restrictions should shift based on the access of a vaccine. Before a vaccine was available, the aim always should have been to avoid hospitals from being overrun. Now that a vaccine is here, the aim should be 'we want to get as many people vaccinated as possible'. 

We now have one and it works, the aim should be to avoid as much collateral damage as possible. We are literally weeks away from potentially saving a lot of lives - we should be seeing it through to the finish. 

I agree, if we can save lives at this stage of the pandemic which the vaccines we really should look to do that, considering we can do quite a bit now that we couldn’t a few months back. 

2 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

100%

But up until what point? Why would we allow kiddies who can't get the vaccine to suffer?

There is clearly a line somewhere for everyone of cases/ deaths they would 'allow'. It's hardly outrageous that a lot of people think that time has come.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

But up until what point? Why would we allow kiddies who can't get the vaccine to suffer?

There is clearly a line somewhere for everyone of cases/ deaths they would 'allow'. It's hardly outrageous that a lot of people think that time has come.

Because children are not eligible for the vaccine and adults are. Everyone who is 'eligible' should be given the oppurtunity to get a vaccine before allowing the floodgates to open.

Thats hardly an outrageous position either is it? 

As I've said multiple times in this thread, the current restrictions we have in place are really not that 'suffocating' and I do feel as though people are making a bigger deal out of it than it needs to be. You can go to pubs, you can head to the gym, you can go to sporting matches etc. 

A few more weeks of limited capacity is not going to harm anyone, but opening up to soon can potentially. 

Edited by MrBarry465
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

11 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

Because children are not eligible for the vaccine and adults are. Everyone who is 'eligible' should be given the oppurtunity to get a vaccine before allowing the floodgates to open.

As I've said multiple times in this thread, the current restrictions we have in place are really not that 'suffocating' and I do feel as though people are making a bigger deal out of it than it needs to be. You can go to pubs, you can head to the gym, you can go to sporting matches etc. 

A few more weeks of limited capacity is not going to harm anyone, but opening up to soon can potentially. 

Nah it is not outrageous, it just seems like a position that could keep pushing things back and back. Too far back and the wave comes over winter and then it'll be like right let's just wait till spring then.

Also, where I am I've only been able to go into a pub for the first time since Saturday just gone. I'd say that is pretty shite and restrictive to me and that has been over 6 months of that. You can go to pubs for like 2 hour slots at allocated times and barely move about. It's shite, restrictive and needs gone asap. I don't think people are exaggerating when they say that even tho it is better that February that this isn't shite and nowhere near normal. The bar was very very low.

Walk in vaccination clinic taking place this week at North Manchester General Hospital (Ward G2).

The vaccination clinic for anyone over 18 years of age and over.

They will be offering a first Pfizer vaccine and a second Astra Zeneca vaccine to anyone who requires it.  Please note 2nd doses need to be a minimum of 8 weeks after the first dose.

The clinic will be open at the following times:

Friday 11th June - 8-2pm

Saturday 12th June - 8-7pm

Sunday 13th June - 8-7pm

The address of the clinic is:

North Manchester General Hospital (Ward G2)

Delaunays Rd, 

Crumpsall, 

Manchester 

M8 5RB

7 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Nah it is not outrageous, it just seems like a position that could keep pushing things back and back. Too far back and the wave comes over winter and then it'll be like right let's just wait till spring then.

Also, where I am I've only been able to go into a pub for the first time since Saturday just gone. I'd say that is pretty shite and restrictive to me and that has been over 6 months of that. You can go to pubs for like 2 hour slots at allocated times and barely move about. It's shite, restrictive and needs gone asap. I don't think people are exaggerating when they say that even tho it is better that February that this isn't shite and nowhere near normal. The bar was very very low.

I guee some of it's relative, I'm based in Bristol and as far as I can tell have been leading a pretty 'normal life' for a while now. I work from home, I can go meet mates for beers in the park or in a beer garden, I go to the gym. 

The only things that are still in place is I wear masks inside shops and clubs are not open. Aside from that I don't really see what the fuss is personally and think people do need a sense of perspetive. There seems to be a little bit of entitlement/toys out the pram going on. 

• Downvote 1

17 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

Its not normality though. Where is the spontaneity in life gone? I want to go to the pub with friends I have to book a table, wear a mask everywhere. What if want to go on holiday somewhere in the UK with friends? Can only go with 5 other peoples. Not saying that once 21st rolls round that Its completely back to normal but its that first step after a pretty horrible 1.5 years. 

The issue is when do you say we are protected enough? You saying now that you need to give it to as many young people as possible, next it will be till everyones double jabbed (so August/September) next it will be boosters (So December/Jan next year).

You cant keeping moving the goal posts. The aim was protect the NHS and lives. There are less than 1000 people in hospitals now vs 40000 at the peak with COVID. Deaths are hitting 0 frequently. Young people aren't at risk. 

9 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

And all the weddings cancelled, and all the extra money lost by pubs, theatres, festivals e.t.c.

If there is a risk assessment which says keeping it a few weeks longer is less damaging than extra infections in that period, id like to see it 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

I guee some of it's relative, I'm based in Bristol and as far as I can tell have been leading a pretty 'normal life' for a while now. I work from home, I can go meet mates for beers in the park or in a beer garden, I go to the gym. 

The only things that are still in place is I wear masks inside shops and clubs are not open. Aside from that I don't really see what the fuss is personally and think people do need a sense of perspetive. There seems to be a little bit of entitlement/toys out the pram going on. 

The issue here is that you’ve just said it yourself - you don’t mind things carrying on as they are for a little while longer, as the additional easing will have little to no impact to you.
Whereas many people are a lot more affected by this for a variety of reasons, and they want all restrictions to end on 21st June. What if you owned a small local bar or restaurant - would your views change then? I’m sure they would. 
This is why conversations around this point are futile and tedious, as it will always come back to personal situations. 

Edited by st dan

2 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

Well as I say, that certainly isn't the case for me in Glasgow. 

Also, yes some basic stuff is back now but not much of the actual fun stuff. Big sporting events, gigs, festivals. Being able to just pop out to the pub if you fancy it, travel. The list goes on and on. I think standards have been lowered a lot if you don't think there is much to fuss over.

4 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Did it ever cross your mind that I might not be worried about myself personally?

If anyone was that bothered about catching it, they’d be shielding themselves and staying at home. Just by being out the house, anyone you encounter has accepted that small risk.

So don’t waste time worrying about what happens to other people. 

1 hour ago, MrBarry465 said:

If your literal statistic / barometer of a viruses danger to people is literally just 'death' then probably not many.

However, I am 32 and nearly all of the people in my age group (friends) who have caught COVID and had actual symptoms, have had several weeks to months in some cases of those symptoms hanging around.

Whatever spin you want to put on it, that's not a good thing. Particularly as many of those are full time employed.

I’m 40 and everyone I know who has been symptomatic has been better within a week including colleagues, friends and even my 82 year old grandad. Of course, he was very lucky.

It’s about 5% of symptomatic cases that result in long covid. 

35 minutes ago, Zacko said:

Thankfully I don't feel too bad at all after the jab yesterday (other than the slightly sore arm). 

However it did take me absolutely ages to fall asleep last night, and I had some perplexingly weird dreams and a few night terrors. Not sure if it's related to the jab, but seeing my room slowly filling up with Jaffa Cakes was a vibe. Shame I woke up tbh. 

😂😂My dreams after my second jab were so vivid and random for 3 nights! I kept waking up thinking what tf was that about? 

1 minute ago, aj6658 said:

Its not normality though. Where is the spontaneity in life gone? I want to go to the pub with friends I have to book a table, wear a mask everywhere. What if want to go on holiday somewhere in the UK with friends? Can only go with 5 other peoples. Not saying that once 21st rolls round that Its completely back to normal but its that first step after a pretty horrible 1.5 years. 

The issue is when do you say we are protected enough? You saying now that you need to give it to as many young people as possible, next it will be till everyones double jabbed (so August/September) next it will be boosters (So December/Jan next year).

You cant keeping moving the goal posts. The aim was protect the NHS and lives. There are less than 1000 people in hospitals now vs 40000 at the peak with COVID. Deaths are hitting 0 frequently. Young people aren't at risk. 

The spontaneity of life will not come back overnight, regardless of when we are fully open mate. I hate to break it to you, but for the majority of society this is going to be a long road back.

I'll state my position one final time. Everyone who is eligible should be offered a jab once and thats it. I think it's you who is mythically shifting the goal posts.

At no point in the last few months have the government had to shift the goalposts. If they need to do it once at the final hurdle to get everyything over the line, it's not issue from me. 

• Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Wouldn't say there is much point worrying about it. If you're prepared to go then go, I don't think it is against the rules and no one can stop you anyway.

Yeah I am going. Just said it was a slight concern. For multiple reasons really. I'll be careful not to voice my concerns again!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Also tonnes of weddings and funerals ruined. Big family events, holidays. The list goes on and on. I don't get how people can be so blase about it and accept the bare minimum

The government has said from day dot, trying to book holidays overaseas this year should be met with caution. People take those risks and need to accept the consequences. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

Agree with this. People's risk perception has been completely skewed, which is perfectly understandable given what happened over the last 15 months. 

As soon as you change the aim to "let's save every life possible" then we're resigned to a never ending loop of lockdowns.