When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Just now, MrBarry465 said:

We aren't at herd immunity yet?

A more transmissable variant just means it's a race to protect people against collateral damage vs the vaccine.

Make sense now? 

I thought to reach herd immunity you needed a certain percentage to have immunity...and they thought that would be about 70%....but with a variant which is more transmissable you need to have over 80% to be immune. We're not there yet.

4 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I’m yet to see why people under 40 catching the virus is even a bad thing. 

That seems ignorant.....

For a start, people under 40 make up a pretty signifcant chunk of the workforce/economy and yes do in fact get ill from it.

Edited by MrBarry465
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

(maybe we are at herd immunity then)

Theres enough anecdotal evidence out there that antibodies agains the virus do in fact wear off. The vaccination is the silver bullet. 

Edited by MrBarry465

1 minute ago, MrBarry465 said:

Theres enough anecdotal evidence out there that antibodies agains the virus do in fact wear off.

T-Cell response shouldn't though in theory. We are defo looking at yearly boosters though just to be on the safe side. 

2 minutes ago, Havors said:

T-Cell response shouldn't though in theory. We are defo looking at yearly boosters though just to be on the safe side. 

and even if antibodies do wear off...there should still be enough of them in a lot of people, right? I think we are so close...it's a big decision whether to delay or not.

Edited by steviewevie

3 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

Theres enough anecdotal evidence out there that antibodies agains the virus do in fact wear off. The vaccination is the silver bullet. 

9 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

That seems ignorant.....

For a start, people under 40 make up a pretty signifcant chunk of the workforce/economy and yes do in fact get ill from it.

Not seriously though, unless you’re obese or just seriously unlucky. Basically for the amount of people, it’s completely disproportionate to enforce heavy handed limits on personal freedom. 

5 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

and even if antibodies do wear off...there should still be enough of them in a lot of people, right? I think we are so close...it's a big decision whether to delay or not.

I agree we have to be very very close now. I'm of the opinion I wouldn't delay personally but I can totally understand why they will delay just to be extra cautious as we have been burnt badly previously. And the re-openings are going to have to be irreversible, the country cant withstand another lockdown. 

4 minutes ago, JB15 said:

If I didn’t have tickets to 2 one day internationals in early July, I’d say delay a couple of weeks. But I do, so if we can decide soon that we are good to go, that would be great for me 🙂

I've not got tickets for anything per say but from a selfish point of view, 6 of us are having a weekend away from our wives and children on my friend's boat in Cornwall on the weekend of 16th July so it would be nice if all restrictions were gone by then but can't see current rules creating too much of an issue.

1 hour ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Bit harsh, no? Lockdown only ends when the people decide it’s over and heroes like ALW taking matters into their own hands might be what’s needed here. 

The number of people who’d like a lockdown to be over will far outweigh the number of people prepared to do anything about it if it’s not. The latter group always overestimate themselves. 

It would be interesting to see what would happen if ALW followed through though. Presumably it’s not really his call, it’ll be the theatre managers etc. - I doubt anything of the kind would happen but I’d quite like to watch him being arrested if he tried. 

21 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I've not got tickets for anything per say but from a selfish point of view, 6 of us are having a weekend away from our wives and children on my friend's boat in Cornwall on the weekend of 16th July so it would be nice if all restrictions were gone by then but can't see current rules creating too much of an issue.

Pretty sure you could do that under the current rules, unless there’s some special restriction on boats 

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

Festivals can't be looked at in the same way as football matches. They can space every other seat in stadiums but try telling 90k they can't jump and mosh for their favourite band.

But if everyone has had tests...

I'd also say the concourses are worse than anything an outdoor festival could bring  

44 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Got my mum's 90th at end of July and my brother was going to come over from US with his family...so not sure what happening with that...I'm still up for it, most of us have been jabbed, even my brother's kid has in the US...but not sure how others in my family will feel...or how difficult it will be for those coming in from US.

1 hour ago, Havors said:

I agree we have to be very very close now. I'm of the opinion I wouldn't delay personally but I can totally understand why they will delay just to be extra cautious as we have been burnt badly previously. And the re-openings are going to have to be irreversible, the country cant withstand another lockdown. 

actually...that herd immunity thing...it may be 80% overall, but you need that 80% to be spread across the population...and it won't be 80% of 20 somethings who have antibodies...right?

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

actually...that herd immunity thing...it may be 80% overall, but you need that 80% to be spread across the population...and it won't be 80% of 20 somethings who have antibodies...right?

Yeah thats how I would understand it. But the 4 in 5 number is all adults so that is 18 and over. With the vaccinations ongoing we are not very far off I would imagine. 

1 minute ago, Havors said:

Yeah thats how I would understand it. But the 4 in 5 number is all adults so that is 18 and over. With the vaccinations ongoing we are not very far off I would imagine. 

But doesn't the herd immunity threshold include all of the population, i.e. kids, so 80% of adults is not the same as the 80% of the entire population that need to have some form of immunity? It's the same argument people were using with the vaccine stats - x% of adult population have been vaccinated, not the entire population, and kids can catch and spread COVID even if they don't get ill. 

I've heard it all now from the resident shithouse! I'm yet to see why people catching the virus under 40 is a bad thing?, so suddenly there is now an age category where catching is it is okay?

I've heard of let's get to festivals no matter what, fucks the stats blah blah but this is next level!

Just now, hodgey123 said:

But doesn't the herd immunity threshold include all of the population, i.e. kids, so 80% of adults is not the same as the 80% of the entire population that need to have some form of immunity? It's the same argument people were using with the vaccine stats - x% of adult population have been vaccinated, not the entire population, and kids can catch and spread COVID even if they don't get ill. 

Yeah that is a point. I get what you are saying.

What %  of total population would 100% of the adult population make? haha! 

Raises the question are you going to vaccinate young children? What evidence is there that they are major vector for transmission? The schools reopened and cases still went down? Its all a bit more complicated than just picking a number I guess haha 

5 minutes ago, Havors said:

Yeah that is a point. I get what you are saying.

What %  of total population would 100% of the adult population make? haha! 

Raises the question are you going to vaccinate young children? What evidence is there that they are major vector for transmission? The schools reopened and cases still went down? Its all a bit more complicated than just picking a number I guess haha 

By chance just saw a tweet from Tom Harwood saying that adults make up just under 80% of the total population, so adults comprise c. 62% of the total UK population. So if 80% is the magic number we still need a bit of a push.

8 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I've heard it all now from the resident shithouse! I'm yet to see why people catching the virus under 40 is a bad thing?, so suddenly there is now an age category where catching is it is okay?

I've heard of let's get to festivals no matter what, fucks the stats blah blah but this is next level!

How many under 40’s with no underlying health problems have died from covid?