When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

10 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Whether Trump wins or loses, America is gonna be a pretty awful place to be over the coming weeks/months. He’s ramped his supporters up to start a near civil war in either instance, but especially in the (fingers crossed) likely scenario that he loses. The time between the final election result and him hopefully leaving office is gonna be mayhem, and he’s gonna attempt to burn the country down before he’s forced out.

if he loses ideally he loses by a landslide...that should hopefully reduce any potential trouble. But..he's already signalling that he will declare victory if ahead on Wednesday before all postal votes counted, and then dispute any claim of a Biden win after that...and things could get very messy then.

37 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Whether Trump wins or loses, America is gonna be a pretty awful place to be over the coming weeks/months. He’s ramped his supporters up to start a near civil war in either instance, but especially in the (fingers crossed) likely scenario that he loses. The time between the final election result and him hopefully leaving office is gonna be mayhem, and he’s gonna attempt to burn the country down before he’s forced out.

Yeah I'm pretty worried about this too. Trying to focus just on Biden winning first, though. That's the first step. But it's going to get messy.

Just been listening to Trump supporters/voters on the radio. Scary. Some think that democrat party is now hard left...which is scaring them even if they're not sure about Trump...another supporter said that even if Trump loses the election he will still win, US will win, Trump knows what he's doing, he's going to send in the big troops!

Edited by steviewevie

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

Just been listening to Trump supporters/voters on the radio. Scary. Some of think that democrat party is now hard left...which is scaring them even if they're not sure about Trump...another supporter said that even if Trump loses the election he will still win, US will win, Trump knows what he's doing, he's going to send in the big troops!

Imagine openly wanting a dictatorship in your own country.

2 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Have you seen the stuff about many of his supporters wanting him to extend the presidential term rule? Trump 2024, 2028 etc and letting his children take over after he dies?

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

It’s a cult, plain and simple.

In years to come Americans are gonna be searching through their grandparents old things in the attic and gasp in horror upon finding a MAGA hat as if it were a Klan robe or SS uniform. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

To cut through the noise

Extended read here - https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/im-here-to-remind-you-that-trump-can-still-win/

tl;dr - nothing has really changed in the last 48 hours, Trump can definitely still win via the EC but the polls need to be more wrong than they were in 2016. 

I do get it but I’m not holding my breath. It’s not over until it’s over. I still think there’s a huge chance the scales could be tipped.

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Have you seen the stuff about many of his supporters wanting him to extend the presidential term rule? Trump 2024, 2028 etc and letting his children take over after he dies?

I've seen his supporters interviewed where they say they want Jr to follow for 8 years, then Ivanka. Even the true believers don't seem to mention Eric though. They aren't THAT delusional 

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

I do get it but I’m not holding my breath. It’s not over until it’s over. I still think there’s a huge chance the scales could be tipped.

If the election goes ahead legally then Trump loses. That’s pretty much a certainty. 

Trumps only chance of holding onto power a little longer is if he declares postal votes illegal or some other shenanigans. He will still ultimately lose but he is not going to lose gracefully and the fall out from this election could be going on for months. 

I don’t think Biden will be confirmed in January. Trump will be dragging things out as long as possible. 

1 minute ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Anyone else watching live? I've taken Wednesday off work. Planning on getting up around 2am/3am and seeing the drama unfold in real time. Will start on coffee but will almost certainly end up on wine.

Yep I’m doing the same. I’ve stocked up on weed to either celebrate or numb the pain. It’s a shame it doesn’t look like we’ll be getting a definitive result on the night, but hopefully it’ll be so in Bidens favour that they might as well announce his victory early. If not, it’s gonna be a good few days of being glued to my phone/television waiting for the final result.

12 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

This was perplexing me too - until I read this:

"

Authoritarianism refers to the advocacy or enforcement of strict obedience to authority at the expense of personal freedom, and is commonly associated with a lack of concern for the opinions or needs of others. Authoritarian personality syndrome—a well-studied and globally-prevalent condition—is a state of mind that is characterized by belief in total and complete obedience to one’s authority. Those with the syndrome often display aggression toward outgroup members, submissiveness to authority, resistance to new experiences, and a rigid hierarchical view of society. The syndrome is often triggered by fear, making it easy for leaders who exaggerate threat or fear monger to gain their allegiance.

Although authoritarian personality is found among liberals, it is more common among the right-wing around the world. President Trump’s speeches, which are laced with absolutist terms like “losers” and “complete disasters,” are naturally appealing to those with the syndrome."

From: https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/blog/mind-in-the-machine/201712/analysis-trump-supporters-has-identified-5-key-traits

5 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Anyone else watching live? I've taken Wednesday off work. Planning on getting up around 2am/3am and seeing the drama unfold in real time. Will start on coffee but will almost certainly end up on wine.

Me too, I have the week off work and will be going to bed early tomorrow then getting up around 2am. I can’t wait. I love an election.

Biden has an 88% chance according to modelling of winning the election. If it’s a big margin of victory then Trump hasn’t got a hope as the Republicans will abandon him to save their own image. They won’t want to be seen to protect a President that’s really unpopular.

Also don’t be taken in by the vocal minority that are threatening violence, the vast majority of people will accept the result by and large a few grumbles or protests. 

7 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

If the election goes ahead legally then Trump loses. That’s pretty much a certainty. 

Trumps only chance of holding onto power a little longer is if he declares postal votes illegal or some other shenanigans. He will still ultimately lose but he is not going to lose gracefully and the fall out from this election could be going on for months. 

I don’t think Biden will be confirmed in January. Trump will be dragging things out as long as possible. 

If he drags it out past January, the constitution says Nancy Pelosi will become president.

18 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

10 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Me too, I have the week off work and will be going to bed early tomorrow then getting up around 2am. I can’t wait. I love an election.

Biden has an 88% chance according to modelling of winning the election. If it’s a big margin of victory then Trump hasn’t got a hope as the Republicans will abandon him to save their own image. They won’t want to be seen to protect a President that’s really unpopular.

Also don’t be taken in by the vocal minority that are threatening violence, the vast majority of people will accept the result by and large a few grumbles or protests. 

Yep I'm planning to. I do have work to do the next day but not on a 9 to 5 schedule so planning to work it around it. Currently trying to decide whether staying up or doing what you guys are planning will work better. Is there a guide somewhere as to when stuff gets interesting?

I'm going to be off work too. Had an awful night's sleep last night so contemplating taking tomorrow off too so I can reset myself ready for the night. I know that little is going to be able to be definitively called, but I'm going to be sat in my Zoom room with American pals and whomever wants to join me popping in throughout the night/day. 

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yep I'm planning to. I do have work to do the next day but not on a 9 to 5 schedule so planning to work it around it. Currently trying to decide whether staying up or doing what you guys are planning will work better. Is there a guide somewhere as to when stuff gets interesting?

I haven’t seen one yet but I’m sure they’ll be something out out with timings. You can roughly work it out with time zones I think.

Personally I think going to bed then getting up is the way to go, at least you get a bit of sleep that way!

5 minutes ago, Euphoricape said:

Is it a likely scenario that the lockdown in England will be extended and be in force over Christmas and New year? 

I can’t see the government having those restrictions in place at Christmas even if they should. They’ll probably revert back to the tier system by then. 

4 minutes ago, Euphoricape said:

Is it a likely scenario that the lockdown in England will be extended and be in force over Christmas and New year? 

They’re today insisting it will be over by 2nd December ‘by law’, but I think by the end of November we will have another press conference with Boris, Vallance and Whitty presenting lots of brightly coloured graphs showing that we are at a tipping point and ‘alas’ we will need to continue for a little while longer.