When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

9 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Must be nice having a government run by grownups.

I know some of the Corbyn fans don't like it, but I quite like Starmer's thing of actually saying when he agrees with the government instead of disagreeing with everything for the sake of it. I personally hope he persists with it beyond Covid.

8 minutes ago, BobWillis said:

Vulnerable kids were still allowed to attend school during the spring lockdown alongside the key worker kids 

That's the most vuberable - what about those whoa aren't classed as vuberable but who's parents aren't actually that arsed? You think they did the work sent home by the school? 

Why do we have to blame something? It was pubs, they were closed nothing changed now it's schools and education? Then what? Jobs? 

Perhaps the virus is just doing viruses do and spreading.

8 minutes ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

That's the most vuberable - what about those whoa aren't classed as vuberable but who's parents aren't actually that arsed? You think they did the work sent home by the school? 

Why do we have to blame something? It was pubs, they were closed nothing changed now it's schools and education? Then what? Jobs? 

That's not true.

12 minutes ago, Homer said:

I know some of the Corbyn fans don't like it, but I quite like Starmer's thing of actually saying when he agrees with the government instead of disagreeing with everything for the sake of it. I personally hope he persists with it beyond Covid.

Yeah I agree. I think it's a much better way of doing politics. But I'm one of the few weirdos who was initially happy about the coalition (despite hating the Tories) as I thought we might see more collaborative politics in future.  Didnt really pan out.

Throughout Covid we have kept out lad (10) upto date with what is going on because children talk, teachers tell them things and they see and hear things on the news adult news and kids news. So we think it's better to tell him and let him ask his questions and talk about any worries with us. 

I've just been talking to him about going back to school after half term tomorrow.

He stated i don't want them to close schools again. 

He can't wait, he can't wait to see his friends (his only chance given were in tier 3), his teacher, do things he can't do at home and learn things we can't teach him (we both work full time). During lockdown 1.0 he was doing the work he was sent home from school and it was taking him no time, it was better than nothing but it wasn't a days school work and in his own words 'your not as good as my teachers at school, because your not teachers'. 

The next part of his observation impressed me - why do adults want to close schools - we get told off at school if we break the rules but adults don't. Mr X has said adults should wear masks when dropping children off at school and not to stand gossiping at the gates but they don't listen and they don't get told off. 

I think he has a point - my other half has vented her spleen at my twice today about friends or colleagues of hers who are 

1) Needing to take their kids to their elderly parents before and after school to take them and collect them from school despite the clear direction from their employer that this is an acceptable use of the flexi time policy and that arrangements can be made without detriment to wages. 

2) Children will still be going on 'play dates' so mum can have some time to herself. 

This is children spreading Covid this is the irresponsibility of their parents, adults who should know better.

This.combined with tales from the boy about all these kids at school going to aunties and uncles and friends houses with their parents... While in tier 2 and 3.

Just got me thinking.

Edited by RobertProsineckisLighter

12 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yeah I agree. I think it's a much better way of doing politics. But I'm one of the few weirdos who was initially happy about the coalition (despite hating the Tories) as I thought we might see more collaborative politics in future.  Didnt really pan out.

need a different voting system and parliament structure for that to happen. Maybe next century.

26 minutes ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

I happen to agree with you- but these endless lockdowns essentially mean we need to reduce spread as quickly as possible. 

I also think that wont happen with schools open, while also acknowledging parents are the ones who know best when they say they should stay open

The only option it seems is everything else stays closed longer term

7 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I also think that wont happen with schools open, while also acknowledging parents are the ones who know best when they say they should stay open

Not really. Parents only know whether there's a benefit to their children+household. Being a parent doesn't tell you about the effect on the R number by having schools open, or what the current capacity of the NHS is to deal with COVID cases.

2 hours ago, Ozanne said:

23,254 new cases, up from 19,790 this time last week.

Yes, but look at the numbers from the past 2 weeks. Cases appear to be levelling off at the moment.  And on 21st October, cases had reached 26,888.  And since then cases have not exceeded that number.

5 hours ago, steviewevie said:

he could just accept the report's findings, for the sake of drawing a line under this whole episode...

Have a Charles :) 

4 hours ago, Andre91 said:

I teach secondary and I think there will be some form of closures before the December 2nd date. 

Personally, I think attendance throughout the week should be staggered, so X year groups in X days a week etc. to reduce the amount of bodies in schools. The bubbles idea has not worked and there is a lot of cross-bubble mixing due to limited classroom space. Also with transport to and from school, separation of bubbles has been impossible from the get-go. Having a limited year groups in on certain days would help that. 

Have a Charles :) 

6 hours ago, Mr.Tease said:

I just find it weird, that out of all the people in the world, all the crimes and awful things done, some people still feel the need to endlessly lay into Jeremy Corbyn, and think after all the perpetual vilification of the last few years, he's even now supposed to collapse on his knees and plead for forgiveness and acknowledge he is the greatest monster of modern times rather than defend himself in any way.

Have a Helen :) 

I struggle to follow this thread, it moves way too fast for me, but I see the school closure conversation has cropped up and have enjoyed reading everyone’s opinions on it - just wanted to chip in.

I’m a teacher, and most of my teacher friends think schools should close, and I thought the same at first. But it’s such a complicated issue I don’t know anymore.

I read somewhere that it’s now assumed that 1% of primary school kids are carrying the virus, and it’s 2% for secondary school kids. Keeping schools open as they are will do so much harm re spreading the virus and causes case numbers to increase - when I’m in class I’m socially distancing as much as I can, but there’s only so much you can do - a school is essentially the perfect conditions for breeding the virus. Not only that but school staff have been given absolutely nothing from the government regarding not only PPE etc. but also guidance on how to navigate the situation - every school is acting differently. But if you close schools then you’ve got kids mental health, lack of social and emotional development (as well as academic, which in my opinion isn’t as much of a concern), and the fact that a lot of parents and carers wouldn’t be able to work.

I can’t see any way around the issue other than the government stepping up and actually helping schools, increasing their funding to allow either more protection within schools (which you can only do so much of) or more effective home learning to take place - but that still doesn’t solve the parents having to go to work (which could possibly be helped through a 100% furlough scheme), and kids mental health issues.

The whole thing is a complete shit storm and I’m still trying to navigate how I feel about it all.

• Upvote 1