When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Glad to hear I'll have some company in the wee small hours @FloorFiller, @Ozanne, @Zoo Music Girl.

On the questions of when things will happen, there's another good article on this on 538 -  https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/election-results-timing/  but in general the polls close at 2am UK time so we might get some early indication then on the states that are comfortable one way or the other. Results should start coming through over the next few hours. I believe in 2016 they were ready to call it for Trump as early at 07:30am UK time.

53 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Have you seen the stuff about many of his supporters wanting him to extend the presidential term rule? Trump 2024, 2028 etc and letting his children take over after he dies?

I am currently reading about the last years of the Roman Republic - politics then seems very like USA today.  Just trying to work out if Trump is Crassus, Pompey or Ceasar - populists all of them, all in it for their own glory.

24 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I can’t see the government having those restrictions in place at Christmas even if they should. They’ll probably revert back to the tier system by then. 

Yup. I see zero chance of people complying with an extended lockdown over Xmas.

9 minutes ago, Lizzim said:

I am currently reading about the last years of the Roman Republic - politics then seems very like USA today.  Just trying to work out if Trump is Crassus, Pompey or Ceasar - populists all of them, all in it for their own glory.

The National Theatre's adaptation of Robert Harris's Cicero books had Pompey in a Trump wig for a cheap laugh. 

Is it Tom Holland's Rubicon that you're reading?

1 minute ago, mcshed said:

The National Theatre's adaptation of Robert Harris's Cicero books had Pompey in a Trump wig for a cheap laugh. 

Is it Tom Holland's Rubicon that you're reading?

It is indeed, rather I'm listening to it.   🙂

35 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Glad to hear I'll have some company in the wee small hours @FloorFiller, @Ozanne, @Zoo Music Girl.

On the questions of when things will happen, there's another good article on this on 538 -  https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/election-results-timing/  but in general the polls close at 2am UK time so we might get some early indication then on the states that are comfortable one way or the other. Results should start coming through over the next few hours. I believe in 2016 they were ready to call it for Trump as early at 07:30am UK time.

Excellent thanks. Think I will join the early to bed, early to rise club then! See you all here for searing analysis and reaction to it all :)

9 minutes ago, onthebeach said:

I’m staying up to watch this one. Whilst I’ve always done this for UK elections this will be the first for a US one. Any recommendations for which channel usually has the best coverage and insight?

I find Sky News does the best coverage and analysis. Their correspondents are really good. 

9 minutes ago, onthebeach said:

I’m staying up to watch this one. Whilst I’ve always done this for UK elections this will be the first for a US one. Any recommendations for which channel usually has the best coverage and insight?

Saw this earlier - might be a laugh (no link yet, I just saw it on Carl Donnelly's Facebook page)
123182527_10164136069635265_4958649733236586595_n.jpg.65719ccf56bf5e5453ed716bbdef4510.jpg

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

What time do they normally know the result? I can't be arsed to stay up all night, but was thinking of getting up a bit early...maybe 5 or 6am....if I manage it...

It differs from year to year and especially this year with the increase of mail in ballots which will slow things down, so we might not know for days or even weeks, but hopefully it’ll be such a landslide in Bidens favour that it can be called in the early hours of the morning.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lizzim said:

It is indeed, rather I'm listening to it.   🙂

It's fantastic. Such an engaging read, you really get a feel for these characters as their personal struggles re-shape the world. I'd recommend it to anyone not just those with an interest in Ancient Rome.