Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

stuartbert two hats

What's your best guess?   

1,012 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

1 minute ago, stopwn1981 said:

Even if the science doesn’t support it, if people are dying in large numbers, the morally right thing to do will be to cancel gatherings to be seen to be doing something.

For how long? Until there's no longer a virus? 

2 minutes ago, stopwn1981 said:

Even if the science doesn’t support it, if people are dying in large numbers, the morally right thing to do will be to cancel gatherings to be seen to be doing something.

I don’t know about this

6 hours ago, Andy0808 v5 said:

Reports coming out that E3 in early June has been cancelled due to Corona. Obviously, in America and it’s not a concert/festival... but a fairly large conference which will affect the gaming industry.

And presumably indoors? Glastonbury being outdoors helps its cause.

The knock on effects of closing schools and universities could be really bad. I'm in my final year of university now and we're already dealing with staff striking. If those finished next week and we ended up with forced closures I have no idea how they'd move forward. If GCSEs and A Level exams dont happen then what happens instead? In this case I can't see closing schools being a sensible choice. Surely just keeping on with advice to self isolate if showing symptoms and common sense is the best move forward in that area. There are a whole bunch of implications of people not receiving their qualifications (for one, if A Levels dont go ahead, universities won't have a new group of students come September, there will just be a bunch of final year students who couldn't graduate).

6 minutes ago, stopwn1981 said:

Wait 'till you hear about alchohol and smoking and cars and pollution and and and

7 minutes ago, Garrett_Salas said:

This is from the editor of the Lancet

Like I said earlier today, I wouldn't be surprised if Johnsons decided to go for the quick, big hit rather than the delay and maintain approach,but can't actually admit that's what he's doing. 

2 hours ago, Glastobourne said:

A friend of mine who is involved in the planning of a certain aspect of the festival said today... 

As it stands it’s 100% going ahead. The only way it won’t is if the Government get involved. 

I guess there is still every chance of that happening though.

And on twitter today the guy that organises West Holts said : difficult not to worry about things we can't control. As I said yesterday, and the day before I continue to plan and prepare for the event

I'm taking all the positives :-)

50 minutes ago, Gregfc15 said:

From the 23/2 till now, Italy went from 150 to 10k cases. The Uk went from 12 to 456. I'd say the UK is doing well relatively.

Argh - hate to say this, but we started our exponential journey on the 27th Feb - after that date, our figures are an ugly straight line log graph. We are doing well and remarkably, the government are doing a fab job - way better than many others, and that's a shocker.

The poop heading towards the fan is the enforced isolation for visitors - if that spreads to Europe then bands (and more importantly, their teams & equipment) can't tour. Timing is everything, but if we're all at the same infection rates by the end of April (which is likely) then travel restrictions are meaningless (as modelled in the lovely youtube earlier in this thread). So, we might be lucky, if the science is followed. Economics says we should be ok too - we've got to keep the wheels of finance turning.

Having initially voted "no way", I'm now thinking that we'll have our festivals - albeit a little more clean than usual. Looking for a nice smooth hump from mid-April to mid-May.

7 minutes ago, stopwn1981 said:

Morally the the right thing to do is something that actually helps stop the virus , not just be seen to be doing something

Been running some initial analysis on the UK v Italy as I'm sick of hearing people say we are 'two weeks behind Italy'.

It has confirmed what I thought, our increases aren't as steep as Italy's. 

Pre-second wave cases (first wave was when cases were pretty much all from China), Italy had 3 cases and the UK had around 9. So the UK actually had a head start. In the second-wave of infections, Italy went from 20 cases to 453 cases in just 5 days. The UK has only today reached that level, 12 days after being on 20 cases.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Like I said earlier today, I wouldn't be surprised if Johnsons decided to go for the quick, big hit rather than the delay and maintain approach,but can't actually admit that's what he's doing. 

Completely think that's the plan.

3 minutes ago, northernringo said:

Been running some initial analysis on the UK v Italy as I'm sick of hearing people say we are 'two weeks behind Italy'.

Pre-second wave cases (first wave was when cases were pretty much all from China), Italy had 3 cases and the UK had around 9. So the UK actually had a head start. In the second-wave of infections, Italy went from 20 cases to 453 cases in just 5 days. The UK has only today reached that level, 12 days after being on 20 cases.

*confirmed cases

5 minutes ago, northernringo said:

Thank you for this. Been trying to tell people we're not near an Italy like scenario yet. 

2 minutes ago, Tuna said:

*confirmed cases

Yes. Thats all any of us can go off. What else would you prefer mass panic over numbers we just pull out of nothing?