The Weather Thread 2019

sedra

2 minutes ago, jfaragher said:

I'm in South Devon, and it absolutely lashed it down on Friday and Saturday.  Went for a run yesterday, and the ground was already dried out.

As I said before, I think the biggest worry is rain during the event, rather than in the run up.

That's how I'm feeling. We've had a bit of rain here in south Wales but nowhere near as bad as predicted, and the regular return of sunny weather makes it continue to feel like perfect Glastonbury weather :)

• Like 1

Going to be horrific over the whole UK for the next few days but after that it should be fine. The ground on the farm is dry enough to withstand this deluge and then dry up again before we all arrive. I think we now need to start looking at hoping for dry days whilst we are there as constant rain whilst there is worse for me than mud really. 2016 was tough but we only really had the sunday where it was raining during the day.

16 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

Lets hope the site holds up after this weeks barrage of rain. 50-100mm in a few days possible. With luck it settles down a bit after this week but it doesn't look like any prolonged settled weather on the horizon. 

Currently very pleasant in Pilton. Back doors open, washing drying on the line, birds are tweeting (loudly...shhhh) and completely dry. In fact i have added a very high spec rain fall calculator (glass jam jar...recycling) to complement my sticky stick well measurements. Don't listen to the scientists, I'm here on the (very hard) ground in Pilton. 

• Like 9
  • Upvote 8

1 minute ago, deebeedoobee said:

Currently very pleasant in Pilton. Back doors open, washing drying on the line, birds are tweeting (loudly...shhhh) and completely dry. In fact i have added a very high spec rain fall calculator (glass jam jar...recycling) to complement my sticky stick well measurements. Don't listen to the scientists, I'm here on the (very hard) ground in Pilton. 

Sounds lovely! The garden of england is having a thorough watering at the moment. 

3 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

@deebeedoobee I've decided your updates are far nicer and probably just as scientific as the rest of the weather reports so I'm only going to read these from now on.

5 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

Maybe add a couple of pine cones and a sitting/standing cow?

1 minute ago, psychology said:

Maybe add a couple of pine cones and a sitting/standing cow?

I actually left a pine cone on the garden steps last night by mistake! I can't read cones though. Apart from:

Pine cone dry= no rain

Pine cone wet = take a brolly

I can give cow updates at lunchtime when I go for a walk. Lovely jersey cows here. Such beautiful eyes.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

Good stuff! Nice to have someone on the ground that can let us know the site isn't underwater ? Some hope in the European model ensembles - pressure increasing towards the festival dates. https://weather.us/forecast/2638035-shepton-mallet/ensemble/euro/pressure

49 minutes ago, cb4747 said:

Sounds lovely! The garden of england is having a thorough watering at the moment. 

It’s actually dry here in my part of Kent and not really any rain forecast for the rest of the day, so it sounds like you picked the wrong area. Doesn’t mean I’m going to go out for a walk though as I’m feeling thoroughly lazy ?.

24 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

After five minutes out walking a puppy in the rain, I have come to a scientific deduction; a Pilton Theorem, if you will:

Mud and sun >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> dry ground and rain.

I have to agree. In '07 I had a whole packet of cigarettes that had gone out due to getting too wet while I was trying to smoke 'em. It happened so often that I couldn't bin them or I'd run out before Monday. Grim times.

Arguably better for my health, mind.

From the BBC

Monday 24 June  Sunday 7 July

Becoming warmer and drier for most.

The end of June and start of July should see high pressure building more widely across Europe, with Atlantic low pressure systems generally staying to the north-west of the UK. Most parts of England and Wales can expect to see a lot of dry weather, and temperatures will tend to be above normal in all areas, with southern and eastern areas likely to be warmest.
The low pressure systems passing to our north-west may bring occasional spells of rain and some windy weather to Scotland and Northern Ireland, but both countries can expect a fair amount of dry and calm weather, and it will be warmer than normal too.
As always, there is some uncertainty for this part of the forecast. One reason for this is that there is a tendency for low pressure systems affecting the UK in mid-June to linger for the rest of the month. So, whilst we expect the weather to become drier and warmer, there is a chance that it may remain unsettled and cool through to the start of July, with some spells of warm, dry weather, albeit perhaps rather short-lived.

From Netweather

Week 3: Monday 24th June - Sunday 30th June

There will continue to be an emphasis on light south to south-westerly winds early in the period, with high pressure ridging into the east at times, which will lead to more in the way of warm dry sunny weather for central and eastern Britain in particular, but with the weather tending to stay more changeable and cooler in the north and west of Scotland and in Northern Ireland. The early part of this period will probably see temperatures into the mid to high 20s Celsius in many areas. It will probably break down towards the end of June with the pattern flattening out into a more traditional west to south-westerly type, bringing more changeable and windier conditions, fronts moving across the country at times, and temperatures closer to the seasonal norm. There is potential for some thundery outbreaks around the time of the breakdown, but confidence on this is low.

Mean temperatures will thus be above the normal for most of the country due to the warm start of the week and then near average temperatures near the end of the week. Overall the positive anomaly will be about 1C in most western areas and about 2C in most eastern parts of the country. Rainfall totals will mostly be near normal, but probably rather below in the north-east of Britain. Sunshine totals are expected to be near or below normal for Northern Ireland and the west of Scotland, but mostly above normal elsewhere.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, richy24 said:

From the BBC

Monday 24 June  Sunday 7 July

Becoming warmer and drier for most.

The end of June and start of July should see high pressure building more widely across Europe, with Atlantic low pressure systems generally staying to the north-west of the UK. Most parts of England and Wales can expect to see a lot of dry weather, and temperatures will tend to be above normal in all areas, with southern and eastern areas likely to be warmest.
The low pressure systems passing to our north-west may bring occasional spells of rain and some windy weather to Scotland and Northern Ireland, but both countries can expect a fair amount of dry and calm weather, and it will be warmer than normal too.
As always, there is some uncertainty for this part of the forecast. One reason for this is that there is a tendency for low pressure systems affecting the UK in mid-June to linger for the rest of the month. So, whilst we expect the weather to become drier and warmer, there is a chance that it may remain unsettled and cool through to the start of July, with some spells of warm, dry weather, albeit perhaps rather short-lived.

From Netweather

Week 3: Monday 24th June - Sunday 30th June

There will continue to be an emphasis on light south to south-westerly winds early in the period, with high pressure ridging into the east at times, which will lead to more in the way of warm dry sunny weather for central and eastern Britain in particular, but with the weather tending to stay more changeable and cooler in the north and west of Scotland and in Northern Ireland. The early part of this period will probably see temperatures into the mid to high 20s Celsius in many areas. It will probably break down towards the end of June with the pattern flattening out into a more traditional west to south-westerly type, bringing more changeable and windier conditions, fronts moving across the country at times, and temperatures closer to the seasonal norm. There is potential for some thundery outbreaks around the time of the breakdown, but confidence on this is low.

Mean temperatures will thus be above the normal for most of the country due to the warm start of the week and then near average temperatures near the end of the week. Overall the positive anomaly will be about 1C in most western areas and about 2C in most eastern parts of the country. Rainfall totals will mostly be near normal, but probably rather below in the north-east of Britain. Sunshine totals are expected to be near or below normal for Northern Ireland and the west of Scotland, but mostly above normal elsewhere.

Phil approves.

B3507122-187E-44CC-AD8B-17B6A69C8848.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

So to summarise the bbc weather it could be very good but they add a warning that this forecast could be a load of shite.

All I know is my gut says maybe.

It is reassuring that all of the forecasts out at the moment suggest that things will improve towards the end of the month and the site dodged a massive bullet on Friday so I'm starting to be ever so cautiously optimistic.

This will change as soon as I see even the tiniest bit of rain forecast over the festival though.

2 hours ago, Duggyfresh44 said:

We prefer to be known more for our sausages......but the Sausage Bus just sounds filthy tbh....

I'm out of upvotes, but have a fake one for the Lincolnshire sausage reference. Lincoln's sausage fest is always a highlight of my year ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, deebeedoobee said:

1. Deebeedoobee

2. Metcheck

3. Accuweather

4. Ventusky

5. BBC

6. BBC Countryfile

9. Pablo Honey

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2