The Weather Thread 2019

sedra

1 hour ago, Kinkyinuit said:

Low temps and big downpours this week (40mm on accuweather, 20mm on metcheck) and looks set to continue (albeit not as heavy) until the 24th.  

That and being reminded of 2016 is enough to get me to be all reactionary.

The festival isn't this week.

The forecast next week is not the same as this week. There is nothing AT ALL that says it "looks set to continue until the 24th".

Edited by briddj

The attached shows a snapshot of what's been swirling around today.  All that stuff in the East is where it's mainly happening.  It's kind of swirled around in an anti clockwise motion and gradually moved westward.   Luckily the worst of it has avoided the site.   It's going to rain a fair bit but there's hardly any red or pink on the site.  It's forecast to ease off a bit overnight.

HazManSW.docx

https://riverlevels.uk/river-brue-street-clyse-hole#.XP55uWpYaJA

The above link contains a chart showing six years worth of data indicating the level of a river a few miles from Pilton. It appears the level gradually decreases from spring to end of summer, I guess, reflecting the level of the water table. There are spikes when significant amount of rain falls over a short period of time. You can zoom in on specific sections of the chart.

The conclusion I have drawn is 2016 wasn't really any different to any other year up until June 10th (12 days before the festival) where the level was 0.17m. Then there must have been torrential rain up until June 18th which brought the river level right up to .54m. Then more rain kept the level up and it didn't recover to normal levels for the time of year until mid-July.

We are still 16 days from the festival and the level is currently 0.2m. Nothing to worry about, but, I think if there was similar rainfall to 2016, leading up to the festival, then we'll probably end up with a similar amount of mud. i.e. less rain earlier on in the year makes no difference. However, the chart shows it is very rare for spikes of 2016 proportions during the late spring/summer so we have to be very unlucky for a repeat occurrence.

• Upvote 1

Just back from a run. Yep it was a soggy one. 

Good news: trainers still waterproof 

bad news: running jacket not waterproof 

good news: legs are waterproof 

bad news: forgot hat so had drippy rain in eyes 

good news: sky is brighter now

high tech rain gauge and well checks will be taken in the morning .

Mates over on NetWeather are a bit more positive today. Even though a lot of what they post seems to be in a foreign language to me! looks like a bit of agreement in the models that we'll see an improvement next week....

It's because a lot prefer to moan and actually enjoy it. Watch a lot of people disappear from this thread as soon as things improve. And yes you're right, that's the best GFS run for quite some time. Nothing outstanding but temps would rise to average and then slightly above, for the southern half of the UK at least:

GFSOPEU12_186_1.png

Perhaps one of the most promising signs though, is pressure gradually lowering over Greenland. With high pressure building to our east it's certainly a recipe for something a lot warmer for the second half of the month.

16 minutes ago, bigfurbdogg said:

Mates over on NetWeather are a bit more positive today. Even though a lot of what they post seems to be in a foreign language to me! looks like a bit of agreement in the models that we'll see an improvement next week....

It's because a lot prefer to moan and actually enjoy it. Watch a lot of people disappear from this thread as soon as things improve. And yes you're right, that's the best GFS run for quite some time. Nothing outstanding but temps would rise to average and then slightly above, for the southern half of the UK at least:

GFSOPEU12_186_1.png

Perhaps one of the most promising signs though, is pressure gradually lowering over Greenland. With high pressure building to our east it's certainly a recipe for something a lot warmer for the second half of the month.

The worm is turning. The naysayers need to get themselves a shot of hope.

• Upvote 1