Tour Announcements & Upcoming Gigs

FloorFiller

1 hour ago, dreams_burn_down said:

What am I missing here? Thought it was pretty widely accepted that Future Islands are great live. Last album was a bit of a step down IMO but the singles they've released since then are cracking.

1 hour ago, FakeEmpire said:

Yeah, Future Islands are an exceptional live band. That Other Stage slot a few years back was an all-time festival moment for me.

1 hour ago, finn_with_1_n said:

Samuel T Herring will give more energy and passion than all other performers on that stage that Noel G day. is just an odd booking to have them there in the first place

24 minutes ago, she bangs the drums said:

I really enjoyed them in the John Peel a few years ago. I would go and watch them again. 

OK.  Clearly in a minority here, but I think Future Islands are almost unlistenable.  It's bland 80's synth pop backing tracks, with a frontman who sounds - and moves - like he's having his balls electrocuted.  For this reason, I've never seen them play live and never will.  But no matter how good or high energy the performance, the music is awful.  You can't polish that turd.

1 hour ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

OK.  Clearly in a minority here, but I think Future Islands are almost unlistenable.  It's bland 80's synth pop backing tracks, with a frontman who sounds - and moves - like he's having his balls electrocuted.  For this reason, I've never seen them play live and never will.  But no matter how good or high energy the performance, the music is awful.  You can't polish that turd.

Ha ha fair enough, that's why I love music, one persons dream band are another persons nightmare! 

2 minutes ago, Hutchmaster said:

Damien Rice ticket bagged. £75 was more than I was hoping to pay, but he's been on the bucket list for a fair while!

same here! very excited for this one. almost went for the big bucks ones but settled for the £55 rear stalls standing option - still expensive but slightly more digestible. regardless this is a gig many years in the making for me

4 minutes ago, finn_with_1_n said:

same here! very excited for this one. almost went for the big bucks ones but settled for the £55 rear stalls standing option - still expensive but slightly more digestible. regardless this is a gig many years in the making for me

Aye was humming and haaing with the ticket options myself; glad I decided quickly as they're all gone now!

2023 is already turning into a hell of a year for me. Three big bucket list acts (Blur, Pulp, Damien Rice) alongside Jockstrap and King Gizz, with Glasto thrown in for good measure!

4 hours ago, Hutchmaster said:

Damien Rice ticket bagged. £75 was more than I was hoping to pay, but he's been on the bucket list for a fair while!

Last saw him in 2015, think tickets were £50 from memory. Looking forward to seeing him at Hammersmith. Got Damien Dempsey in Leeds the following night too. 

34 minutes ago, Pottsy2913 said:

Looks like The Killers are playing at the Royal Highland Centre in Edinburgh on Tuesday 29th August....must make the a shoe in for a return to Reading and Leeds?

Where has this information come from? Would be very keen to see the Killers again as they were great in Falkirk earlier in the year. 

2 minutes ago, chickenfire said:

Where has this information come from? Would be very keen to see the Killers again as they were great in Falkirk earlier in the year. 

Spied it on my Facebook feed, posted from The Killers themselves. Wonder if someone jumped the gun before an official announcement?

Agreed though, I saw them in Boro and thought they were entertaining, especially as I'd never seen them before. Brandon Flowers is a hell of a showman

image.thumb.png.d6cd58d56d5098c9302d7923bfe60a11.png

2 hours ago, Drinky said:

Where would be a good spot for James? JP headliner, early Pyramid…?

Honestly there probably isn't a good spot for them, which I say with sadness as they're my favourite band. Last time they played it was opening Other when that was still sort of billed as a "special" spot. 

The trouble is they're a band that do a lot of mid-level festivals, and they do so because they shift tickets like no-ones business. You book them to headline, your festival sells out. As such they command a pretty high fee, higher than you'd normally spend on a mid-afternoon Pyramid act, but they're also not really popular or current enough to justify a higher placing.

Acts that are guaranteed ticket-sellers are of less use to a festival that sells all its tickets before announcing any acts.