2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

2 minutes ago, jessden89 said:

Really! Interesting. I wonder how they managed that. That could mean a ton of ruled out acts are actually still possibilities?

They cancelled the gig in Paris (after they were announced for Glastonbury), which rightly pissed a lot of people off.

It's possible similar could happen again, but it seems unlikely.

Killers JP set in 17 was great fun, they played all the hits and the crowd/band were up for it. They actually put a lot of effort into that gig whereas KOL have never put that much effort into their shows. In the early days ( BOTT or Aha Shake) they at least looked interested on the stage, once Only by the night came out they were only interested in the one big sing along and the gigs were shite. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jessden89 said:

Really! Interesting. I wonder how they managed that. That could mean a ton of ruled out acts are actually still possibilities?

They basically squatted out a loaf on top of their fans, particularly those UK fans who'd paid for travel packages to France and got stiffed for pre-booked hotel rooms, etc.

Just now, Woffy said:

They basically squatted out a loaf on top of their fans, particularly those UK fans who'd paid for travel packages to France and got stiffed for pre-booked hotel rooms, etc.

Daltrey was trying to beat Kanye to the title of biggest rock star on the planet though. Alls fair in love and war and all that.....

• Upvote 1

Adele was nowhere near as nailed on in 2016 as everyone keeps saying. She'd never played a show that big before and there was constant talk of her not being up for it due to the size of the crowd. We weren't even certain on her until she was announced, I'm pretty sure. I remember getting the notification for the announcement and being annoyed because it was the final nail in the coffin of the possibility of Radiohead.

2 hours ago, deadpheasant said:

Hold on noones mentioned Maroon 5 yet.

Incorrect, I mentioned them several pages ago! There's actually quite a few things* that if it was anyone else, we'd probably be seriously considering them.   

*Superbowl, in Europe in June, mainstream popularity, never played G, put on a "show", a few of their collaborators might be playing over the weekend too

2 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Adele was nowhere near as nailed on in 2016 as everyone keeps saying. She'd never played a show that big before and there was constant talk of her not being up for it due to the size of the crowd. We weren't even certain on her until she was announced, I'm pretty sure. I remember getting the notification for the announcement and being annoyed because it was the final nail in the coffin of the possibility of Radiohead.

Neil was pretty certain about it though, plus we all debated for weeks during her tour when she would be announced, we even thought it could have been at the Brits so it may not have been that early but we did expect it. 

2 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

Neil was pretty certain about it though, plus we all debated for weeks during her tour when she would be announced, we even thought it could have been at the Brits so it may not have been that early but we did expect it. 

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh, the BRIT Awards.

Only 20 days to go people.

2 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

Expected it, sure, but people are talking as though we 100% knew it was them. This always happens, in 2 years we'll get to January without knowing the third headliner are people will be saying "We knew all the 2019 headliners by now", just because the act who was the favourite at the time (in this case The Strokes) ended up being the headliner, but we definitely weren't 100% on them. At this point in 2016 we definitely didn't know it was Adele for definite.

12 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

Noel G and Liam G both TBC? Im surprised nobody is making a bigger mountain out of that molehill! If we have a Janet Jackson thread surely we can have an Oasis thread.

It's not happening. They've both got solo commitments this summer (and Bonehead's allotment needs work). They haven't got time to kiss, makeup, get back together and rehearse.

Oh, and they don't like each other, which doesn't help.

Edited by Hugh Jass

Didn’t somebody at one of Adele’s shows shout out ‘are you playing Glastonbury?’ and she kind of denied it which caused a bit of doubt on top of us thinking she maybe wouldn’t want to play to a crowd that huge, but other than that she was the front runner for a long time.

Edited by FloorFiller

Just now, FloorFiller said:

Didn’t somebody at one of Adele’s shows shout out ‘are you playing Glastonbury?’ and she kind of denied it which caused a bit of doubt on top of us thinking she wouldn’t want to play to a crowd that huge, but other than that she was the front runner for a long time.

She later announced she was playing on stage. Not sure if that was an officially GF sanctioned reveal, or she just blurted it out.

29 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

we all were, we're we? As far as i can remember I didn't have any special info saying she was playing, but there was loads all over the press for months without being denied by Emily.

Yeah along with Emily's comments of they would love to have her and she would be an amazing booking etc. There was no definitive info but from memory the consensus around here and im sure yourself was that she was probably playing but with the possibility it may not be her as she hadn't done festivals before. 

Sure she was confirmed in the late feb early march at her own gig, so was still around 4 months before the festival (so still moderately early) 

54 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Expected it, sure, but people are talking as though we 100% knew it was them. This always happens, in 2 years we'll get to January without knowing the third headliner are people will be saying "We knew all the 2019 headliners by now", just because the act who was the favourite at the time (in this case The Strokes) ended up being the headliner, but we definitely weren't 100% on them. At this point in 2016 we definitely didn't know it was Adele for definite.

Hindsight bias, also known as the knew-it-all-along phenomenon or creeping determinism, refers to the common tendency for people to perceive events that have already occurred as having been more predictable than they actually were before they took place.

Just so you know what to call it in 2 years.

53 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Didn’t somebody at one of Adele’s shows shout out ‘are you playing Glastonbury?’ and she kind of denied it which caused a bit of doubt on top of us thinking she maybe wouldn’t want to play to a crowd that huge, but other than that she was the front runner for a long time.

Aye she said she'd shit herself on stage.

4 minutes ago, nysmaw said:

Hindsight bias, also known as the knew-it-all-along phenomenon or creeping determinism, refers to the common tendency for people to perceive events that have already occurred as having been more predictable than they actually were before they took place.

I cannot wait for 2 years from now when someone claims we all knew it was The Strokes at this point and I can say screw you you all kept talking bollocks about how it won't be The Strokes.

7 minutes ago, nysmaw said:

I knew you'd say that.

• Upvote 4