Headliner predictions 2017

swede

4 minutes ago, aidenlangan95 said:

Dice, the app, does something like that; it's a good idea for sold out shows.

Yep same as Resident Advisor

5 minutes ago, st dan said:

The fact that there is no legislation (and unlikely to ever be a completely fair non-profit release site), then they should look at stopping them all. 

So your point is either to create legislation to remove second hand sales or to create legislation to allow for a platform for fair resale? Either way there has to be some sort of actual legal movement, so, I don't see why anyone would prefer the first choice over the second.

This topic always riles me so.

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

They'd only agree to a refund if they can resell though. 

Well, ok. Resident Advisor do something similar - you can choose for RA to resell your ticket (through their normal ticketing means) and if it's sold you get face value back.

If it's not going to resell, you're not going to be able to sell it on for higher on a secondary site anyway.

15 minutes ago, arcade fireman said:

Nope, 50-60 quid would be a more reasonable price in line with other similar artists. 

no it isn't. the only similar act to his size is Adele who was charging 75+fees for standing over a year ago.

then you have acts like Beyonce who were charging 80+.

70+ is fairly standard for massive acts in arenas these days.

20 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Of course not, he's entitled to charge what he wants and the ticket prices are high but not wildly out of whack with the going rate.

What's annoyed people is the big song and dance he's made in the past about keeping ticket prices low and not ripping people off. Jumping from £45-£55 at Wembley to £84 at the O2 in two years is quite the leap. Charging an extra 70%-80% than last time whilst moaning about secondary sites ripping people off is hypocritical.

it's not wildly out of wack, it's inline with other massive pop acts that have played there.

Wembley means more people which means more income to offset costs.

and I don't think he was moaning about secondary sites ripping off people, they've just offered an option for people to get tickets at face value after they've sold out. but hey, if you'd prefer that he didn't do that and just left it up to touts and Seatwave etc. then fair enough.

1 minute ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Neither of whom have, to my knowledge, sold themselves as affordable to the masses.

i don't think Sheeran has every sold himself as affordable to the masses either? just that he didn't want to be offering meet and greet packages to people with shitloads of money?

although i'd argue that £80 is perfectly affordable to the masses, as these gigs will no doubt prove when they sell out in a flash....

3 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

I didn't know about these apps. Great idea. 

Similar to twickets I suppose

Similar, but without the faff of having to deal with another website. Assuming Dice is the same (I haven't used it), you can't even tell if you're buying a resold ticket or not.

5 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

To a degree you're right, but the tickets that appear instantly (or before sale sometimes) on getmein are provided by the promoter, not a tout who's bought them at face value. So if those sites are banned, the promoter can only get face value profit, so face value would increase. 

you not watched this?

Eye-opening. 

I watched this and it made me feel genuinely sick to the stomach. Getmein and Viagogo should obviously be banned, but to me the way to go should be closing down any and all resale site - whether they be large or small, or for profit or face value. 

2 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

and I don't think he was moaning about secondary sites ripping off people, they've just offered an option for people to get tickets at face value after they've sold out. but hey, if you'd prefer that he didn't do that and just left it up to touts and Seatwave etc. then fair enough.

This is Ed's quote: 

Hey...for this tour I've teamed up with a company called Twickets - which is a safe, sensible and fair place for people to sell or buy any spare tickets they have for the shows. Via Twickets, everything is at face value (or less), so you're protected against fraud and hideous overpricing.

I'd ask all of you to use them and no other of these so called 'secondary sellers' - no matter how legit they look, this is by far the best option, so please...only way you should go for any spare tickets is Twickets

Feel free to reply to the points I've made whenever you want :lol:

Just now, ghostdancer1 said:

i don't think Sheeran has every sold himself as affordable to the masses either? just that he didn't want to be offering meet and greet packages to people with shitloads of money?

although i'd argue that £80 is perfectly affordable to the masses, as these gigs will no doubt prove when they sell out in a flash....

You are Stuart Camp and I claim my £5.

13 minutes ago, st dan said:

I watched this and it made me feel genuinely sick to the stomach. Getmein and Viagogo should obviously be banned, but to me the way to go should be closing down any and all resale site - whether they be large or small, or for profit or face value. 

Sometimes people can no longer go to the gig tho man.

6 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Sometimes people can no longer go to the gig tho man.

Well I appreciate and understand that in these circumstances it is unfortunate. But unfortunately this happens with lots of things, in all walks of life. 

Its clear that they fair, honest option is being manipulated and taken advantage of and has ruined it for people in this situation.

The idea of £70-£80 a pop as being affordable for 'the masses' is for the birds. 

Vast chunks of his base being kids, teens & families. You're a parent of 3, living hand to mouth with stagnant wages and rising living costs. 2 of your kids are obsessed with Sheeran and are desperate to see him, which means you've got to go to. It's ball park £300 before fees, travel, food, drink, accommodation or any other costs associated with hauling ass to a big gig when you live outside of cities. 

You can just about swallow the indignance of this if your man hasn't gassed about the injustice of touts, overpriced ticketing and the disparity between gig experience of those with/without money. 

1 hour ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

I didn't know about these apps. Great idea. 

Similar to twickets I suppose

DICE is absolutely fantastic, couldnt recommend it enough. No booking fees, no postage of tickets - just show your phone on arrival (and they scan a barcode).

Must be helping those smaller artists as well I imagine, I've certainly seen far more acts whose tickets are only 5/10/15 pound in the last year.

Plus they have the waiting list element as well, for when any tickets are returned.

54 minutes ago, st dan said:

Well I appreciate and understand that in these circumstances it is unfortunate. But unfortunately this happens with lots of things, in all walks of life. 

Its clear that they fair, honest option is being manipulated and taken advantage of and has ruined it for people in this situation.

But then the honest person who simply can't go gets punished and the ticket site that's putting these tickets on those sites straight off their batch still gets paid in full by everyone still using that site? Doesn't seem right to me.

Honestly, really eye-opening documentary and all but the story is told in such a way that nobody points the finger at the idiots paying over the odds for the tickets nearly enough. They're the ones creating the market. The victim in the documentary buying a Coldplay ticket for hundreds of pounds? That's why this shit happens. Touting absolutely needs to be made illegal but people need better educating on that not being the way to buy tickets and to just forget about going if it's sold out and otherwise extortionate.

1 hour ago, st dan said:

Doesn't make any sense. Why would you ban all re-sale sites if you only want to ban commercial abuse of re-sales?

You don't fix abuses of a system by introducing rules that mean everyone is screwed.

5 hours ago, Zac Quinn said:

Bet he made a few million out of that contract too. 

Twickets recently raised about a million worth of funding through Seedrs and it seems like they're using it on artists like Adele and Ed Sheeran to established their name, maybe not millions but he's probably done alright from it.   

21 minutes ago, kalifire said:

I'm still holding out hope that it could be somebody other than Sheeran and the Foos. Both are worthy of a slot of course, but neither excite me. Is there any outside chance we could be surprised, do you think?

Can't see it, seems similar to last year when around this time Neil was pretty sure it was Muse/Adele/Coldplay, if anything he seems more convinced of Sher and Foo this time around. 

Not getting worked up about it, been binging Wildflower over the last few weeks so I'm just hoping The Avalanches get a headline slot somewhere any time but Friday.

Edited by SwedgeAntilles