Headliner predictions 2017

swede

From the See page:

Hey...for this tour I've teamed up with a company called Twickets - which is a safe, sensible and fair place for people to sell or buy any spare tickets they have for the shows. Via Twickets, everything is at face value (or less), so you're protected against fraud and hideous overpricing.

I'd ask all of you to use them and no other of these so called 'secondary sellers' - no matter how legit they look, this is by far the best option, so please...only way you should go for any spare tickets is Twickets

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Translation: Only I can rip you off.

Edited by Hugh Jass

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

is he doing special VIP/golden circle/meet & greet tickets?

if not then that photo/quote isn't really valid.

I think you're taking things a bit too literally. It's the principle of what he said and the image he cultivated for himself.

As a comparison, Justin Bieber charged between 45 and 65 quid for his show at Manchester Arena (no I didn't go - just a quick Google). 

This is for someone who is an even bigger star, would arguably have a much bigger stage show, I am guessing he has some sort of backing band too...and while they're different acts probably do have some overlap in their fan bases (especially since Bieber became more "credible")...

Sheeran is ripping off his fans, even if it isn't via meet and greets. Actually meet and greets aren't as bad  as making the main event unaffordable for so many people. 

5 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

is he doing special VIP/golden circle/meet & greet tickets?

if not then that photo/quote isn't really valid.

It's valid in as far as the people he'd have played to in pubs ten years ago will now have their experience at his gigs reduced to watching from the gods as rich privileged kids enjoy the view from floor level.

5 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

From the See page:

Hey...for this tour I've teamed up with a company called Twickets - which is a safe, sensible and fair place for people to sell or buy any spare tickets they have for the shows. Via Twickets, everything is at face value (or less), so you're protected against fraud and hideous overpricing.

I'd ask all of you to use them and no other of these so called 'secondary sellers' - no matter how legit they look, this is by far the best option, so please...only way you should go for any spare tickets is Twickets

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bet he made a few million out of that contract too. I'm trying so hard to be a fan here but this is ethically tragic. Frankly I don't give a shit about it being a "bigger show", give me the chance to see him stand on a table in my local pub for a fiver as happened six years ago and l'll bite your hand off.

Edited by Zac Quinn

6 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

From the See page:

:P

another way of putting it: I want to seem all nice, ethical, kind etc but in reality MONEY MONEY MONEY GIVE ME ALL THE MONEY MUAHAHAHAHAHA

3 minutes ago, arcade fireman said:

I think you're taking things a bit too literally. It's the principle of what he said and the image he cultivated for himself.

As a comparison, Justin Bieber charged between 45 and 65 quid for his show at Manchester Arena (no I didn't go - just a quick Google). 

This is for someone who is an even bigger star, would arguably have a much bigger stage show, I am guessing he has some sort of backing band too...and while they're different acts probably do have some overlap in their fan bases (especially since Bieber became more "credible")...

Sheeran is ripping off his fans, even if it isn't via meet and greets. Actually meet and greets aren't as bad  as making the main event unaffordable for so many people. 

well yeah, because they've posted a literal quote from him. he hasn't started giving meet and greets/VIP ticket packages it seems, so it's nonsense really.

he has upped his ticket prices, just like has presumably done at every stage of his career. should he have just kept prices at £15 like when he started?

i don't think too many people paying £65 a ticket for Justin Bieber (who certainly isn't bigger) are going to be unable to afford £90 for Sheeran. for anyone struggling, neither are affordable, and complete unnecessary luxuries.

29 minutes ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

People shouldn't get additional benefits just cause they can afford additional money.

But they do. Charging £35 for a seat in the gods but £82 to stand on the floor is an exact example of allowing people who can afford to spend a bucketload on gigs to buy themselves a better experience.

Edited by Zac Quinn

14 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

From the See page:

how is he ripping anyone off if they're for face value or less? :huh:

unless you mean on the original prices, which fair enough are expensive but surely a measure like this is to be applauded? highlighting and working with a face value re-selling site rather than the multitude of ones that touts use to rip-off fans, and companies add-on rip-off charges on top of...

11 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

Bet he made a few million out of that contract too. I'm trying so hard to be a fan here but this is ethically tragic.

I doubt it, from everything i've seen of Twickets before this, they're a very small operation that certainly wouldn't have the funds to offer any sort of decent money.

Edited by ghostdancer1

3 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

how is he ripping anyone off if they're for face value or less? :huh:

unless you mean on the original prices, which fair enough are expensive but surely a measure like this is to be applauded?

That's my point, it's grossly hypocritical to be making a public stand against secondry sites "hideously overpricing", his exact words, when you've hideously overpriced in the first place.

You can't tout yourself as a defender of the average fan when you whack 30 notes a ticket on your prices between tours.

Encouraging the use of twickets still isn't an anti-tout measure. Fuck off; it's all hot air. Feel free to charge £70 a pop for a single bloke and his guitar when you're employing actual measures to aid against the problem instead of asking those legitimate few that need to resell to do it for face value. Nah, not having it.

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

That's my point, it's grossly hypocritical to be making a public stand against secondry sites "hideously overpricing", his exact words, when you've hideously overpriced in the first place.

You can't tout yourself as a defender of the average fan when you whack 30 notes a ticket on your prices between tours.

so he should just price all tickets at £15 like he did when he was starting out?

4 minutes ago, Tuna said:

Encouraging the use of twickets still isn't an anti-tout measure. Fuck off; it's all hot air. Feel free to charge £70 a pop for a single bloke and his guitar when you're employing actual measures to aid against the problem instead of asking those legitimate few that need to resell to do it for face value. Nah, not having it.

grand, let's all do nothing so and let touts and Ticketmaster/Seatwave, GetMeIn, Viagogo etc. buy up all the tickets and charge 4 times face value for them for fans to buy them :rolleyes:

if you're in favour of touting then that's up to you i suppose....

Edited by ghostdancer1

2 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

so he should just price all tickets at £15 like he did when he was starting out?

They should be no more than £40 if he wants to have any right to talk about privileged kids being able to afford things poorer kids can't. You'd have been able to take a family of four to be in the standing section on his last arena tour for £144. For this tour, less than three years later, the same experience would cost a family £328 before booking fees. That's just crazy.

4 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

Of course not, he's entitled to charge what he wants and the ticket prices are high but not wildly out of whack with the going rate.

What's annoyed people is the big song and dance he's made in the past about keeping ticket prices low and not ripping people off. Jumping from £45-£55 at Wembley to £84 at the O2 in two years is quite the leap. Charging an extra 70%-80% than last time whilst moaning about secondary sites ripping people off is hypocritical.

5 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

grand, let's all do nothing so and let touts and Ticketmaster/Seatwave, GetMeIn, Viagogo etc. buy up all the tickets and charge 4 times face value for them for fans to buy them :rolleyes:

if you're in favour of touting then that's up to you i suppose....

Did you not read what I said? I'll try again.

Just by saying to his fans that they should use Twickets because it's the right thing to do (which I agree with) isn't going to actually affect the touts from selling them on second hand sites. Asking people to do that nicely isn't just going to make every tout go "oh fuck, actually, Ed's right!"

I'm glad they realise this is a problem but asking people nicely to use Twickets instead of actually putting some of that £70 a head to good use by implementing anti-tout measures is going to achieve sweet fuck all.

I'm still not sure why any form of ticket resale company are allowed to even operate - whether legitimate or not.

If you booked to watch Little Mix with your nan, and now your Aunite Liz is getting married on that day as well, then I'm afraid it's tough. Sell/give them to a friend, or lose out on the money you paid. Opportunity cost and all that ... you can't have it all. 

If they were to get rid of them altogether, we may begin to see ticket prices fall. Otherwise they're only going to continue to rise, until it costs the price of a small car to watch your favourite artist perform on an arena tour. 

Edited by st dan

3 minutes ago, st dan said:

Sell/give them to a friend, or lose out on the money you paid. Opportunity cost and all that ... you can't have it all. 

What's the difference between selling them to a friend (presumably for face value), and selling them to a fan whose circumstances have changed and suddenly are able to go? (for face value, of course)

There just needs to be some bloody legislation.

19 minutes ago, st dan said:

I'm still not sure why any form of ticket resale company are allowed to even operate - whether legitimate or not.

If you booked to watch Little Mix with your nan, and now your Aunite Liz is getting married on that day as well, then I'm afraid it's tough. Sell/give them to a friend, or lose out on the money you paid. Opportunity cost and all that ... you can't have it all. 

If they were to get rid of them altogether, we may begin to see ticket prices fall, otherwise it's going to only contrinute to rise until it costs the price of a small car to watch your favourite artist perform on an arena tour. 

The obvious way around this issue would be for the original ticket outlets to provide an 'I don't want this ticket any more' button right up until the day tickets are printed and posted out, it's absolutely crazy that you have no way of legitimately returning tickets to the vendor

Edited by Zac Quinn

1 minute ago, Tuna said:

What's the difference between selling them to a friend (presumably for face value), and selling them to a fan whose circumstances have changed and suddenly are able to go? (for face value, of course)

There just needs to be some bloody legislation.

The fact that there is no legislation (and unlikely to ever be a completely fair non-profit release site), then they should look at stopping them all. 

There are legitimate users on there whos circumstances have changed and want to honestly sell on their ticket for face value, but this is mixed in with people/companies who are buying them in their hundreds and selling on knowing they'll make a small fortune. 

Whilst they are in existence, they are always going to manipulated by greed, and ruined for those honest ones out there. It is a shame, but it's the world in which we love in I guess!   

1 minute ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

They'd only agree to a refund if they can resell though. 

Yeah and sometimes ticket vendors let you cancel them anyway. I bought tickets for Radiohead at the Roundhouse last year and my exam dates got changed so that they clashed with it. I emailed the ticket vendor explaining and asking whether I could cancel the tickets and they allowed me to.

4 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Trouble is, if secondary sites disappear, face value would probably go up not down as promoters/artists wouldn't be able to give a certain percentage straight to them for hundreds of pounds.

I would still prefer this to how it is now.

Do you think?

I've always been under the impression that (the majority) of artists don't really care about 'fans' and ticket prices as they know their tickets will be bought regardless, by touts if not actual fans. 

If the touts disappeared, they may have to rethink the prices, or they may price people out of tickets. 

its all a question of how much is it worth to those wanting to see him....I wouldnt pay that for sheeran....I wouldnt pay 20 quid for sheeran.....but then I paid 90 quid to see black sabbath at the o2 this Tuesday......worth it for me because in my head they are utter legends and this is literally the last chance to see them as its the farewell tour (and no kidding this time as its due to tonys health issues).....its all a matter of perspective. How much would you pay to see the music you love? 

Also youll probably find ticket prices are set by venus, management, promoters, record companys, etc etc. I doubt the artists have any real sway in it the majority of them dont have much to do with the `business` side of things unless your talking those on independent labels etc.

Edited by waterfalls212434