Headliner predictions 2017

swede

27 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

thanks for that ... as matey includes Tom Tom Club in his top 6 with Remain In Light as number one, and Discipline and Graceland gets in there too, I'm going to have to check out the two of Belew's solo albums that make the list too. It's almost impossible that I won't love them.

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

But that's the thing, if it's the Sunday the 4th down slot is the extended legend slot,and I doubt they'd want to move that from its current position. 

If Foo and the boys are going to have another 2.5 hour set time, they could theoretically give Lady G an extended sub slot and go DiRo-Gaga-Foos. Otherwise Foos will be playing a far shorter set than they were down for last time.

I think it's either this with KC below DiRo as you say and FloorFiller said or Foo's are Saturday night meaning it'll be 7 acts for that day.

12 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

But that's the thing, if it's the Sunday the 4th down slot is the extended legend slot,and I doubt they'd want to move that from its current position. 

If Foo and the boys are going to have another 2.5 hour set time, they could theoretically give Lady G an extended sub slot and go DiRo-Gaga-Foos. Otherwise Foos will be playing a far shorter set than they were down for last time.

It would still be fourth down but earlier in the day..? The start time for the legend slot isn't fixed, it moves about every year. If she does play and whichever day she does, I don't think Lady Gaga would be getting an longer set length anyway; 75 minutes is plenty.

5 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Kaiser Chiefs can play before Diana Ross then if that's the case - a much more suitable slot for them anyway. Them being in the upper reaches of the lineup in 2017 just ain't right.

The rumour was that they were subbing Kaiser Chiefs though. Why even acknowledge it if you're gonna move them down the bill? Just chuck them off the line up all together if you don't want to believe it. :P

6 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

The rumour was that they were subbing Kaiser Chiefs though. Why even acknowledge it if you're gonna move them down the bill? Just chuck them off the line up all together if you don't want to believe it. :P

I'm a realist: they'll probably end up on the lineup, and possibly on the Foos day, and there's a good chance they'll be on the Pyramid I guess, but they are not gonna sub Foos. If the info was correct then something has definitely been lost in translation

Agree that Gaga ain't gonna get an extended set also. An hour fifteen is plenty of time for her to blast through her hits + a couple of new songs

34 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I'm a realist: they'll probably end up on the lineup, and possibly on the Foos day, and there's a good chance they'll be on the Pyramid I guess, but they are not gonna sub Foos. If the info was correct then something has definitely been lost in translation

But then the info wouldn't be correct. They were heavily predicted for middle of the Pyramid anyway so taking the part you already suspected and throwing away the bit that you don't believe isn't the same as accepting it. It would be realist to accept that they've had some weird sub choices in the past few years, some good and some bad, and it'll probably happen again this year. Would we be discussing this if the D'Angelo booking actually came to pass last year? :P

4 hours ago, eFestivals said:

Did you know that Adrian Belew was once (on the sly) asked to replace David Byrne in Talking Heads, when Adrian was part of their touring set-up? 

I'm a HUGE Talking Heads fan, and that's a band member change I'd have actually been hugely interested to see.

Does it get better than Elephant Talk? I think not. :D

Woah... Asked by who? I'm also a Talking Heads obsessive. And loved KC (not fucken Kaiser Chiefs), especially Discipline,  in the day. Interested in this TH story.

Other KC's

Kelly Clarkson

Kasey Chambers

...and the Sunshine Band

All better than the Kaiser Chiefs

4 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Agree that Gaga ain't gonna get an extended set also. An hour fifteen is plenty of time for her to blast through her hits + a couple of new songs

It's probably been said KC are supporting them and it's been taken literally. I don't see them as low as 5th down though.

7 hours ago, henry bear said:

If Gaga and the Kung Fu Fighters  were both down to do elongated sets then perhaps they'd be on different days?

Think they will be. Gaga subbing Sheeran makes way more sense. Royal Blood below Foos I reckz.

14 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

It's probably been said KC are supporting them and it's been taken literally. I don't see them as low as 5th down though.

No one suggested that. He said if it was Foo Fighters, Gaga, Diana Ross as a top 3 then Kaiser can go below Diana Ross (that would make them 4th by the way).

10 hours ago, Waapster said:

Woah... Asked by who? I'm also a Talking Heads obsessive. And loved KC (not fucken Kaiser Chiefs), especially Discipline,  in the day. Interested in this TH story.

Asked by Chris & Tina, who he later decided weren't the best of people.

It's on Belew's wiki.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrian_Belew

Which reminds me, I now have Belew's discography, so will check that out today. :)

The discography which lists all he's played on is something to behold. Did you know he did the vocals on Zappa's 'city of tiny lites'?

18 hours ago, mjsell said:

Would Gaga not get slightly longer than other subs? And wasn't foos scheduled to do an mega long set in 2015?

Thats the only reason why I thought it would be a squeeze. 2 acts that might ask for longer than normal sets.

Subs have always had 75 minutes in recent times. Foo's were down for 150 minutes in 2015 (21:15 - 23:45).

Whether Gaga is still in the running for appearing should become clearer in the next couple of weeks. She's got the Super Bowl HT Show on Feb 5th and she'll probably be announcing a world tour at the same time (mainly because her official twitter retweeted a fan account saying "Lady Gaga's tour is already booked and to be announced after the #PepsiHalftime)

19 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Maybe they're just gonna replicate last time entirely and he'll get injured again!

Paving the way for roses to step in. 

19 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

History repeats itself.

Or Gaga being boosted up ;)

8 minutes ago, Keithy said:

Ahhh, that's why Neil's sounded the "get yourself ready for some big festival announcements tomorrow" klaxon on twitter!

Nope, that wasn't part of why I tweeted.

Two have said they're announcing - Green Man, and R/L. There's at least one other, tho I'm not sure anyone knows its coming so I'll keep my gob shut about that one, but I know (I've seen it) it'll go down very well with some peeps.

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Two have said they're announcing - Green Man, and R/L. There's at least one other, tho I'm not sure anyone knows its coming so I'll keep my gob shut about that one, but I know (I've seen it) it'll go down very well with some peeps.

parklife?

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

Wicked, I'm hoping End Of The Road is that other festival that you're talking about.

8 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Kendall Calling is also announcing tomorrow night

3 hours ago, eFestivals said:

Any word on what the GM announcement may bring?