Headliner predictions 2017

swede

1 hour ago, SPTFRE said:

Maybe my view is a little out of touch with what's popular these days, but I don't see that much difference between that Superbowl show and Beyonce or even Coldplay at Glastonbury (albeit on a slightly lesser budget ofc). Isn't that what this level of pop music requires? I'm not saying the songs or the music become secondary, but people do seem to be focusing on the overall spectacle rather than Gaga's singing ability (for the record, she can clearly sing too). Maybe that's what people demand from their pop megastars since the likes of Michael Jackson's huge shows changed the game?

I'm with you, I'd sooner be blown away by a stripped back vocal performance. Sparkly clothes, lights and confetti canons impress for the first five minutes...

Agreed. 

Have you seen the footage of her just singing at a piano? To me that's much more impressive than drones, acrobatics, confetti and costumes. I understand why she does all these things, the crazy outfits and alter ego, it's to sell records. If she had released songs as herself she wouldn't have had even a tenth of the success she's had as Lady Gaga, but it's just not my bag. There's a place for it, but taking up stage time a Glastonbury isn't it. At a festival performance the music should take centre stage. 

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, Rubber Soldier said:

Agreed. 

Have you seen the footage of her just singing at a piano? To me that's much more impressive than drones, acrobatics, confetti and costumes. I understand why she does all these things, the crazy outfits and alter ego, it's to sell records. If she had released songs as herself she wouldn't have had even a tenth of the success she's had as Lady Gaga, but it's just not my bag. There's a place for it, but taking up stage time a Glastonbury isn't it. At a festival performance the music should take centre stage. 

It's actually a festival of performing arts so I would say there is a place for the crazy stage show.

31 minutes ago, Rubber Soldier said:

There's a place for it, but taking up stage time a Glastonbury isn't it. At a festival performance the music should take centre stage. 

But it's all part of the performance and most acts augment their show by doing something, even if it is only having a few flashy lights. Where do you draw the line?

And main stage Glastonbury slots don't even need to be music focussed at all - the ballet they had on a few years back was fantastic.

44 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

It's actually a festival of performing arts so I would say there is a place for the crazy stage show.

28 minutes ago, Untz said:

But it's all part of the performance and most acts augment their show by doing something, even if it is only having a few flashy lights. Where do you draw the line?

And main stage Glastonbury slots don't even need to be music focussed at all - the ballet they had on a few years back was fantastic.

I guess I just think that the high slot she would undoubtably get, should go to an artist not a performer. 

Bands that use light shows and other effects tend to use them to complement the music, they're never the main event. Watching some of these big pop performers, Gaga, Beyoncé, Swift, I sometimes think they could be singing the phone book and no one would really notice. 

1 minute ago, Rubber Soldier said:

I guess I just think that the high slot she would undoubtably get, should go to an artist not a performer. 

Bands that use light shows and other effects tend to use them to complement the music, they're never the main event. Watching some of these big pop performers, Gaga, Beyoncé, Swift, I sometimes think they could be singing the phone book and no one would really notice. 

I would probably agree if it was compensating for poor music, but they all release solid songs and could just stand there and sing it straight if they wanted.

Then again, the thought of someone making a show out of singing the phone book sounds great to me so maybe I should be quiet.

10 hours ago, Zac Quinn said:

Coldplay put on fancy light shows by controlling wristbands. Gaga puts on fancy light shows by controlling the stars.

to be honest I really hope she plays Glastonbury as that was fantastic!!

Edited by shoptildrop

Has anyone actually looked at the prices for Gaga tickets, I was nearly sick with all the VIP options ranging from £181 to over £1000!!!

Normal seating at MEN (which would be the top tier seating, nose bleed seats) are £115 with normal standing (at the back as there is a golden circle part) at £62 - OMFG!!!! :o:huh:

7 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

Has anyone actually looked at the prices for Gaga tickets, I was nearly sick with all the VIP options ranging from £181 to over £1000!!!

Normal seating at MEN (which would be the top tier seating, nose bleed seats) are £115 with normal standing (at the back as there is a golden circle part) at £62 - OMFG!!!! :o:huh:

Yeah I'm really hoping Gaga plays as I've never fancied paying the prices required to see her!

2 hours ago, st dan said:

In all honesty, Ed (nor any other pop stars) really  give that much of a damn about it, despite what they may say.

At the end of the day, they sell out all their tour dates in minutes and get their full pay day for themselves l and their management team. Whether these go to actual fans or not doesn't matter to them, despite what they say.

Ed could have demanded photo ID tickets limited to 2 of 4 per order if he really wanted to, but that's costly and risky in the fact that certain dates may not have sold out instantly.

And don't get me started on the price he was charging for a ticket in the first place ..... 

I think you're partly right - although the prices are mainly negotiated through the promoters and venues, if an artist as big as him cares that much, he could easily influence this or simply refuse to go ahead with the tour at the negotiated prices.

I mean, the guy could cart his guitar and loop pedal on his back between shows if he wanted to.

The demand for his tour was so massive that literally nobody would have cared about submitting photo ID to buy tickets and it would have prevented these stupid re-sale prices popping up 4 minutes after general public sale.

What's also disturbing is the breakdown of gig ticket prices with approx 75-80% usually going to the artist. Let's say in Ed's case, he takes 70% because he's a generous ginger... that is roughly £55 per standing ticket

If each arena averages 10,000 standing capacity with 15 stops.. that's £8,250,000 in his pocket... JUST FOR STANDING TICKETS!

Do not come out and be sympathetic towards ticket prices when you just made over £8M in several minutes. It's condescending.

23 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

I was about to say the opposite tbh. Standing GA is cheaper than for Ed Sheeran, and you can bet you'll see more of your money on stage seeing Gaga. But yeah no doubt you'd have to be a hell of a c**t to pay £1000 for little more than a lanyard, dinner, access to a soundcheck Gaga won't even be at, and a "pre-show group professional photo" (note, singular).

Edited by Zac Quinn

12 minutes ago, Rubber Soldier said:

I'm unashamedly a music snob. I think eeryone should be snobby about their music taste. What music you like is such a deeply personal thing, I don't get why you wouldn't be snobby about it. 

I think everyone should be passionate about the music they like, which you can be without being snobby about it. As you say, music can be a very personal thing, so why turn your nose up to what someone else may like just because you happen to disagree.

Having watched the h/t show I am hoping Gaga makes it to the Farm - and the more extravagant the show the better! But would prefer her to be headlining than subbing as predicted at present. Surely if she comes it will be as a headliner!!

8 minutes ago, FrancisH said:

I mean, those Gaga tickets are mad expensive, but also - cue several pages of debate on gig ticket prices again as per Ed, about how awful she is for ripping fans off etc etc

In summary: Gigs are expensive, the end.

The key difference being - unless I've missed something - Gaga has never made a great song and dance out of refusing to price poor people out of things rich people can just walk in and snap up.

Some of these ticket prices are spiralling out of control. 

Problem is, whilst people are still willing to pay it they'll continue to charge these prices, and more. I get sucked in as much as anyone I suppose, but only for the acts I really have to see. I would like to have seen Pet Shop Boys on this latest tour but I couldn't justify £60-£70, ditto Black Sabbath. Despite being a big fan, I couldn't justify paying £70 for Stone Roses at Wembley this year, after seeing them at Heaton Park, Finsbury Park and City of Manchester stadium, all three being pretty much exactly the same setlist. But at least that's a stadium show with 3/4 support acts. These Gaga and Sheeran shows are in arenas.

For the price that some gigs go for, you can get a ticket for a European festival like Benicassim or BBK Bilbao, plus flights of course, but there isn't much difference for me to travel to London, get a hotel and a ticket at the O2 once it's all factored in. And it's three or more days' worth of entertainment.

I'm consciously trying to see more up and coming acts, supporting the smaller venues as much as I can. It's cheaper, less soulless and doesn't feel like it's a "good evening [insert name of arena/city here]!", followed by the same setlist as the preceeding 20 arena shows.

9 minutes ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

I think everyone should be passionate about the music they like, which you can be without being snobby about it. As you say, music can be a very personal thing, so why turn your nose up to what someone else may like just because you happen to disagree.

Turning up your nose at someone else'a music taste doesn't delegitimise their taste though does it? If you like something I don't you better believe I'll tell you I think it's shite. It doesn't mean I'm right does it? It doesn't make your opinion any less valid. 

5 minutes ago, Rubber Soldier said:

Turning up your nose at someone else'a music taste doesn't delegitimise their taste though does it? If you like something I don't you better believe I'll tell you I think it's shite. It doesn't mean I'm right does it? It doesn't make your opinion any less valid. 

If you're wanting to enter a discussion about how your taste differs to that of someone else then that's fine. I still think you can do that without having to be a snob about it, which is what you said you're happy to be.

That's just me though.

4 minutes ago, Rubber Soldier said:

I think there's a difference in having an opinion about someone else's taste in music and expressing your opinion on someone's taste in music. For instance, I'll never understand why a person would enter a thread about an act they clearly dislike only to express a pointless fact that the band being discussed is shit. I've never got that.

I do agree with you though, there's probably a bit of music snob in all of us. On here, I tend to stay silent unless prompted and at a festival, I vote with my feet. Which is what I will do if and when Ed Sheeran headlines :-)

37 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

Long time reader but don't usually post(!) however I emailed LiveNation about ticket prices earlier this morning and they start at £35 for seated in Manchester, progressing to £55, £80 and then £105 plus booking fee :)